Speculation: Devils need a defenceman ASAP as Siegenthaler breaks foot

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
There is no question Caufield >>>>> Holtz. I mean, its not even close on any level.

Ruff would agree! :)
then why does he produce less at even strength? or is he very good defensively? brings a physical edge against opponents?

the simple truth is he wears a montreal jersey and you watch everything through homer glasses. caufield is better than holtz. but at least this season the edge is nowhere close to >>>>>. with holtz being a full year younger than caufield the gap may shrink even more in the future.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No one's hating on Holtz. He's got serious issues as Lindy Ruff has raised awareness to with his usage. I don't profess to know more than the NJD coach. I just know that he knows more about the team and its players than your collective fan base.

Obviously.

That’s always your choice. But you are also looking at a development curve as a permanent thing. You have no idea how Ruff sees Holtz beyond today. How many young players are finished products? I’d think as a self professed junior hockey fan you’d realize that young people almost always make progress and it happens at different rates. He’s 22. Mike McLeod just took his jump as a player at 25. Hischier did it at 23 and Jack Hughes did it at 21. If you write off Holtz now you are doing him and yourself a disservice. Holtz is flawed but still has time to correct the things he needs work on. If you don’t like what you perceive to be his skill set that’s fine but yiu have no idea how Ruff sees where Holtz could end up.

My3Sons

Sponsor
What i think is irrelevant. What Lindy Ruff thinks is both relevant and eye opening. He doesn't trust him at all when the game is on the line.

Devils fans are so adorable thinking they know more than Lindy Ruff! LOL

He’s 22. Tell me again how Ruff sees his potential long term. Why is this about where a 22 year old developing player is today? A player at that age and experience level is learning. You are applying a myopic standard for some reason. It rings shrill and hollow. Hopefully Ruff is MTL’s next coach. I’m sure you will be thrilled with his coaching.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
What i think is irrelevant. What Lindy Ruff thinks is both relevant and eye opening. He doesn't trust him at all when the game is on the line.

Devils fans are so adorable thinking they know more than Lindy Ruff! LOL
We know more than you that's for sure lol....and all your doing is trying to antagonize people by you defending Ruff....Laughable every coach has their favorites and their doghouse but according to you Lindy is the one exception....Move on stop trolling it's obvious u don't know what you are talking about....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He’s 22. Tell me again how Ruff sees his potential long term. Why is this about where a 22 year old developing player is today? A player at that age and experience level is learning. You are applying a myopic standard for some reason. It rings shrill and hollow. Hopefully Ruff is MTL’s next coach. I’m sure you will be thrilled with his coaching.
Now you are getting it. A player of Holtz's age is still developing. He has major warts that the coach is trying to correct. Nothing wrong with that and good on Lindy Ruff for working on his game. Why you are up in a tizzy is beyond me. Take a deep breath and exhale my friend. Its not the end of the world. Holtz will one day become competent. Its a process. :)

My3Sons

Sponsor
Now you are getting it. A player of Holtz's age is still developing. He has major warts that the coach is trying to correct. Nothing wrong with that and good on Lindy Ruff for working on his game. Why you are up in a tizzy is beyond me. Take a deep breath and exhale my friend. Its not the end of the world. Holtz will one day become competent. Its a process. :)

I’m not in a tizzy. Your earlier posts came across as permanently branding him based on where his game is now. That’s a common trope in the board. Had you led with this I doubt you’d have gotten any pushback.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m not in a tizzy. Your earlier posts came across as permanently branding him based on where his game is now. That’s a common trope in the board. Had you led with this I doubt you’d have gotten any pushback.
No one is branding him as permanently flawed. I mean, the jury is still out on him. But i always keep an open mind with young developing players. Like Nemec, he has a long way to go but is on the right track.

I support Lindy Ruff's efforts to turn Holtz into a competent two-way player - especially for a team that aspirations of a playoff spot. Every point matters and you can't afford to have young players making major mistakes at the wrong time.

Now try to calm down and enjoy your Saturday! Don't let my posts get you down. :)

Tranquillo!

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
No one is branding him as permanently flawed. I mean, the jury is still out on him. But i always keep an open mind with young developing players. Like Nemec, he has a long way to go but is on the right track.

I support Lindy Ruff's efforts to turn Holtz into a competent two-way player - especially for a team that aspirations of a playoff spot. Every point matters and you can't afford to have young players making major mistakes at the wrong time.

Now try to calm down and enjoy your Saturday! Don't let my posts get you down. :)

Tranquillo!

I promise at my age I’m not getting worked up over this. I realize it’s hard to discern tone and intent from written words only. I’m more like resigned and disappointed when posters seemingly trash young players on other teams. You explained yourself and I get it. One point still stands though which is that NJ fans won’t respond well to praising Ruff. Maybe he’s correct on things but he’s turned off large parts of the fanbase this season for better or worse.

Reactions: Smitty426

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Some say Guhle shouldn't be traded, but 2024 is a defensemen draft.

Habs will draft around 6-10th, where there's plenty of quality defensemen available.

Buium is incredible, chances are he's gonna be available around those picks.

Plus Habs have plenty of young LHD in the NHL and in the system.

Personally, I wouldn't fall in love with our LHD, MB did this and it wasn't the way to go.

In my mind, if Guhle is traded for an equivalent talented forward, it's fine by me.

The most important thing is the pay back, it has to be equivalent in value and in age.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Mercer would they move him?

Devil's up against the cap with 4 or 5 guys up for increases next season. Mercer, Toffoli, Daws, McLeod.
We're fine with the Cap. Toffoli will walk and he's replaced with Holtz who is on a ELC. Daws has only played 7 games. He can't ask for anything. Only people getting raises is Mercer and McLeod. Mercer essentially just takes up Toffoli's contract. McLeod will get a few million but nothing crazy. Mercer is one of our core pieces. I don't see a scenario he gets moved unless it's for something insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad