Confirmed with Link: Devils name Ryane Clowe assistant coach

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Very happy to see this. I hate to see anyone have their career cut short by injury and Clowe always seemed to be both passionate and a great teammate. I think he'll be a good influence and hopefully he has been learning while staying with the team and can hep us out in whatever capacity they slot him in at. Glad to have him more active for sure though.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Awesome! As a Sharks fan, Clowe will always be one of my favorites. Kinda had a sense he would be a coach someday...he coached our ECHL team a little bit while he was recovering from an injury.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL @ Kevin Kurz saying back in the winter that Wilson and Shero would maybe try and find a way to get him back to the Sharks to work there. :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Pronger can get a safety job with the league while still under contract than I don't see an issue here.

Assuming it is a special assignment coach or something.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Count me among the many Sharks fans that still is a big fan of Ryane's. I was really sad to hear injuries ended his playing career, so I am very happy for him he's gone into the coaching role many of us assumed he would eventually end up in. I wish he was doing it with the Sharks, but I imagine still technically being under contract with you guys might have posed a bit of a complication with that.... :laugh:

Best of luck to him, and I am sure he will be a great coach.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Kings fans jumped on this in the main board thread, but it looks like he'll do wonders teaching the Devils players how to play the puck from the bench.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It really is a shame his playing career ended the way it did. I loved the way he played and wanted him on the Devils for years, but it finally happened like 3 years too late. Maybe some of that warrior mentality will rub off on the players with him helping out the coaching staff.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Clowe was very effective for us when he was in the lineup. I remember being quite impressed with his passing and playmaking, which were better than advertised.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pass on Martin Brodeur, Pass on Scott Stevens...Add Ryan Clowe.

Decision making at its finest.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
this is actually much bigger than it seems. so many players have named Clowe as a leader, the best guy in the locker room, vocal, etc... and usually where there's smoke, there's fire. I really feel like having him on staff is going to do wonders over the next 2-3 years as the best prospects we've had in god knows how long really start to make an impact.

ray shero, man

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

I believe the thinking there was that we rode the '95 Nostalgia Train as far into the ground as we could, and we needed a complete culture change. in some ways that sucks, but if it makes us a better organization- and it'd be hard to argue we aren't trending up- then I'm all for it.

although I wish the Stevens thing played out differently. Marty, I think he wanted to try something new, whereas Scotty got run out a bit.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

We all love Stevens but you don't tell a coach who to hire, it's his staff. And Marty is best off somewhere else, the situation in Colorado is so awkward.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, it is. Clowe has very little connection to this organization. If he wants to go elsewhere for a larger role someday, they'd let him, and if the Devils think he's doing a bad job, they can fire him and hire someone else. Clowe explained that despite not knowing anyone in the new organization, he fit in well.

The Rangers finally froze Mark Messier out of the organization enough that he gave up and left. The Avs are currently being run by their best players from the late 90s who are making a mess. Trevor Linden is helping extend Vancouver's Cupless streak and Cam Neely and Don Sweeney are ruining Boston. It's neat if your best players from years ago can come back and run the team and be successful, but it's much worse when they're the opposite. Edmonton still employs Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Stevens left because of Deboer. I wouldn't have minded to see him on the current staff but that's how friction gets created if Hynes doesn't choose him.

As for Marty and the Assistant GM situation...the whole St. Louis thing is awkward to me. Going there at the end of his career leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe he'll come back in the future at some point. I think Fitzgerald has done a great job with our young players, I don't know if Brodeur has a similar role with St. Louis but Fitzgerald is a really great guy. He was an NHL captain. He's brought in Lappin and other free agents as well.

I believe him and Lou's time at Providence overlapped too but don't quote me on that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Please tell me that Foligno is gone and outta here now?

He was doing scouting for us last year or that supposedly was the case. I remember watching some other game where whatever team I was watching was playing in Buffalo, and the commentators mentioned that they ''Ran into Mike Foligno before the game, he's here tonight'' and I'm pretty sure the game TG mentioned him being at doing scouting for us was when we played Buffalo early last year.

The only thing I'd be comfortable with him scouting for us is scouting for stains on the restroom floors at the rock.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

You're trying too hard to dislike this move.

This was barely more than giving a guy who loves the game something to do in place of not being able to do anything except hang around the rink and think of what could have been. It's a first step at being in hockey still rather than around it as an observer.

He even comments to that effect at the start of the video. He tagged along through the front office roles as a rover to fill in and got a taste. This is just the next step to being more productive to the team since he can't be on the ice.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I personally like passing on Brodeur and Stevens and hiring a guy that didn't really make a career out of playing here.

It's not hard to feel that way or see my way of thinking here, all you gotta do is take a look at Colorado and see what's happening there. That's their version of Brodeur and Stevens over there, destroying franchise and given way too much leeway. Joe Nieuwendyk as the GM in Dallas? The John MacLean head coaching experiment in New Jersey? Just a couple of other examples.

Not that I'd care if we hired Marty as an executive or Stevens as an assistant, but you know the day will come where Stevens might wanna be a head coach or Marty might wanna be the actual GM. And when that time came, we'd either need to insert them in those positions, or we'd just wind up moving on from them then.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I think it says a lot about Clowe as a person/coach that the new staff wanted to keep him around and expand on his role. He is, by all accounts, a smart and great guy to have around. I bet he's a head coach one day in the league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, it is. Clowe has very little connection to this organization. If he wants to go elsewhere for a larger role someday, they'd let him, and if the Devils think he's doing a bad job, they can fire him and hire someone else. Clowe explained that despite not knowing anyone in the new organization, he fit in well.

The Rangers finally froze Mark Messier out of the organization enough that he gave up and left. The Avs are currently being run by their best players from the late 90s who are making a mess. Trevor Linden is helping extend Vancouver's Cupless streak and Cam Neely and Don Sweeney are ruining Boston. It's neat if your best players from years ago can come back and run the team and be successful, but it's much worse when they're the opposite. Edmonton still employs Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish.
Ahh yes, I even forgot about Neely in Boston and Lowe and MacBraindamage in Edmonton.

And Linden in Vancouver is another former player that's now a complete HACK in management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad