Confirmed with Link: Devils name Ryane Clowe assistant coach

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Watch us get penalized 3 first round picks and a $2 million fine for some sort of cap circumvention from this, with the fine somehow going to Chris Pronger :sarcasm:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Do we have to protect Clowe for the expansion draft now? :sarcasm:

Seriously good for him though...I wonder who he replaces? Or if he's just part of the minor league staff?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
But... he's still technically a player no?

Awesome for Clowe, always liked him as a person and glad he's going to remain on board. Just curios as to how this worked out. It's probable I just missed something :laugh:

Okay, so I just started watching the video and that girl mentions he retired. I definitely missed something, and/or forgot something

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Good for him. He always seemed like he'd get into coaching after his hockey career ended (during the latest lockout he helped coach the San Francisco Bulls, ECHL team of the Sharks during the time)
Always was a fan favorite in San Jose, hope he does well for you guys

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But... he's still technically a player no?

Awesome for Clowe, always liked him as a person and glad he's going to remain on board. Just curios as to how this worked out. It's probable I just missed something :laugh:

Okay, so I just started watching the video and that girl mentions he retired. I definitely missed something, and/or forgot something

If he officially retired he gives up a lot of money the last two years of his contract though he'll get some back with the coach's salary I guess. But I guess he didn't want to wait two more years before getting into coaching either.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I love this move by the management. Ryane seems like a great guy, he had some horrible luck with injuries so i'm glad to see the team give him an opportunity to stick around in some capacity without any further risk to his health :)

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I'm confused. So he's officially retired now? Am I just forgetting this from earlier in the year?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We're just barely over the cap foor now

Even if Clowe retired and his contract was off the books, which he didn't and it isn't, we'd only be 400k below the cap floor with 5 roster defensemen and without Boucher signing his RFA extension. We're fine.

I'm confused. So he's officially retired now? Am I just forgetting this from earlier in the year?

No he's not retired, the CBA is just terribly written so guys like Pronger and Clowe can be "active players" but take other jobs as long as they're on LTIR.

If he retired he'd be leaving the remaining $10m he's owed on the table, he has no incentive to retire and we can't force him to. Not that it matters, insurance pays his actual salary and we get cap relief from LTIR.

Pronger set the precedent when he took a job with the league despite technically being on Philly's roster at the time, and now he's in the HHoF while still technically on Arizona's roster.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Did he officially retire? Because if he did that means his salary cap is off the books.

Maybe he signed a coaching contract with that same salary? (or a little less?)

So maybe he made a deal with the owners/management that if he signs his retirement papers, they will pay him that money through coaching instead? Idk how this works....

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Random retirement/signing/hire Tuesday? :dunno:

I like Clowe, good to have him around in a greater capacity instead of just stalking practices.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'm thinking he must have done a lot to earn the position, good for him.

His player contract is indeed a mystery with regard to the cap and payroll so I guess we'll find out the details soon enough.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Did he officially retire? Because if he did that means his salary cap is off the books.

So maybe he made a deal with the owners/management that if he signs his retirement papers, they will pay him that money through coaching instead? Idk how this works....

He did not officially retire and he would be insane to do so. He's still due $9.7MM in salary over the next two seasons, which he would forfeit if he retired.

There would be no incentive for the Devils to have him retire and pay him that money through coaching (plus, that type of thing is illegal in the CBA and they'd get hammered for it). His cap charge is not hurting the team at all.

If his contract was insured, then the Devils aren't paying it anyway. I know most fans believe it is, however I don't think that was ever proven either way.

Poor choice of words by the woman interviewing him to mention "retirement".

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Nope, he just didn't correct Julie in the interview

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad