Confirmed with Link: Devils name Ryane Clowe assistant coach

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it says a lot about Clowe as a person/coach that the new staff wanted to keep him around and expand on his role. He is, by all accounts, a smart and great guy to have around. I bet he's a head coach one day in the league.

And despite what some think about Shero and the owners trying to out all former Devils, they even kept Brylin in Albany and it was Shero that personally made the hiring of Scott Clemmensen as the goalie development rover or whatever the position is called.

Besides all that, I could take or leave Stevens as an assistant anyway. When he was an assistant the first two years, Salvador was still playing over 20 minutes a night, despite being not good anymore. We were playing Fraser when he came back after DeBoer was gone. I still have this theory and belief that he loves ''Dat physicality they bring'' with players like that in the lineup. And I really have no evidence that makes me think he was a great coach at defense. Aside from Larsson growing under him when he returned, I don't think he really did much good. I'm not saying he did much bad either, I just don't think he did anything to stand out in a positive way either. To be fair to him, I know Oates was running things too, so it's hard when you have that moron as your partner at ANYTHING.

And also, why do we owe guys like Brodeur and Stevens positions in our organization? Because of what they did as players? Organizations like Colorado, Vancouver, Boston and Edmonton are in trouble/have gotten themselves into trouble all because they hired guys that were beloved players for them to be in positions of too much power.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clowe was very effective for us when he was in the lineup. I remember being quite impressed with his passing and playmaking, which were better than advertised.

He was good for us when he signed, it was only the fact that he couldn't get a love tap without sustaining a concussion towards the end there.

He produced at a pretty decent clip when he was actually in games. Oh and you wanna laugh? For as washed up as people accused Clowe of being, he scored 30 points in 56 games as a Devil. You know how many points the guy he replaced has scored since leaving the Devils? EXACTLY 30 ALSO!

Only in 144 games total. Clowe scored exactly as many points as a Devil in 88 fewer games played than Clarkson has since he left the Devils. And for all the ''The contract was terrible, dude has scrambled eggs for brains'' talk, we have the luxury of leaving him on LTIR. Clarkson is still healthy enough to haunt the Blue Jackets roster for almost 30 games per season and they HAVE to play him.

That's ****ing funny.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Clowe was one of my favorite players for a stretch there prior to him actually coming to NJ. When he got here I just hoped he could stay healthy. He was in essence a throwback hockey player. Could put up respectable points but could also put his fist in your face. Granted that's basically why he can no longer but from all accounts he a class act, fantastic guy in the locker room, and I'm pretty happy he's staying on board here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What is Clowe's role. Is he a new bench coach or practice?

Speaking of giving character guys roles with the team. I would be down to bring Sal back as a coach.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Speaking of giving character guys roles with the team. I would be down to bring Sal back as a coach.

I read on the fire and ice blog that he was going to be our "eye in the sky" assistant that watches from upstairs and radio's down to Hynes and the other coaches on their earpieces.

I don't think we had one of those this past year, other than Terreri.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

Sal works with growing the game all over. I think he's in Australia or something like that. He'd be a fantastic addition.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
At least he's working while we pay him. :P

Seriously, I think it will be good for Clowe to be around the game again, and he might have valuable insights. And it doesn't hurt to show the organization as one that will look out for its players and give them these kind of opportunities.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let's keep this thread about Clowe going forward, I know it's the offseason but no more intentionally driving stuff off topic

Last edited:

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Patrick Roy and Wayne Gretzky didn't turn out to be great executives. As much as I love Marty and think the statue and jersey retirement were well-deserved, I'm glad he's not risking tarnishing his legacy by being an executive here. He has nothing more to prove in New Jersey. He's already as great as it gets to us. No sense in risking it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad