LeBrun: Devils may trade for Markstrom without salary retention

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hopefully the package headed to Calgary is way less than originally offered, Calgary has waited themself into only having 1 trade partner.
Lol, that’s not the case at all. We’re not the ones crawling back. He’s not a pending UFA, your GM is now willing to negotiate without retention involved. Sounds like he is the one with who was waited himself, perhaps too long.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Old players with large cap hits totally have peak value in the offseason.
I was replying to someone who stated Calgary only has one trade partner now and therefore the price should be lower. I didn’t say anything about value peaking. Waiting for the offseason will open up more suitors/options.

Besides that, we’re not talking about a backup tender here. Markstrom is elite and in his prime.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
do-it.gif

Reactions: DaveG

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I was replying to someone who stated Calgary only has one trade partner now and therefore the price should be lower. I didn’t say anything about value peaking. Waiting for the offseason will open up more suitors/options.

Besides that, we’re not talking about a backup tender here. Markstrom is elite and in his prime.
He's 34 years old

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Lol, that’s not the case at all. We’re not the ones crawling back. He’s not a pending UFA, your GM is now willing to negotiate without retention involved. Sounds like he is the one with who was waited himself, perhaps too long.
2 things can be true at once, sure NJ seems like they are willing to take the full hit now but the package should be significantly less than originally discussed.

Calgary waited and now NJ is the only interested party, NJ waited because Markstrom isn't the only goalie available. You can choose to see that as beneficial for Calgary but I think waiting until you've only got 2 options 1 trade him to NJ or 2 keep an unhappy player isn't great for them.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
2 things can be true at once, sure NJ seems like they are willing to take the full hit now but the package should be significantly less than originally discussed.

Calgary waited and now NJ is the only interested party, NJ waited because Markstrom isn't the only goalie available. You can choose to see that as beneficial for Calgary but I think waiting until you've only got 2 options 1 trade him to NJ or 2 keep an unhappy player isn't great for them.
Kind of doubt that's the case. Perhaps the only team that has the pieces we want now. I'd prefer to move him now, but if the offer was just Holtz or something I'd just move on and send him somewhere else in the summer.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Maybe next time don't have someone from your FO tell the world you think the guy you're trying to trade for is a top 5 goalie in the world?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

NJ is the most vocal and got the closest to acquiring Markstrom, that doesn’t mean they’re the only ones. I don’t remember where but Carolina and LA I believe also inquired a while back.

Markstrom will be moved at this rate, whether it be now or in the off-season. You know, where a lot of trade talk happens at the draft table. Where every team has a fresh new start for the new season. And i can guarantee multiple teams will inquire about him, because if you think the price for Markstrom is high, good luck trying to get Ullmark or Saros who cost much more.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Devils are not so different than the squad who were 1 point from top in the division last year.

Trading for Markstrom makes too much sense. Do we know for sure what Hamilton's fate is? If there's a chance he returns, you make this trade

And heck, why not do it anyway? Even if the Devils miss the playoffs they'd have Markstrom for the next season. I doubt the cost changes much.

And now that Markstrom spoke out against management now is the time to strike

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Kind of doubt that's the case. Perhaps the only team that has the pieces we want now. I'd prefer to move him now, but if the offer was just Holtz or something I'd just move on and send him somewhere else in the summer.
You're probably right, teams say one thing and do another all the time.

NJ is the most vocal and got the closest to acquiring Markstrom, that doesn’t mean they’re the only ones. I don’t remember where but Carolina and LA I believe also inquired a while back.

Markstrom will be moved at this rate, whether it be now or in the off-season. You know, where a lot of trade talk happens at the draft table. Where every team has a fresh new start for the new season. And i can guarantee multiple teams will inquire about him, because if you think the price for Markstrom is high, good luck trying to get Ullmark or Saros who cost much more.
I know Carolina has come out and said they're not looking for a goalie now, but like I said teams say one thing and do another all the time. The draft makes a whole lot of sense, NJ would know the fate of their 1st and where it is.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Certainly not a goalie in his prime. In fact the numbers for goalies from 34-36 years old are pretty awful historically.
According to the stats he’s a top ~10 goalie in the league right now. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Besides that, once again, I’m not saying anything about peak value, or value in general. I literally just stated the Flames have the option of not trading him.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Flames openly had Hanifin, Tanev and Lindholm on the market. Maybe sorta Zadorov too. None of them complained.

Markstrom wasn't openly on the market and now is annoyed at management at how much smoke relating to him is out in the open.

The rumors on talks claim the discussions broke down twice. I don't think it's unreasonable to deduce it's NJD who keeps circling back. It's certainly an odd rumor / leak though.

The Devils are not so different than the squad who were 1 point from top in the division last year.

Trading for Markstrom makes too much sense. Do we know for sure what Hamilton's fate is? If there's a chance he returns, you make this trade

And heck, why not do it anyway? Even if the Devils miss the playoffs they'd have Markstrom for the next season. I doubt the cost changes much.

And now that Markstrom spoke out against management now is the time to strike

I assume you're in the thread in peace and just as a normal hockey fan, but an Edmonton fan speaking positively of trading away Markstrom kinds weirds me out.

To be fair, I feel the same for Vancouver fans saying that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad