Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to the Flyers 3-1

Devils 3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
They scored only one goal against that crap defence and a goalie who couldn't save a beach ball until last night - not good.

Reactions: glenwo2

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
for everyone wanting to see comrie, granted it’s small sample size but in his nhl stints over 4 years he’s never had a save percentage reaching .900. he probably isn’t going to be appreciably better. we need blackwood and dell to be our tandem asap

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
also, while i think everyone would agree that our record right now is at least as good as anyone should have expected, the team is frustrating to watch because they actually should be better - they let 4 points get away from them this week and the thing dragging down this team isn’t the young players stagnating, it’s the veterans who are not showing up. if palms, goose and subban played like they played last year we’d be towards the top of the standings. preseason expectations aside this team is not performing up to their potential which is all i really want to see

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Palmieri's trade value last year was peak considering his age and performance.

Most people here were willing to sign him to a multi-year extension then.

I hope he bounces back (next to Nico) and we trade him away as a rental. I'm also willing to cut the cord with Gusev.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I mean on the surface Gusev and Palmieris trade value would/will never have been higher than it was last year. They're both limited as far as return now this year but hopefully they just need to get going. This was the longest anyone has gone without hockey since they were kids and it's a new system. Hopefully this happens soon because we can't just rely on Jack just yet.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I’m going to say what probably bucks the trend here, but here it goes. I’m well aware that Palmieri not lighting the lamp at all is a problem. And that the timing of him needing a new deal also makes it problematic.

That said, I think the turning by a lot of people here on him after 7 games is pretty over the top and ridiculous.

I would think this guy, the most consistent producer we’ve had for 5 straight seasons, would have built up more goodwill than that. Sadly though, as per usual, everyone wants to deal him because he’s turning 30 and want to sell while they still can.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, our current problem is scoring goals. And while Palms lack of goal scoring currently is an issue, he’s a proven commodity. You get rid of that and who will replace that level of production? It would be shocking to see him not start to fill the net eventually given his play trends.

He obviously needs to start scoring, but it cracks me up how fast people turn on a dime on players as they get older. This is the Zajac conversation all over again.

Owenay

Feb 9, 2008
Poinciana, FL
The PK has been bad, but that PP is atrocious.

First, they can't win a faceoff so most PPs are cleared quickly killing a solid 15-20 seconds almost every time.

Then that rush up the ice is SO painfully predictable. D-man skates it up to about center ice then he almost stops and either turns around and passes or drop passes it to a forward back deep in his own zone. Then that forward sprints up the ice and either tries a few give-and-goes with another forward or tries to weave his way through center ice while the rest of the team is standing still and forming a wall with the opposing team at the blueline. Pretty much everyone not named Hughes gets it taken and cleared 90% of the time. The "Flying-V" would be more affective.

But if they do manage to get possession in the zone it's always one of three things:
1. Cycling and chaos with few solid chances and too many missed nets.
2. Umbrella formation with slow, predictable puck movement around the perimeter.
3. Subban with his ridiculous wind-up slapper that either soars a foot wide of the net or gets blocked and countered.

Then yesterday they were trying way too hard to force a shot to Palmeiri that it too became very telegraphed.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I enjoy clowning on players, but Palmieri was more active than usual last night. He's definitely not a creator but any means.
The last time he stick handled successfully in the neutral zone: Devils v Senators at PEI
01:38-01:45

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I’m going to say what probably bucks the trend here, but here it goes. I’m well aware that Palmieri not lighting the lamp at all is a problem. And that the timing of him needing a new deal also makes it problematic.

That said, I think the turning by a lot of people here on him after 7 games is pretty over the top and ridiculous.

I would think this guy, the most consistent producer we’ve had for 5 straight seasons, would have built up more goodwill than that. Sadly though, as per usual, everyone wants to deal him because he’s turning 30 and want to sell while they still can.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, our current problem is scoring goals. And while Palms lack of goal scoring currently is an issue, he’s a proven commodity. You get rid of that and who will replace that level of production? It would be shocking to see him not start to fill the net eventually given his play trends.

He obviously needs to start scoring, but it cracks me up how fast people turn on a dime on players as they get older. This is the Zajac conversation all over again.

That's not the point, though. The point is that you can't efficiently go in 2 directions at the same time.

If you deal Coleman and Greene for futures, if you don't re-sign veterans and your lineup is full of unproven kids, you are not trying to contend. If you are not trying to contend, there's no point in investing in a multi-year deal to veterans nearing 30 (Gusev and Palmieri) that you can't easily dump later.

The cold streak of Palmieri actually makes it harder to trade him because if he keeps playing like that, there's a chance that he may settle for 1 year contract with us.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah it’s one thing with Subban or even a guy like Gusev, the former has never done squat for us and the latter has only produced in junktime last year. But Palm has had several years of solid production, seven games after a long layoff shouldn’t cancel that.

The question of trading him is different from fans just going over the top and saying scratch him, he’s not trying and all that junk though. The longer he’s unsigned trading him becomes more realistic, and no I don’t think seven games is going to affect his value. They can’t just play out another mediocre at best season and lose him at the end of the year for squat.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He’s already skating on his own. He’s not going to be doing that for over a month.

Not to mention how quickly they rushed Bratt in the lineup showed their desperation to get scoring into the lineup. As soon as Nico is cleared for full contact he’ll be in the lineup in short order.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Camille the Eel

I have not read through this entire thread, but on the 2nd goal by the fliers, hughes was straight up tripped, giving the puck bang bang goal to the other team. They need to rotate refs. Basically gave them all momentum from there
I thought the same thing. But also,

While Wedgewood’s play has been a pleasant surprise, if we had had Blackwood in net we may very well have won at least one of the last 2 games. Two games lost in a row on tough 3d period go ahead Flyers goals on chaotic scrambling plays at our net mouth. Very possibly Blackwood makes one of those saves. We have lost 3 of 4 since Blackwood got Covid.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
People were saying the same thing about DeBoer.

Hynes had .487% win percentage here with (mostly) an awful roster.

That's awful ...

Wins from 2015-16 to 2019-20

25 New Jersey Devils 169
26 Arizona Coyotes 166
27 Ottawa Senators 164
28 Vancouver Canucks 163
29 Buffalo Sabres 156
30 Detroit Red Wings 153
31 Vegas Golden Knights 133

we were 25th in the league in wins from 2015-16 to 2019-20...And really 26th...Vegas is below us in wins only because they didn't come into the league until 2017.

Edit:
By Point percentage:

26 New Jersey Devils .492
27 Arizona Coyotes .475
28 Vancouver Canucks.474
29 Ottawa Senators .471
30 Buffalo Sabres .460
31 Detroit Red Wings .449

Last edited:

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
what am I lying about exactly? Teams win games they shouldn't and lose games they should win all the time? It happens all the time.

the Devils deserved to win that game last night. They probably didn't deserve to win one of their earlier games this year.

Like I said, these things happen.

You lied about what I previously said about Subban. You are a liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad