Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to the Flames (3-2)

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The team looks the same way to me.

Defense is still breaking down, timely goals are not being scored, and the losing continues.
Kovalchuk may be gone, but it's the same old story.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The issue is and always has been horrendous old defense. Not Kovy, not Marty, but horrible d consisting of Sal, Volch, Zids and young Larsson who honestly sucks at the moment. Greene is the only above average defenseman on this team and he's no number one rock to lean on. That's it. Plus Deboer's awful decisions. Kovy leaving won't turn us into the devils of old. Having the clear cut best goalie in the league+ hall of fame/all star defensemen will.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I actually like the look of those forward lines in all honesty. I have been hoping to see those exact combinations for a while. aside from gionta obviously.

Last edited:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm starting to think resigning Zidlicky was a pretty big mistake. I like what he brings, as far as putting up points goes, but his defensive gaffes are so gastly and directly lead to goals half the time that I really don't know if it was worth it bringing him back. I'm not convinced Gelinas or Merrill couldn't do the same things Zidlicky does. I would be a lot more tolerant of young players making mistakes and turnovers in the D-Zone instead of a 37 yr old.

NC107*

Zidlicky is terrible defensively but his offense has been good he has 4 points in 5 games all assists. So Salvador has to cover for him and do his own job.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I doubt any of our prospects would bring Zidlicky's offensive game. It was smart to resign him. With the amount of grenade handlers we have we should try to have a little offense from back there. Salvador is the 'defensive' d-man and should show that better.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I'm starting to think resigning Zidlicky was a pretty big mistake. I like what he brings, as far as putting up points goes, but his defensive gaffes are so gastly and directly lead to goals half the time that I really don't know if it was worth it bringing him back. I'm not convinced Gelinas or Merrill couldn't do the same things Zidlicky does. I would be a lot more tolerant of young players making mistakes and turnovers in the D-Zone instead of a 37 yr old.

Signing Salvador the previous year was worse.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some of these things aren't coaching. You don't expect veterans to not be able to make simple reads and simple plays....

Forward support in our zone is the biggest issue IMO. The Defense is constantly relying on forwards being in certain positions and offering support and they are just not getting that right now.

Breakdowns almost never happen at the point of focus. They happen three steps before that and it becomes a trickle effect.

Constant breakdowns, in my opinion are a total team effort from the every coach to every player. It stems from a lack of focus...worrying about other things than the moment.
Maybe it's new wrinkles added to the scheme, maybe it's all the new faces but there is a lack of focus.

Think its a symptom of the new faces in a system they haven't played before. Small breakdowns grow into bigger ones as everyone plays catch up.

The issue is team defense. Not just the defensemen but all 5 guys on the ice.

Something that needs addressing but doubt any significant progress will be made until they get home and back into a normal routine.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm not convinced Gelinas couldn't put up close to the same amount of points as Zidlicky will. The fact that Zidlicky's mistakes almost ALWAYS lead to goal or at least penalties is starting to infuriate me. Last night was a perfect example.

And yea I didn't like bringing back Salvador either for that contract but it was inevitable after the playoffs he had and with as loyal as Lou is with veterans. I think they were going to pay him regardless.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Think its a symptom of the new faces in a system they haven't played before. Small breakdowns grow into bigger ones as everyone plays catch up.

The issue is team defense. Not just the defensemen but all 5 guys on the ice.

Something that needs addressing but doubt any significant progress will be made until they get home and back into a normal routine.

I have noticed that Ryder is pretty bad in the D-Zone and with backchecking which is hilarious considering the number he's wearing.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
The thing with not having a player of the caliber of Kovalchuk makes a certain impact. Teams have to respect his talent and make strategies around how to stop a player like him, and that usually leads to more opening to his teammates

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The thing with not having a player of the caliber of Kovalchuk makes a certain impact. Teams have to respect his talent and make strategies around how to stop a player like him, and that usually leads to more opening to his teammates

so true, but some don't wanna hear it. who are teams worried about when they face us? honestly the only gamebreaker we have is brunner. no one else can be individually dangerous consistently

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Yet we are 23rd in goal scoring this season and 29th last season.

24th vs. 28th according to G/GM on NHL's website.

But we've gone from 13th to 22th in GA/GM in the same span.

Clearly 17 was our defensive heart :sarcasm:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
24th vs. 28th according to G/GM on NHL's website.

But we've gone from 13th to 22th in GA/GM in the same span.

Clearly 17 was our defensive heart :sarcasm:

We are tied for 23rd with LA with 2.20 GF.

The Goals against is clearly the goaltending ....that's what I was told all off season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We didn't lose Kovy and add a player, we added FIVE players. I'd hope our goals stayed around the same bc if they didnt your argument would look even more foolish.
You really make no sense.

My entire argument has always been removing a 25 minutes a night player and adding balance scoring/depth would increase scoring...it has...And it will improve even further.

But this conversation after 5 games reaches a new level of idiocy even for HF.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Ok you aren't making any sense. So if we had Kovy and say 3 of those players our scoring doesn't go up? (MOD) We have more depth now that's why we're scoring not some magical minute distribution concept you blather about. And Kovys minutes hurt us so much on our way to the cup. LAUGHABLE argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really wish Kovalchuk would just die with that corpse that was last season. Our offense has looked better than it did last year.

In fact, the games we scored less than 3 goals (Aside from the opener) we had under 25 shots on net. We had 21 last night, and I think 23 in Vancouver. Last year we would have 35 shots and score 1 goal, or even 0 sometimes.

We made the Jets look like the 60s-70s Canadiens last year most of the time. Not too excited to play them. We always seem to take a big dump on the ice the few times we've played in that building so far.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Signing Salvador the previous year was worse.

I have no idea why we resigned Salvador. He played out of his mind in our cup run, granted, but you don't sign someone to a three year deal when he's been borderline average.

We've been crapping on DeBoer for not utilising our prospects but Lou isn't any better since he's been resigning our pending UFA's when we have guys waiting in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad