Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to Rags 4-0 (Make a Damn Save! Play some Defense!)

*Your* stars of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
We aren’t a good team, weren’t expected to be a good team, and were playing without our best player this season and guy who was our top scorer (after moving Palmieri, Zajac, and Kulikov). I’d just stop getting emotionally involved in these games, it’s a lost year. Here comes the rant about the 12 year devils no one wants to hear.

I can't get invested either. Without practice, they are going to look like minor leaguers. I didn't watch this game and I don't think I have the youth to watch the rest of these games.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I can't get invested either. Without practice, they are going to look like minor leaguers. I didn't watch this game and I don't think I have the youth to watch the rest of these games.
I appreciate you mentioning practice being important.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I really really really really hope they get it together for next game. I cannot fathom the possibility that WE would put the RAGS into the playoffs by gifting them 8 points.

I think we knew how this was going to go - but the ugliness is still exceeding my expectations. That one puck... bouncing off the boards and side of the net... just laying there next to MB29. Anyone going to get thaa..? oh nevermind, it is in the back of the net.

Forgotten how to play hockey. To some degree, Zajac, Palms and especially Kulikov were kinda the glue here. It is an amazing cliff to put Will Butcher in, and I never thought I would've said that at the start of the season.

Here is prime ugliness: I really hope we see Tennyson next game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really really really really hope they get it together for next game. I cannot fathom the possibility that WE would put the RAGS into the playoffs by gifting them 8 points.

I think we knew how this was going to go - but the ugliness is still exceeding my expectations. That one puck... bouncing off the boards and side of the net... just laying there next to MB29. Anyone going to get thaa..? oh nevermind, it is in the back of the net.

Forgotten how to play hockey. To some degree, Zajac, Palms and especially Kulikov were kinda the glue here. It is an amazing cliff to put Will Butcher in, and I never thought I would've said that at the start of the season.

Here is prime ugliness: I really hope we see Tennyson next game.

If Boston can't hold the Rangers off, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

All year folks talking about how Boston I'd a true contender, yet they are holding onto a playoff spot by the skin of their teeth?

f*** that. Let the Rags get in. One less lotto the league can gift them.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I am not buying “the Devils will be good in 2-3 years” crap..

Especially if the Devils don’t take every advantage this offseason to poach players/free agents.

Unfortunately, they will/are being passed over by teams who are more successful at rebuilding.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Probably one of the worst games and worst efforts of the last years, that's for sure. Especially the first period was horrible. Guys were just standing around while the Rangers skated circles around them. If you can't get up for your "biggest rival", then when can you? I really don't think it's a great idea to try to play without any veterans at all. Experience is important to any team, because that is where the young guys learn. Should've kept Kulikov for example. What's another 4th round pick anyway? Xavier Bernard? Nikita Popugaev? Jaromir Pytlik? I'd rather keep Kulikov to teach how real effort looks like. Even if it's just for another 20 games.

One other thing: This team is unbelievably soft. How can you not at least try to derail Shesterkin a little bit? There are numerous ways to do it, just ask any Tkachuk.

Detroit won last night, which is good. And I am sure Anaheim will pass us too. We will probably get a top 5 pick, which is at least something to look forward too. Well deserved too.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Probably one of the worst games and worst efforts of the last years, that's for sure. Especially the first period was horrible. Guys were just standing around while the Rangers skated circles around them. If you can't get up for your "biggest rival", then when can you? I really don't think it's a great idea to try to play without any veterans at all. Experience is important to any team, because that is where the young guys learn. Should've kept Kulikov for example. What's another 4th round pick anyway? Xavier Bernard? Nikita Popugaev? Jaromir Pytlik? I'd rather keep Kulikov to teach how real effort looks like. Even if it's just for another 20 games.

One other thing: This team is unbelievably soft. How can you not at least try to derail Shesterkin a little bit? There are numerous ways to do it, just ask any Tkachuk.

Detroit won last night, which is good. And I am sure Anaheim will pass us too. We will probably get a top 5 pick, which is at least something to look forward too. Well deserved too.

Could be another Wood, Bratt, Sharongovich, Maltsev...

I will always take getting something as opposed to nothing.

Reactions: TheDuke93

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Could be another Wood, Bratt, Sharongovich, Maltsev...

I will always take getting something as opposed to nothing.

I know most people think that way. Still, there's just a one in five chance a 4th rounder becomes an NHL player and that doesn't mean he becomes a useful one.
Trading away each and every experienced and gritty player is not the way to build a successful team. The lineup they are icing is a total disgrace, guys like Studenic, Boqvist or Thompson have no business playing in the NHL. I wonder how happy somebody like Jack is with the state of the "rebuild" and his teammates. Must be pretty frustrating for him to say the least.

Reactions: Spoiled Bratt

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

Well, if almost half of the roster is AHL level, they would look like minor leaguers even with tons of practice.

After Zacha/Bratt injuries and Palms/Zajac trade, our bottom six is literally a fantasy camp for AHLers.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Well, we don't have 6 guys that were playing for us the whole year, either through injuries or trade. So when 1/3 of your skaters are different, we get this kind of result. Also, I am not hanging Blackwood out to dry. However, he wasn't great and the team around him wasn't either. Ruff should not be starting him 4 games in a row. There is no reason to. Blackwood appears to be a goalie that should be started around 60-67% of the games to be effective.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
That was certainly a game of hockey. I checked out halfway through the 1st to watch Panthers/Lightning. Props to whoever stuck it out here lol.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I know most people think that way. Still, there's just a one in five chance a 4th rounder becomes an NHL player and that doesn't mean he becomes a useful one.
Trading away each and every experienced and gritty player is not the way to build a successful team. The lineup they are icing is a total disgrace, guys like Studenic, Boqvist or Thompson have no business playing in the NHL. I wonder how happy somebody like Jack is with the state of the "rebuild" and his teammates. Must be pretty frustrating for him to say the least.

The only actual argument you could make in favor of trading Kulikov for peanuts that makes sense is if you’re doing him a favor and you don’t want future FA’s to think you’ll hold them hostage so I can sympathize if that’s the case. But from a pure opportunity/cost benefit a 4th really isn’t enough to dump a guy we kind of need to help protect the kiddie corps (esp Blackwood). Twenty games of Kulikov with this roster was worth more to me than the meager chance we get a Kulikov type player with the pick in 4-5 years. Fitz pushed back against the perception of wanting to give away players but that’s what he did here.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Hughes by far best player tonight best effort....No chemistry with all of the changes....Stick to the rebuild and Hope right players are taken....Fitz gets it and I think he'll do it right....One thing for sure is we need to get bigger and more physical players up that's why Kulikov stuck out he brought that....

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
I don't expect to win much the rest of the year and if this rebuild turns successful at some point no one will give a shit about these games... that said, while I expect to lose more than we win, that effort was just not acceptable. Back to back shutouts against our biggest rival are not acceptable. Score A goal. Make A save.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect a better product on the ice, we have set the bar pretty damn low.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The only actual argument you could make in favor of trading Kulikov for peanuts that makes sense is if you’re doing him a favor and you don’t want future FA’s to think you’ll hold them hostage so I can sympathize if that’s the case. But from a pure opportunity/cost benefit a 4th really isn’t enough to dump a guy we kind of need to help protect the kiddie corps (esp Blackwood). Twenty games of Kulikov with this roster was worth more to me than the meager chance we get a Kulikov type player with the pick in 4-5 years. Fitz pushed back against the perception of wanting to give away players but that’s what he did here.

I agree 100%. There's no way this is worth a 4th, and I suspect that Fitz did it as a favor to the player, which I'm actually okay with. We got way more out of Kulikov than we bargained for.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Once again

Why is Tyce Thompson up here to play 6-7 minutes a night? What the f*** is he doing here?

We don’t even give Foote a call up, but we have Tyce Thompson up here to play 8 minutes a game (and he’s looked way out of place while doing it) and we had Boqvist up here way too long last year before we finally realized it was time he played in the AHL.

Reactions: Azathoth and JK3

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Once again

Why is Tyce Thompson up here to play 6-7 minutes a night? What the f*** is he doing here?

We don’t even give Foote a call up, but we have Tyce Thompson up here to play 8 minutes a game (and he’s looked way out of place while doing it) and we had Boqvist up here way too long last year before we finally realized it was time he played in the AHL.

I think those games were promised to Thompson, in order to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad