Post-Game Talk: Devils lose 4-3 (OT): The What happened to the PK Edition

wellonegm05*

The Devils were crap during the first half of 05-06, but were amazing during the first half of 09-10. They followed that up with complete crap over the first half of 10-11 but were good in the second half.

There isn't much rhyme or reason to it. You can't explain every statistical variation with a narrative, because these variations would occur by pure chance even if every team was a carbon copy of each other.

That 05-06 team was a clusterduck of last minute panic roster decisions by Lou post lockout.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
6 games into the season. There's a reason there's a term called "mid-season form."

You got to remember when Cory played for the Canucks they had a impressive roster. They won two presidents trophies, made it to the finals, and I think one year even had Henrik or Daniel win the Art Ross. This is not the same team.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Zubrus had an awful game last night in all zones.

Krieder reminded us that if we only could have traded up 2 spots to pick ahead of the Rags.

One pick later and we get Josefson instead.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Cory Schneider is literally the last thing we should be concerned with.

He's going to be fine, I'm sure. But he was bad in the Philly game, he's left bad rebounds in the crease in at least three, and that Zids turnover last night was partially on him.

He knows he hasn't played well - he's just a little inconsistent right now - but it's definitely the team in front of him that is the problem.

Just like it was last year for both goalies.

We're playing three kids and two pretty iffy vets. He needs to be near perfect every night.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Correct he has not been anything more then average, which is dissapointing thus far. But it's early.

On the PK goals only criticism might be rebound control?

I think the 2 big saves against NY in the 2nd period (was it?) were highly above average. the stop against the 2 on 0 shot and the breakaway.
Schneider is great so far, dont get the criticism here.:shakehead

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think the 2 big saves against NY in the 2nd period (was it?) were highly above average. the stop against the 2 on 0 shot and the breakaway.
Schneider is great so far, dont get the criticism here.:shakehead

Great is a stretch, but he is hardly the problem. He was great against Tampa, but I think if you asked him he would admit there were a couple he would want back over the past few games even if the goals themselves weren't his fault.

Its acceptable criticism, lots of players we know are very solid can be playing better right now. Elias is another one. He isn't the reason we are losing games, but he can still play better. Greene is another, Jagr was one but he had a very good game last night.

Cory is not the problem, but that doesn't mean he can't be playing better (and I have no doubt he will be better too).

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
well guys it was a good team in a tough building

True, Devils win that game more often than not, even after they blew the lead. I also imagine that, with this ownership, Ranger/Devil games are going to look emptier than they ever have. They probably made more though, so I doubt it'll change.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
You got to remember when Cory played for the Canucks they had a impressive roster. They won two presidents trophies, made it to the finals, and I think one year even had Henrik or Daniel win the Art Ross. This is not the same team.

I don't mean to be condescending but what's the point? He hasn't played to his potential early in the season, what does his former team have to do with that point?

Camille the Eel

I would like to see Cammalleri back with Jagr and Zajack.

Re Schneider, has he always played so deep in the net? I am not jumping on him, with more structured support his goals against would be at least one goal per game lower right now.

But he cuts down the angles LESS than usual these days. Even when a guy is suddenly isolated in front, he doesn't seem to jump out the shooter as much as I'm used to seeing, maybe as much as I'd like to see. His instinct seems to be to butterfly and slide into a middle of the net position deep in the crease.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I would like to see Cammalleri back with Jagr and Zajack.

Re Schneider, has he always played so deep in the net? I am not jumping on him, with more structured support his goals against would be at least one goal per game lower right now.

But he cuts down the angles LESS than usual these days. Even when a guy is suddenly isolated in front, he doesn't seem to jump out the shooter as much as I'm used to seeing, maybe as much as I'd like to see. His instinct seems to be to butterfly and slide into a middle of the net position deep in the crease.

We don't want Cory getting much outside the blue paint - his little trips get adventuresome enough as is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad