Post-Game Talk: Devils lose 4-3 (OT): The What happened to the PK Edition

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There are two bad team trends happening over the past three games.

1st is the PK is a complete mess. No one on the ice seems to be able to pick up their man or knows where to be. Someone needs to QB this.

2nd, we can't play a complete game. We played half a game against the Caps, a period against the Sharks, and about two periods tonight. We NEED 90 minute efforts that are at least close to consistent.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Overall Larsson was solid tonight. Though based on the ice time he got I'm guessing he will sit next game. It is a mistake. It is expected though. Deboer is a terrible bench manager.

Btw, Merrill was outstanding tonight.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
i havent seen the last two games because of a dicked up work schedule but it sounds like the PK unit really misses volch.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
Add another agreement to the penalty kill doing us in for consecutive games.

I cannot tolerate Derpboer and his idiotic line decisions anymore. Between taking Camm off the first line and putting Gionta with Elias, there's no way to explain it except pulling names out of a hat.

About the opposition being a fine team and all though... no excuses there. This was a team with a defense that was reeling. This was the time to beat them. It was not done.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
dude hes been on the ice for like 70% of the goals allowed this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And 12 out of 19 on the season, if my numbers are correct.

He's like some garbage 6th round cornerback that comes in because the starter got hurt and teams purposely gameplan around him, throwing his direction everytime.

There's nothing any rational fan can say to defend Salvador at this point.

He's a liability that our opponents actively look to exploit.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
Start the merry go round. Larsson benched for Gelinas. Brunner locked in the storage closet. Ruutu thrown into a pit. Call up Janssen.

4th line: Janssen-Gionta-Tootoo

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Goal number 1: Elias pinches to far off the point, allows hard point shot, Greene doesn't muscle his man and Kreider puts in the rebound.

Goal number 2: Salvador slides for some reason instead of uses his stick to break up the pass. Cross ice pass where Greene goes for the interception instead of bodying his man or trying to block the puck.

Faults for PP goals: Elias, Salvador, and Greene

wellonegm05*

Bottom line is we are destroying value with Larsson. A top 5 pick should fetch a legit first line/pairing player. Not anymore! If they are not going to play him then trade him. Unless the plan is to keep up the same old same old and then let him walk at years end. Kind of the "status quo" here, letting are valuable guys walk for nothing.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Larsson got better as the game wore on and he started to gain some confidence again. But he has no leash, no room for error. Unfortunately he had the D zone turnover after some nifty stickhandling which was pretty much the end of his hope to play another game, or at least get real minutes.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Bottom line is we are destroying value with Larsson. A top 5 pick should fetch a legit first line/pairing player. Not anymore! If they are not going to play him then trade him. Unless the plan is to keep up the same old same old and then let him walk at years end. Kind of the "status quo" here, letting are valuable guys walk for nothing.

No it won't

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I was giving Salvador more credit than he deserved because that play he made on the second PP goal is just plain dumb.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually felt a lot better when we were up 2-1. Once we scored the third goal, I totally saw the collapse coming.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why the **** was Gio out there with 1:30 to go in regulation?

Swear I saw him with Elias.

FOH PDB

Every time I want to wipe the slate clean with Pete, give him a chance and buy the stupid **** about how he's a great mind and all that, he pulls **** like he did tonight.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I actually felt a lot better when we were up 2-1. Once we scored the third goal, I totally saw the collapse coming.

I actually did not think the usual collapse was coming amazingly enough. I don't know why but I thought we were going to cruise in the third once we got the early goal, settle in for a nice 4-1 win. Of course when Cammy hit the camera above the penalty box on that 'questionable' delay of game call and they scored the quick PP goal the negativity came back and I had the feeling it was going to **** again although I figured it'd be a SO loss and not an OT one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Larsson got better as the game wore on and he started to gain some confidence again. But he has no leash, no room for error. Unfortunately he had the D zone turnover after some nifty stickhandling which was pretty much the end of his hope to play another game, or at least get real minutes.

He was sent back out there after that turnover though. He got benched when the lead was gone. My only guess why is because Pete doesn't think he is good offensively and doesn't trust him enough.

I think he will play again Friday, but I don't know if he will see a minutes increase unless he gets a bit more aggressive.

His cause is definitely helped by the fact the PP scored 3 without Gely, which I think was the one thing anchoring him to the starting line up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Every time I want to wipe the slate clean with Pete, give him a chance and buy the stupid **** about how he's a great mind and all that, he pulls **** like he did tonight.

Funny enough Gio was pretty good on that shift, but I have no idea what he was doing out there.

I'd have to watch again, but maybe he was caught in a change and stayed out there to keep the pressure on? Its the only thing I can think of because even for Pete it doesn't make sense.

He prefers Gio at center and Elias at center so he wouldn't purposefully put two centers out there.

Now putting Zubs and Clowe together during 4 on 4. THAT was boneheaded and there is just no defense for because it was obvious it was planned. That was a terrible choice.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He was sent back out there after that turnover though. He got benched when the lead was gone. My only guess why is because Pete doesn't think he is good offensively and doesn't trust him enough.

I think he will play again Friday, but I don't know if he will see a minutes increase unless he gets a bit more aggressive.

His cause is definitely helped by the fact the PP scored 3 without Gely, which I think was the one thing anchoring him to the starting line up.

Pete still trusts Gelinas more than Larsson defensively which is amazing to be honest. It's just over for Larsson here, the sooner we accept it the better off we'll be. He was not good but really neither was anyone on D aside from Merrill. Of course Larsson's the only one getting scapegoated.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I'm back on the Pete hate bandwagon. Time and time and time again he makes decisions that are just not in the best interest of the team. I don't think we can move forward with the young guys on D so long as this guy is behind the bench.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Start the merry go round. Larsson benched for Gelinas. Brunner locked in the storage closet. Ruutu thrown into a pit. Call up Janssen.

4th line: Janssen-Gionta-Tootoo

Oh god please no...I better see Gomez out on the 4th line next game to atleast give the guy a shot. He showed some promise in preseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad