GDT: Devils @ Leafs - 39 More To Go! 7:30 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I still can't believe Severson just stopping on that play. He played the pass the entire way back and stopped like 2 strides before the pass for no reason.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
E9-B45-BEE-A3-F5-4-DE7-ACF0-710-AC227220-D.jpg

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Just when you think the season couldn’t get any worse. As soon as the Leafs tied it up I knew the Devils would blow it.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Devils played like hot shit after the 3-1 goal and Campbell got pulled. Sloppy puck handling, throwing stupid high risk passes right up the middle of the ice in the d zone. Fumbling the puck constantly and blowing the zone before getting control. Consistently letting the maple leafs easily poke it off their sticks. Losing board battles. Leaving the slot uncovered. And the puck management on the PP was some of the stupidest shit I’ve ever seen a supposed NHL caliber team do. Giving up a short handed goal to lose the lead with just a few minutes Left in the game? Talk about amateur hour.

The collective hockey IQ of this team is embarrassingly abysmal. That entire short handed sequence capped by Severson looking like an ECHL caliber d-man pretty much epitomizes what this team is. Just a group of dumb dumb hockey players who can’t consistently execute against legitimate NHL talent.

It’s been the same braindead play from these guys for years now. It never seems like they learn and improve from these games. And I’m supposed to believe there’s signs of progress? If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, then we have a team of players that belong in straight jackets.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Severson's effort on the go-ahead goal was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Best thing you can do is take the pass away, and if you can't do that then take the shot away. You have to pick one. And he was in great position to do either.

But instead he backed off, took his stick OUT of the passing lane, turned his back to the cutting forward, and let the puck carrier walk in untouched and make a clean pass. He turned a 2-on-1 into a 2-on-0. A 10 year old could have covered that better.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Well, I thought Johnny Boquest and Tatar Tots had good, complete games.
Anyone know how Daimyo Dougie-san Hamilton-wazaki is faring? Any chance he's back Wednesday?

Reactions: Mgd31

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Severson's effort on the go-ahead goal was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Best thing you can do is take the pass away, and if you can't do that then take the shot away. You have to pick one. And he was in great position to do either.

But instead he backed off, took his stick OUT of the passing lane, turned his back to the cutting forward, and let the puck carrier walk in untouched and make a clean pass. He turned a 2-on-1 into a 2-on-0. A 10 year old could have covered that better.

agreed but also, i don’t understand why the defenseman on a 2 on 1 always takes the guy without the puck. the puck carrier would never anticipate the defenseman rushing him in that kind of scenario.

i don’t fault sevs for not doing that, it’s been ingrained in their heads since they were children. just curious why nobody does that in an age where michigan goals are scored on a weekly basis. i know as a goalie i always preferred that.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
agreed but also, i don’t understand why the defenseman on a 2 on 1 always takes the guy without the puck. the puck carrier would never anticipate the defenseman rushing him in that kind of scenario.

i don’t fault sevs for not doing that, it’s been ingrained in their heads since they were children. just curious why nobody does that in an age where michigan goals are scored on a weekly basis. i know as a goalie i always preferred that.

Because the goalie is already telescoped out and square to the puck carrier and has a better chance of stopping the straight on shot, rather than having to move side to side to stop the back door tap in if the pass gets through the defender.

I get your point that it would be unexpected for the puck carrier, but it would be unexpected for the goalie too. In addition to the higher back door risk, it also creates possible screening or deflection problems for the goalie when they'd rather get a clean look at the shot.

Reactions: MartyOwns

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey

this

I know he was "tired", but geez just slide, or take the stick of the other guy, not that hard, he did make it back, to do NOTHING but wave his stick

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Severson is rightfully getting dragged for that but just looked like brain freeze to me. Shit happens I guess.

Mental preparation, professionalism, whatever you want to call it - it’s been a problem for this team. Last night Subban was also bad enough that I legit think he might retire after this deal because he does not seem to give a damn anymore.

I’d really like a fresh start system wise for this group. Don’t care that the kill is fine. A better team defensively likely won’t nuke that aspect.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's wild...But it has always been this way...All the talk on Severson's play on that goal....

No mention of Nico completely missing the net on a glorious opportunity all alone in front of the net earlier in the same PP...

Semi understandable, I guess...But that would've ended the game...Nico had the game on his stick in a 4-4 game late...and blew it. Didn't even get a shot on net.

But what is not understandable is the complete lack of discussion how that 2 on 1 came to fruition...Nobody going to talk about the bad pass Jack made that created that 2 on 1? That's not the first, second or 3rd time Jack has put the point man in a really shitty situation exactly like that - He did almost the same exactly thing to Severson against LA too...Leave him handcuffed, flat-footed at the point because of super low IQ idiotic play...

But yeah we wont talk about that....Did you see how shitty Severson was?

Last edited:
Reactions: CupSeeker

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Because the goalie is already telescoped out and square to the puck carrier and has a better chance of stopping the straight on shot, rather than having to move side to side to stop the back door tap in if the pass gets through the defender.

I get your point that it would be unexpected for the puck carrier, but it would be unexpected for the goalie too. In addition to the higher back door risk, it also creates possible screening or deflection problems for the goalie when they'd rather get a clean look at the shot.

that makes sense, i hear you. i should’ve said this would have to be coordinated beforehand in practice so they goalie knows.

the way i see it, on a 2 on 1 the goalie has to anticipate both a shot and a pass. in my scenario, the goalie can commit to the pass earlier, because the startled puck carrier wouldn’t be able to get a good shot off. i guess it depends on how wide the 2 on 1 is; if the shooter has enough space my scenario probably wouldn’t work any better than the traditional. just thinking out loud i suppose.

Reactions: Saugus

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It's wild...But it has always been this way...All the talk on Severson's play on that goal....

No mention of Nico completely missing the net a glorious opportunity all alone in front of the net earlier in the same PP...

Semi understandable, I guess...

But what is not understandable is the complete lack of discussion how that 2 on 1 came to fruition...Nobody going to talk about the bad pass Jack made that created that 2 on 1? That's not the first, second or 3rd time Jack has put the point man in a really shitty situation exactly like that - He did almost the same exactly thing to Severson against LA too...Leave him handcuffed, flat-footed at the point because of super low IQ idiotic play...

Jack isn't the only one doing stupid low IQ shit either. Both power plays were littered with idiotic choices and poor puck management. Bush league stuff.

This is a team that is extremely easy to play against. If you're the opponent, all you have to do is just sit back and take advantage of the repeatedly sloppy shit you know they will do with the puck. You know the slot coverage will be sparse or non-existent. If for whatever reason the skaters are playing better than usual, just throw it on net because the goalies are weak AF. On the PK, just attack the puck carrier and you will get it back easily, with a good chance to get a shorthanded chance.

Easy W for the opposition.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jack isn't the only one doing stupid low IQ shit either. Both power plays were littered with idiotic choices and poor puck management. Bush league stuff.

This is a team that is extremely easy to play against. If you're the opponent, all you have to do is just sit back and take advantage of the repeatedly sloppy shit you know they will do with the puck. You know the slot coverage will be sparse or non-existent. If for whatever reason the skaters are playing better than usual, just throw it on net because the goalies are weak AF. On the PK, just attack the puck carrier and you will get it back easily, with a good chance to get a shorthanded chance.

Easy W for the opposition.
I am really just sick of all the narratives to desperately prove that these players aren't a big pile of steaming shit.

Reactions: Billdo and JK3

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Missed this one but dang, my goal light went off more tines than usual so I though we might have had a chance.

Sounds like they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I am really just sick of all the narratives to desperately prove that these players aren't a big pile of steaming shit.
It's funny because I get accused of drawing conclusions from nothing but the final scoreboard. But I was 90% sure the Devils were gonna lose even when it was 3-1 because of the way they were playing. I wasn't even mad that they blew it because I felt it was inevitable and they deserved to be losing long before the 14 minute mark of the 3rd period. They are little boys playing against men, both literally and figuratively, and it's been that way for years now.

But hey, we get another high draft pick so "progress"!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Your stock is going down when it comes to analysis.
Sure, the white Knight goalie apologist in shining armor. To the rescue!

Connor McDavid almost got the softy of the night last night. I might even give him the softy of the night still. I gotta watch the other one in question again.

So if a goal looks stoppable but it’s scored by an elite shooter, I can’t mark it as stoppable anymore? If Wayne Simmonds scored that goal I can call it stoppable? But not Auston Matthews? Really? Doesn’t that sound f***ing asinine to you? Doesn’t that sound like a bias? If I started giving special treatment for some goals because of who shot it? And how many players in the NHL are there that are immune from scoring a bad goal? 5? 10? 20?

I have marked hundreds of goals like that as stoppable, no matter who scores it. Even 85% of Matthews shots are saved by goalies on average.

Once again, I understand saying “Yeah, it was stoppable but it’s Matthews and he’s an elite shooter” but to not give him a stoppable goal for it because of that? I’m pretty sure I gave Matthews a softy of the night this year. Forgot what goalie it was on. It was way worse than the goal he scored on Schmid that I marked stoppable though.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Here we go. It was on Vladar. It was a BAD goal but I guess it’s not bad because it’s Matthews and 100% of his shots are goals?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

No mention of Nico completely missing the net on a glorious opportunity all alone in front of the net earlier in the same PP...

Semi understandable, I guess...But that would've ended the game...Nico had the game on his stick in a 4-4 game late...and blew it. Didn't even get a shot on net.

Plenty of people made a comment about it because Nico had multiple chances in the game that he didn't convert. I myself said he had to bury one of them, along with others.

You'll find whatever way you can to point out the flaws in Nico and Jack, warranted or not, but please don't tell me you're excusing Severson for making a defensive blunder they teach you not to make when you're 9?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Sure, the white Knight goalie apologist in shining armor. To the rescue!

Connor McDavid almost got the softy of the night last night.

So if a goal looks stoppable but it’s scored by an elite shooter, I can’t mark it as stoppable anymore? If Wayne Simmonds scored that goal I can call it stoppable? But not Auston Matthews? Really? Doesn’t that sound f***ing asinine to you? Doesn’t that sound like a bias?

I have marked hundreds of goals like that as stoppable, no matter who scores it. Even 85% shots are saved by goalies on average.

Once again, I understand saying “Yeah, it was stoppable but it’s Matthews and he’s an elite shooter” but to not give him a stoppable goal for it because of that? I’m pretty sure I have Matthews a softy of the night this year. Forgot what goalie it was on. It was way worse than the goal he scored on Schmid that I marked stoppable though.

I think 'stoppable' needs to be upgraded. All shots are stoppable. All of them. Your definition needs to morph, and as I think others have pointed out on here, it should take into account the speed and placement of the shot, as well as who is taking it, from where it was taken, and how much vision was afforded the goalie.

I mean you don't have to take into account how difficult the chance was for the goalie to actually stop it, but it sure devalues your analysis. McDavid on a breakaway isn't Travis Zajac. Crosby with a wide open look or Ovechkin at the circle are a little different than just anyone? Don't you agree?

You've always gotten something in your head about a player and your bias then impacts your recording heavily. Last night we were treated to page after page of how much Schmid stinks, and how those goals were stoppable 15! 16! 17! He stinks!!

It wouldn't have mattered if he was nearly perfect. You made your mind up.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
NHL Network guys were just laughing at Seversons gaffe last night. They said he looked like a forward who had no clue what to do. They also stressed that shit happens and he's a really good player so hopefully everyone can have a laugh during film sessions.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

Except it wasn't Hughes, it was Bratt with the bad pass?

In fact, Hughes moves the puck pretty well on this particular PP.

But when all you have is a hammer...

Edit: Eh, after reviewing the sequence, Hughes is adequate on the PP, he only had a couple of handles, one pass back to the point and a couple of puck battles. But still not to blame on the 2-on-1, unless you count being the target of Bratt's ill-timed seam pass.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Look at the immediate play on ice prior to breakaway. Hischier tried to force a pass to Severson that got tipped / intercepted before Severson could even play the puck.

That's not to excuse Severson piss poor attempt at playing D, but if Hischier didn't f*** up a basic pass before hand, the turnover would never of happen.

You're obviously right, but one was certainly a bad misplay turnover, the other looked like a peewee league moment. In 30+ years of watching hockey I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that where a Dman was afraid to pivot and skate backwards, drifted away from the shooter, lost all visual contact with his check and then just got lost in space.
Maybe he's spent because of the extra minutes? His whole game was gross last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad