GDT: Devils @ Kraken, 10 PM EST, MSGSN - IndiDano Jones, Raiders of the Lost OH MY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Having a good 4th line was part of what made us epic during our winning streak. Now that they have been shitty , so has our entire team. I think it puts too many miles (pun intended ) on our top lines when all 4 are not cruising. Injuries to Bastian and especially Marino has had more negative impact than we think .

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would rather stab myself in the nutsack with anthrax-coated glass than listen to that f***ing band.
I don't hate them as a band, but I find myself very turned off how popular they were in my high school with people, despite the fact they kind of sounded like some of the same bands those same people scolded me for listening to just a year or two earlier, but they were acceptable to listen to because they were on the radio and MTV.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't hate them as a band, but I find myself very turned off how popular they were in my high school with people, despite the fact they kind of sounded like some of the same bands those same people scolded me for listening to just a year or two earlier, but they were acceptable to listen to because they were on the radio and MTV.
What bands were those?

I liked (and still do) Nirvana, but I'm still surprised they were as big and viewed as ground-breaking as they were. As for the goal song for Seattle, it's a cool tie-in and all (and really you almost have to go with a Seattle band given all the great music that came from there), but it's really "meh" as a goal song.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Too bad.

Missed opportunity as I'm curious as to what he saw during that sequence and if it aligned with what many here have been saying.

He could've been - I only looked at the post-game interview that was posted by the Devils on YouTube.

Novo is usually pretty responsive - maybe if someone reaches out to him he'll ask Blackwood about it or know if he commented on it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Feel about the same. I liked the bands that influenced Nirvana more than the bands that they influenced.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He could've been - I only looked at the post-game interview that was posted by the Devils on YouTube.

Novo is usually pretty responsive - maybe if someone reaches out to him he'll ask Blackwood about it or know if he commented on it.
Even then, generic sports speak is going to be to take full responsibility onto yourself regardless of how much of it you bear.

Reactions: HBK27

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This tendency of his reminds me of Schneider, even though they are not similar goalies otherwise. To wit: Make utterly ridiculous saves that he has no business making, then give up a complete softy at the worst time.
I made this exact comparison this morning…Blackwood had a classic Cory game, do just enough to look great losing while giving up a killer goal.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I made this exact comparison this morning…Blackwood had a classic Cory game, do just enough to look great losing while giving up a killer goal.
Sid Fernandez. He invented that pro performance with the late 1980's Mets. He'd pitch 5 and 2/3, and lose. But his line would have only 5 hits against him, he'd fan 7, he'd walk two, and of the three runs he'd allow two would be unearned.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What bands were those?

I liked (and still do) Nirvana, but I'm still surprised they were as big and viewed as ground-breaking as they were. As for the goal song for Seattle, it's a cool tie-in and all (and really you almost have to go with a Seattle band given all the great music that came from there), but it's really "meh" as a goal song.
The members of Nirvana came from the punk scene. Dave Grohl (who wasn't the original drummer) was in DC hardcore bands back in the 80's, so I'd say he's the most famous, as well as the richest hardcore kid ever. You can even hear some of those influences in some of the Foo Fighters songs, if you really have an ear for punk and hardcore. It isn't nearly as prevalent as in Nirvana though.

Nirvana were on Sub Pop before Nevermind, which didn't really have a lot of punk bands, but they had this complilation that had bands Naked Raygun, and I can hear some Nirvana in that. Dave Grohl is a huge fan of them.

Kurt Cobain was a huge fan of Black Flag and I hear a lot of that in early Nirvana (including Nevermind), particularly My War era Black Flag.

I think there was a quote from Kurt Cobain that Black Flag was his favorite band at one time.

I hear a lot of Nirvana in stuff like that and that was the kind of music that you'd get made fun of in high school (and I'm sure people still do) for listening to, yet Nirvana (inspired by MANY of these bands) is perfectly acceptable. It's just weird.

They had a lot of fast and heavy songs and I liked that, but I didn't care for In Utero at all. But that song they released like 8 years after Cobain died that was recorded just months before he died was a pretty cool song I thought. So I'm not sure what direction they would have went in after In Utero, had he lived.

They're not the only band that blew up in Seattle that had members from the punk scene. Eddie Vedder grew up in Southern California and came from the punk scene and that's why he's tight with the Bad Religion and Social Distortion guys and those bands have opened up huge shows for Pearl Jam over the years and how he made a guest appearance on a couple of songs on one of their albums. If I'm not mistaken, he was in California until the Pearl Jam guys asked him to move to Seattle after their singer had died and then Mother Love Bone turned into Pearl Jam. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it went. I think it was the same members, only with different singers. But you don't hear a lot of that influence in Pearl Jam's songs like you do Nirvana.

So many of those bands came out of the punk scene, but not necessarily the entire band, but some members. Zack from RATM sang in a hardcore band Inside Out about a minute before Rage formed. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were basically a punk band in the very beginning.

A few of the Guns N Roses guys came from the punk scene and were in punk bands before GNR.

I do like that they use Nirvana in their goal song, but that particular song (or at least the I like it line) with the cringy ''Let's go Kraken!'' is kind of weird. We had a stupid canned ''Let's go Devils!'' chant right after they first scrapped RNR2.

I like the Teen Spirit guitar samples after they announce the scorers on the last goal though. I think that's pretty clever.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
What bands were those?

Goal songs have gotten downright silly these days. Around here we've taken it a bit too serious.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Feel about the same. I liked the bands that influenced Nirvana more than the bands that they influenced.
I forgot who it was here not too long ago, but somebody posted they were psyched that they were getting to see Sunny Day Real Estate, who recently reunited.

When I first heard them (like in 93 or 94) I thought they sounded a lot like Nirvana, only less angrier.

And I'm pretty sure one of the original members (bass player) is now in the Foo Fighters and has been a permanent member for 25 or more years.

They were another Sub Pop band and also from the Seattle area.

Goal songs have gotten downright silly these days. Around here we've taken it a bit too serious.
There's too many goal songs that I don't understand why they're goal songs. I wouldn't say the Kraken one is one of them, even though ''I like it!'' followed by a canned chant is corny, but I understand it.

However, why is You make my dreams come true by Hall and Oates a goal song?

Why is Don't you forget about me a goal song?

And while I'm at it, why oh why is shake rattle and roll an Ovechkin goal song? That's just totally not Ovechkin.

Reactions: My3Sons

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Todd Cordell said it quite well I thought:

"At the end of the day, it was a low, mid-range shot directly at a goaltender who was ready and squared up to the shooter. It can’t go in.

I stand by my tweet Thursday night that said Blackwood is the main reason the Devils picked up a point *and* the main reason they didn’t get two. No matter what mistake anybody else made, it’s the goaltender’s job to clean them up. Blackwood was more than ready and in position to do so. You expect a save there every time and the Devils didn’t get it.

Overall, it was still a strong start but perfectly sums up Blackwood as a whole. Even when he’s on, you know the backbreaking softy is always just around the corner."

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
I forgot who it was here not too long ago, but somebody posted they were psyched that they were getting to see Sunny Day Real Estate, who recently reunited.

When I first heard them (like in 93 or 94) I thought they sounded a lot like Nirvana, only less angrier.

And I'm pretty sure one of the original members (bass player) is now in the Foo Fighters and has been a permanent member for 25 or more years.

They were another Sub Pop band and also from the Seattle area.

There's too many goal songs that I don't understand why they're goal songs. I wouldn't say the Kraken one is one of them, even though ''I like it!'' followed by a canned chant is corny, but I understand it.

However, why is You make my dreams come true by Hall and Oates a goal song?

Why is Don't you forget about me a goal song?

And while I'm at it, why oh why is shake rattle and roll an Ovechkin goal song? That's just totally not Ovechkin.
Exactly the two goal songs I was thinking. Trying to be ironic and silly and I like both of those songs. Just not for that occasion.

"At the end of the day, it was a low, mid-range shot directly at a goaltender who was ready and squared up to the shooter. It can’t go in.

I stand by my tweet Thursday night that said Blackwood is the main reason the Devils picked up a point *and* the main reason they didn’t get two. No matter what mistake anybody else made, it’s the goaltender’s job to clean them up. Blackwood was more than ready and in position to do so. You expect a save there every time and the Devils didn’t get it.

Overall, it was still a strong start but perfectly sums up Blackwood as a whole. Even when he’s on, you know the backbreaking softy is always just around the corner."
When Blackwood doesn't return who will be our polarizing goaltender to debate over? :laugh:

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
The members of Nirvana came from the punk scene. Dave Grohl (who wasn't the original drummer) was in DC hardcore bands back in the 80's, so I'd say he's the most famous, as well as the richest hardcore kid ever. You can even hear some of those influences in some of the Foo Fighters songs, if you really have an ear for punk and hardcore. It isn't nearly as prevalent as in Nirvana though.

Nirvana were on Sub Pop before Nevermind, which didn't really have a lot of punk bands, but they had this complilation that had bands Naked Raygun, and I can hear some Nirvana in that. Dave Grohl is a huge fan of them.

Kurt Cobain was a huge fan of Black Flag and I hear a lot of that in early Nirvana (including Nevermind), particularly My War era Black Flag.

I think there was a quote from Kurt Cobain that Black Flag was his favorite band at one time.

I hear a lot of Nirvana in stuff like that and that was the kind of music that you'd get made fun of in high school (and I'm sure people still do) for listening to, yet Nirvana (inspired by MANY of these bands) is perfectly acceptable. It's just weird.

They had a lot of fast and heavy songs and I liked that, but I didn't care for In Utero at all. But that song they released like 8 years after Cobain died that was recorded just months before he died was a pretty cool song I thought. So I'm not sure what direction they would have went in after In Utero, had he lived.

They're not the only band that blew up in Seattle that had members from the punk scene. Eddie Vedder grew up in Southern California and came from the punk scene and that's why he's tight with the Bad Religion and Social Distortion guys and those bands have opened up huge shows for Pearl Jam over the years and how he made a guest appearance on a couple of songs on one of their albums. If I'm not mistaken, he was in California until the Pearl Jam guys asked him to move to Seattle after their singer had died and then Mother Love Bone turned into Pearl Jam. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it went. I think it was the same members, only with different singers. But you don't hear a lot of that influence in Pearl Jam's songs like you do Nirvana.

So many of those bands came out of the punk scene, but not necessarily the entire band, but some members. Zack from RATM sang in a hardcore band Inside Out about a minute before Rage formed. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were basically a punk band in the very beginning.

A few of the Guns N Roses guys came from the punk scene and were in punk bands before GNR.

I do like that they use Nirvana in their goal song, but that particular song (or at least the I like it line) with the cringy ''Let's go Kraken!'' is kind of weird. We had a stupid canned ''Let's go Devils!'' chant right after they first scrapped RNR2.

I like the Teen Spirit guitar samples after they announce the scorers on the last goal though. I think that's pretty clever.
Thoughts on Nirvana ripping off Killing Joke?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I’ll say it for the 10th time, which is basically exactly what he’s saying in my own words.

He played well enough to get us a point and he played just bad enough to ensure he really shouldn’t get more starts than we’ve been giving him over the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad