GDT: Devils @ Kraken - 10:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’d like to add veteran C and put Boqvist on the wing. You can split them if you need/want, you can use vetC if Nico/Jack are hurting again, you can give Boqvist some time as 3C if vetC is injured/Boqvist getting hot. I want to have some flexibility.
100% get that, that’s what I’d like too.

Reactions: Guadana

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Daws was fine. We had horrible defensive zone coverage on the two goals by their defenseman and he had no chance on the Beniers goal
It doesn't matter anymore, he really shouldn't have played this much.

I think enough is enough with him in NHL games this year.

If he were coming out and getting shutouts or allowing only 2 goals most of the time (like early on), you could justify playing him this much, but he's not.

I am somewhat surprised he didn't play against Colorado, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hammond in Vegas.

I'm pretty sure Blackwood will play on Thursday at home, barring a setback.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
zGvIXA.gif

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'm pretty confident they're gone.

We were on pace for 66 points last year if it were an 82 game season, we're currently on pace for 65 this year.

Are you really gonna give him a pass for Hughes missing 40 games? The record was still pretty awful in games he played, even with all those points he scored.

The only real excuse he has (and it's a BIG one and definitely legitimate) is goaltending. But he didn't really do himself many favors by playing Blackwood until he was basically dead (remember when he was playing sick and came out and said he was sick and we played him anyway and he gave up a really super softies those two games in a row?) and Daws has been overplayed, despite the fact that he hasn't been all that good in 5-6 weeks now and I'm skeptical that once Blackwood is ready to go that he won't play the remainder of games, unless he gets re-shut down again like Miles Wood lol.
i'm wondering if the goaltending decisions are also fitz's ideas though (or maybe even medical staff failure?)

i'd love fitz to fire them as his fall guys

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i'm wondering if the goaltending decisions are also fitz's ideas though (or maybe even medical staff failure?)

i'd love fitz to fire them as his fall guys
If the goaltending decisions (like I mean who’s gonna start what game) are actually coming from the GM, then I think we definitely have bigger issues than the coaching staff.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
i think the injuries provide a convenient excuse for our coaching staff. no way we fire recchi and/or nas this summer.

what i think happens is lindy gets an EXTREMELY short leash to fix their shit, and fitz makes big moves to fix defense, and possibly goaltending. if we're not hot by thanksgiving, full staff firings.

i'd prefer all the staff be fired (don't get me wrong). but for people calling for recchi to get fired, i think our dumb management will give him a pass because

1. firing assistant coaches without firing the head coach is rare
2. he will get a pass on his shit powerplay bc our ES scoring is okay (we're tied w tampa for 12th for 5v5 scoring)
The defense is fine in the top 4. Fitz has to fix goaltending it’s the single biggest issue with this team.

If he bring this pile of shit staff back, he should be fired as well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The first two goals on Daws this game were very reminiscent of a couple of the goals on Gillies in that LA game, from what I remember.

A couple right through his arm. They aren’t necessarily bad goals, but they were kind of leaky. Boqvist on Grubauer (although from I think closer range) was also similar.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I can't believe I'm the only one that realizes that he's now on his SECOND goal drought of at least 26 games in his NHL career.

And by me being the only one, I mean the broadcast hasn't really highlighted that he's on a 26 game goal drought.

The first drought wasn't really a drought, it was just him not scoring his first goal until his 39th game in the NHL.

He's now had three different 25 game goalless streaks. The last one was snapped in game 26, although on an empty net goal lol.

And he's also had FOUR different goalless streaks of at least 16 games and I don't even think he's gotten to game 155 yet in the NHL.

Can he go 38 games again without a goal? I'd say he probably won't, but if he does, we'll have to wait until next season to find out. I didn't think he'd go 25 games again without a goal and he did.
And still the Devils problems with a full roster is not offense. McLeod's missing goals don"t hurt NJ. If you can replace him with a cheap, devensively responsible center, who can pk, do it. Just stay away from hefty contracts for fourth liners. You can survive with low salary players like McLeod there.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It doesn't matter anymore, he really shouldn't have played this much.

I think enough is enough with him in NHL games this year.

If he were coming out and getting shutouts or allowing only 2 goals most of the time (like early on), you could justify playing him this much, but he's not.

I am somewhat surprised he didn't play against Colorado, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hammond in Vegas.

I'm pretty sure Blackwood will play on Thursday at home, barring a setback.
Hard disagree.

I don't recall it being mentioned much if at all around here, but he was the #1 ranked North American goalie when he was drafted. Throw him into the fire in a lost season and see what his gumption is.

He's 21, not 18. And he hasn't disappointed me.

Edit: Blackwood is gone. Either via injury issues, trade, or free agency. No sense talking about him unless we make the playoffs next year with him still on the roster. He unfortunately strikes me as our Mike Smith. Or even worse, Bryzgalov.

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

The first two goals on Daws this game were very reminiscent of a couple of the goals on Gillies in that LA game, from what I remember.

A couple right through his arm. They aren’t necessarily bad goals, but they were kind of leaky. Boqvist on Grubauer (although from I think closer range) was also similar.
Dawes was way too deep in the net and just watching the play on goal number one. He also wasn’t square to the shot nor was he in the middle of his net. His positioning if awful sometimes He needed to come out and challenge that shot. But then again he did that better a couple of times later in the game. So we are seeing improvement.

He also did do a better job of finding pucks through screens and fighting through traffic.

I only saw the first 2 periods. We were backing in on D very badly all that time and not standing up in center ice. Two poor teams turning the puck over constantly and exchanging crazy rushes in the 2d. When then we we couldn’t complete plays cleanly. Everything was just a bounce or a stride off all the time.

The most ragged game I’ve seen all year as to our passing. By them too. Was the ice bad? Also quite a physical game. We got chipped and bumped a lot. Lots of blown assignments and guys left free coming in late on D. But then again, Colton White? And we were missing Graves so the D was improvised.

Our power play lost us the game. Hamilton is so soft running things, but it’s not just him. We were better all the same a few weeks ago when Severson was up top.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sorry I posted mine, didn’t know you had this one reserved but nothing was up for a while.

The Lighthouse GDT was great as well as the gifs throughout the game. No matter what that crazy old man on here says, the Lighthouse is a good movie.
That guy is an idiot. Everyone should see the Lighthouse at least three four or maybe thirty times to make up their own mind. In my mind that movie transcends movies. It is cinema incarnate or perhaps a small glimpse of heaven. I highly recommend multiple repeat viewings. Someone take that guy’s keyboard away when he goes to have his depends changed.

Reactions: Guttersniped

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If the goaltending decisions (like I mean who’s gonna start what game) are actually coming from the GM, then I think we definitely have bigger issues than the coaching staff.
Whether Daws is in the NHL or the AHL is certainly a Fitz decision, so he has a big hand in the decision even if he's not making the game to game call.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That guy is an idiot. Everyone should see the Lighthouse at least three four or maybe thirty times to make up their own mind. In my mind that movie transcends movies. It is cinema incarnate or perhaps a small glimpse of heaven. I highly recommend multiple repeat viewings. Someone take that guy’s keyboard away when he goes to have his depends changed.
Saw it only once, liked it, but definitely didn't catch the underlying narratives. Kind of figured it would be a movie I watched again.

Reactions: My3Sons

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
:laugh:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

4A6CF015-8F55-4BA7-9851-27E330612514.gif

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hard disagree.

I don't recall it being mentioned much if at all around here, but he was the #1 ranked North American goalie when he was drafted. Throw him into the fire in a lost season and see what his gumption is.

He's 21, not 18. And he hasn't disappointed me.

Edit: Blackwood is gone. Either via injury issues, trade, or free agency. No sense talking about him unless we make the playoffs next year with him still on the roster. He unfortunately strikes me as our Mike Smith. Or even worse, Bryzgalov.
I think he's been very disappointing, for the last 5-6 weeks now. Not Gillies level disappointing and not even Schmid level disappointing (he was in over his head every single game at the NHL level), but he's clearly not NHL ready right now.

What does Blackwood have to do with Mike Smith or Bryzgalov? I don't quite get the comparison. Do you mean he'll be let go at a young age (like Smith with the Starts or even Lightning and Bryz with the Ducks) and have success elsewhere?

Blackwood has been on the entire trip and has practiced every practice/morning skate on the trip, so barring a setback (I don't think that would surprise anybody in the slightest), it looks like he's a guarantee to play before the year ends.

And when he finally does play, it wouldn't shock me to see him thrown out there every game like Ruff was doing before he got shut down. Unless he's once again shelved, which once again, I don't think that would surprise anybody in the slightest. Especially with the recent strange 3 games of hi and bye with Miles Wood and other such questionable moves regarding injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad