GDT: Devils @ Jets - Tuesday 8pm: Very Return, Such Overdue Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Agreed.

Severson got plenty of (quality) shots on net and none were at the expense of his defense, which was also good.

Also on the defensive end I thought Zidlicky did a particularly nice job last night. Great game coming from an offensive defenseman.

PK was in shutdown mode.

And Bryce Salvador is our best player.

You may actually be the real David Conte

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Here's the issue that I have seen for 3 seasons now; PDB is playing a system with Kovy and Parise and he doesn't have them. He has not adapted to the roster that he has had in any season and he keeps trying to use the same system but it will never work without those elite players. His stubbornness is his downfall and it is obvious at this point, much sooner in reality, that he is not the guy for this team. There just isn't any reason for us to believe that this team will get any better because there has been no indication that we are. It's the same thing as the last 3 seasons, good enough to be close, bad enough to miss the playoffs by a few, and good enough to get a mediocre draft pick. Either stink up the joint and get a high pick or make the playoffs.

I think much of the system has changed. Were we not an aggressive forechecking team then? Sure we were also successful board battlers, but that was only part of the equation, certainly Kovy was not that type of guy. Now it seems that is the whole of the equation.

Where the frick is the forecheck?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Agreed.

Severson got plenty of (quality) shots on net and none were at the expense of his defense, which was also good.

Also on the defensive end I thought Zidlicky did a particularly nice job last night. Great game coming from an offensive defenseman.

PK was in shutdown mode.

Zidlicky did have a strong game aside from the unforced turnover before the 3rd goal allowed.

PK is night & day better since Sal has been in street clothes.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Here's the issue that I have seen for 3 seasons now; PDB is playing a system with Kovy and Parise and he doesn't have them. He has not adapted to the roster that he has had in any season and he keeps trying to use the same system but it will never work without those elite players. His stubbornness is his downfall and it is obvious at this point, much sooner in reality, that he is not the guy for this team. There just isn't any reason for us to believe that this team will get any better because there has been no indication that we are. It's the same thing as the last 3 seasons, good enough to be close, bad enough to miss the playoffs by a few, and good enough to get a mediocre draft pick. Either stink up the joint and get a high pick or make the playoffs.

I don't think DeBoers system needs elite players, but I do think that this team is too slow to play this system effectively. A lot of their forechecking problems stem from the fact that they aren't on the defense quick enough.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think DeBoers system needs elite players, but I do think that this team is too slow to play this system effectively. A lot of their forechecking problems stem from the fact that they aren't on the defense quick enough.

So stick JJ on the bench. Or when he plays play him the least amount of minutes.

I think Ruutu is another guy who we could question his relatively limited minutes thus far.

Though finally the light on Zubrus has been seen, and the injury to Clowe speeds the team up a fair amount.

wellonegm05*

Well DeBoer's system, whatever it may be, has never led a team without elite players to the playoffs.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
As much as I've liked PDB, I have to say his lack of adaptability in his systems to work with the players given to him is becoming an issue I feel. The low-event, forecheck based rush game the Devils played into the SCF (and got crushed at their own game by the Kings) was a great system. PDB had had to modify his systems to work with what he has, but we're still playing low-event, more like dump and chase hockey. Doesn't make sense, it's clearly not working great... Adaptability is the problem at this point, more so then the coaching itself or the players even though both are to blame.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
team doesnt have enough speed to forecheck effectively

That's the one thing I noticed live more than anything. They do a decent job getting the puck up the ice and chip it in but can't get enough pressure before the opposition makes a couple quick plays to get it back up the ice. It's frustrating because I think our D is capable of being a top unit but they need support from the forwards. In the past, it wasn't an issue but that has changed with the current personnel up front.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
team doesnt have enough speed to forecheck effectively

I know it's one guy, I know his production has been pretty abysmal thus far in his career. But JJ is one of our best skaters, prob our best forechecking fwd.

Ruutu skates pretty well, and also pressures well on the forecheck(skating + hitting will do that).

To an extent at least, our lack of speed is partly coach's decision.

Now granted Jagr, by no means fit's the forecheck bill. Nor does Ryder, nor Havlat, nor does a good skating guy like Brunner(would be nice if he could figure it out). so we've sacrificed speed in order to bring in offense, and in at least one case, sacrificed speed for toughness(clowe), so plenty is on Lou as well. But maybe the low event nature of the board battling half of the system makes the team so desperate for offense that we have made mistakes in terms of guys not fitting the system?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And when looking at Kovy and Zach, not only were they excellent offensive player, but they were excellent skaters as well. And Zach was just such a great fit for Deboer.

Kovy's style not so much, but I guess his speed and huge frame enabled him to fit well. Certainly was great on the PK, which seemed totally against his nature.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Zidlicky did have a strong game aside from the unforced turnover before the 3rd goal allowed.

It's actually quite frightening how Sal gets hurt, a kid comes up to play his first NHL game, and the penalty kill gets fixed immediately.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
As much as I've liked PDB, I have to say his lack of adaptability in his systems to work with the players given to him is becoming an issue I feel. The low-event, forecheck based rush game the Devils played into the SCF (and got crushed at their own game by the Kings) was a great system. PDB had had to modify his systems to work with what he has, but we're still playing low-event, more like dump and chase hockey. Doesn't make sense, it's clearly not working great... Adaptability is the problem at this point, more so then the coaching itself or the players even though both are to blame.

This is pretty much how I feel as well because we have the players on the roster to ice a good, much more competitive team than what has been shown for an extended period of time now

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

This. A million times this.

I've heard enough of "Pete has a great system". He has a great system with certain types of players, players that he doesn't have any more. So he has to adapt, and he has shown a frightening lack of ability to do so in order to get better results.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
And Bryce Salvador is our best player.

You may actually be the real David Conte

Of course if you're looking at it from a standpoint comparative to other defensemen on the ice it wasn't the greatest. Zids having less defensive skill than most is nothing new to anyone. By Zidlicky standards, however, he made defensive plays that 80% of the time he would miss. He did so multiple times and on odd-man rushes. In other words, he actually played defense. The giveaway leading to the third goal muddled that performance. But said performance happened nonetheless.

No need to worry, the defensive prospects I have chosen for this team are making their way up now.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
This. A million times this.

I've heard enough of "Pete has a great system". He has a great system with certain types of players, players that he doesn't have any more. So he has to adapt, and he has shown a frightening lack of ability to do so in order to get better results.

His definition of adaptation is switching the lines around, some (most?) times in a confounding manner. It is generally to no one's benefit. Opponents who find ways to exploit the system are able to pick it apart at will because they know the structure of it will not change.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Jets fan here.

Sorry that you guys fell victim to the hockey gods finally reversing the goalpost/crossbar jinx the Jets have been running (Scheifele has hit six to eight himself this season). Could have could have been a much more exciting game, even though it was two evenly-matched, non-lottery teams that came out flat.

Not quite even for breaking that shootout curse, but it doesn't go unappreciated.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
His definition of adaptation is switching the lines around, some (most?) times in a confounding manner. It is generally to no one's benefit. Opponents who find ways to exploit the system are able to pick it apart at will because they know the structure of it will not change.

That's almost the ONLY choice a junior coach has. Running different lines is the only option cause it's so much harder to change a team during a season - not like it's *that* easy to do at the NHL level, but there are more options and a bigger player pool.

His lack of finesse at the highest levels is starting to show, and I'm sure Lou is either coaching the coach up, or coaching him out by making him lie in his own bed of choices. Time will tell on that one...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Zids had a good defensive game but strong isn't the right word. Reason being be was nonexistent offensively. He wasn't getting the puck towards the net and wasn't helping others do it. Since that is pretty much his job that is a bad night.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I know it's one guy, I know his production has been pretty abysmal thus far in his career. But JJ is one of our best skaters, prob our best forechecking fwd.

Ruutu skates pretty well, and also pressures well on the forecheck(skating + hitting will do that).

To an extent at least, our lack of speed is partly coach's decision.

Now granted Jagr, by no means fit's the forecheck bill. Nor does Ryder, nor Havlat, nor does a good skating guy like Brunner(would be nice if he could figure it out). so we've sacrificed speed in order to bring in offense, and in at least one case, sacrificed speed for toughness(clowe), so plenty is on Lou as well. But maybe the low event nature of the board battling half of the system makes the team so desperate for offense that we have made mistakes in terms of guys not fitting the system?

good post - I think you nailed it.

It is interesting that Bernier probably plays a game that is a pale shade of Ruutu, who I think may be our most effective forward (along with Cammy) in PDB's system... and he was the replacement for JJ.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
****, I saw the recap of the game (couldnt watch it full this time) and...this just sucks...

can anyone tell me the pros/cons (if there are any pros) of this win? anything positive?

what was the reason we suffer again?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
****, I saw the recap of the game (couldnt watch it full this time) and...this just sucks...

can anyone tell me the pros/cons (if there are any pros) of this win? anything positive?

what was the reason we suffer again?

Pros : Penalty Kill
Cons : Everything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad