Podcast (Audio) Devils Insiders

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
They explained why they did it. They want to justify the time spent now and put more time in down the road. Fully understandable from a practical point of view, but expanding their content beyond the pods doesn’t really interest me personally that much and $7/month is a bit steep. Sadly they are the basically the only devils podcast worth anything so I’ll support them. They have to deliver now though. No more 30min I don’t care anymore cause the team sucks podcasts, breaks for several weeks, etc..

Reactions: My3Sons

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Probably the best Devils-specific podcast out there and the guys should certainly be fairly compensated for the amount of time they put into it, but yeah...I'm not dropping money on it. Hopefully it works out for them.
There are so few people 'covering' the Devils. In general, the fan base complains about media not covering them. Yes it's a fan podcast, but compared to the others out there - it's the best one. If you want content to consume, Atheltic, NJcom, etc - we should be getting down with throwing financial support to those entities.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I am curious how many people sign up. Not that I know anything about the economics of it, but even if 300 people do it. That’s a little over 10k/year for each of them (after expenses or whatever) is that really enough money/incentive for them to create tons of extra content?

Maybe it is , maybe not. But if they basically only just pop out the same schedule of podcasts they’ve been doing, I’d think it’s going to be hard to justify the cost for listeners. The occasional substack article isn’t moving the needle id assume.

It’s thought provoking for sure. Interested to see how it works out. If it doesn’t yield the results they want do they eventually go back to doing it for free again ?

Edit: also makes it all the more annoying the most frequent devils content (let’s go devils), which is free, is essentially filler garbage.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I mean if it was truly a "daily" podcast I'd consider shelling out some money (not $6 a month) but they upload so infrequently now the value just isn't there.

They used to do pregames, postgames, etc. Could be information overload for some folks, but I enjoyed listening to their takes on big games, both before and after.

To be honest, and this is me purely speculating, it sounds like these guys don't really have their hearts in it anymore. And I can't blame them, I wouldn't do something as time intensive as this for free either. As a consumer though, I can get all the hockey news I need from other, free podcasts that are more professionally done than this one.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Yes, this.

It's interesting at times, but I'm not coming away with any new knowledge. It's like listening to HFBoards on my commute.
To be fair to Dave and Jeff, they are probably a little more
I mean if it was truly a "daily" podcast I'd consider shelling out some money (not $6 a month) but they upload so infrequently now the value just isn't there.

They used to do pregames, postgames, etc. Could be information overload for some folks, but I enjoyed listening to their takes on big games, both before and after.

To be honest, and this is me purely speculating, it sounds like these guys don't really have their hearts in it anymore. And I can't blame them, I wouldn't do something as time intensive as this for free either. As a consumer though, I can get all the hockey news I need from other, free podcasts that are more professionally done than this one.
Not devils podcasts…not even close. The other devils podcasts are absolutely 100% garbage. The last change is decent but they’re even more infrequent than DI. And they spend a ton of time on their food preferences and other random irrelevant crap. Not a single devils centric content creator comes close to DI quality and focus on the actual games/franchise-building.

Otherwise I agree, they have to increase the quantity of pods significantly if that price point is going to be worth it. I’m paying them now out of respect for what they’ve already done and what I hope they’ll do.

Reactions: NJ07102

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I dont mind supporting in paying for pods, but would rather do it on a pay per pod basis. Not an annual fee or monthly fee upfront.

These guys have crazy busy schedules and often take a week off during the season without producing content. Last season they totally mailed it in because the team was shit and they didn't want to talk about a shit team. Which is totally fine by me when its free but i'll be annoyed if I was paying for them.

I think charging $1 per pod is a better pricing model. Do 2 pods per week and they would make $8 a month from me. If they do only 1 per week then I only want to pay them $4 per month.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4