Podcast (Audio) Devils Insiders

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Partial summary...they like Hughes for his skating and offensive potential, don't like his defense. Dave in particular doesn't care much for Clarke at all.

How Dave has yet to be hired by an NHL organization is a mystery.

Reactions: Blackjack

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Love Jeff on the show, especially when he goes on a tangent, but the Rangers' envy is getting a bit much.

K'Andre Miller was not a dominant player in college - on a team that won seven games and finished last in the Big Numerically Challenged conference.

Was it a coincidence that the Badgers were much better this past season? Just sayin'.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No, kind of found out about the show in a roundabout way.

Jeff O'Connor does the play-by-play for Princeton University (and is better than most NHL announcers).

Often disagree with a lot of their opinions but the show is always entertaining.

Does he broadcast the kids in freshman physics spontaneously combusting when they take their final exam?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Does he broadcast the kids in freshman physics spontaneously combusting when they take their final exam?

No idea what that means.

Anyone else listened to the post-draft show yet?

Tough to take the negativity and arrogance at times - particularly with regard to Chase Stillman.

Both seem to believe they know more about player evaluation than Tom Fitzgerald and the player personnel staff who have watched these guys and follow them far more closely.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No idea what that means.

Tough to take the negativity and arrogance at times - particularly with regard to Chase Stillman.

Both seem to believe they know more about player evaluation than Tom Fitzgerald and the player personnel staff who have watched these guys and follow them far more closely.

Princeton is about as tough a school as there is. Einstein taught there. Freshman physics there must be brutal. Every kid in that class was a valedictorian or salutatorian. Somebody has to get a C.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
No idea what that means.

I'm fine with it. They have opinions. Not like Fitz and the personnel staff are infallible. One of the main reasons to listen is their opinions. They are fans with a fan's frustrations sometimes

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
I'm fine with it. They have opinions. Not like Fitz and the personnel staff are infallible. One of the main reasons to listen is their opinions. They are fans with a fan's frustrations sometimes

Fair point. Always wonder about that. Is the show a fan podcast or are they looking to inform? Line seems fuzzy at times.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Broole

Jul 26, 2018

That's the problem. They have opinions, that they present as stone cold facts as if they know things that NHL GMs do not. If you listen to them, not only do they claim to know more than the GM, but they claim to know what the GM is thinking and what his philosophy is. Imagine that, two guys who have full-time jobs elsewhere, claim to know more than NHL teams who have dozens of people who do nothing but watch and scout players.

Most of their opinions are based off of rankings based off of the NHL's version of Mel Kiper internet reporters coupled with watching a handful of YouTube videos of the players. Every draft list or prospect ranking you see on the internet or best available list you see on the televised draft show are themselves opinions based on less information than every single NHL team has. Every NHL team has paid, full time scouts who watch the games, talk to the coaches, talk to the players and the players teammates. Each NHL team has scouts dedicated to specific locations and regions. The internet guys like Corey Pronman rank every player as if they the same information for every player in the world. Basically, there is no way that an internet draft expert has access to the same breadth and depth of knowledge that an NHL team does with numerous scouts and millions of dollars of travel and research budgets that fund analytics. People also forget that Corey Pronman and the draft experts in the media are selling entertainment, not expert opinions. Pronman's audience isn't NHL teams, it's people on the internet who want to be fed information. Pronman's information doesn't have to be right or wrong, it just has to be entertaining to read. Pronman is never going to be fired for bad draft predictions, unlike a real NHL GM. Pronman already has draft evaluations for 32 teams, that every single person knows are likely to be wrong in many cases, not because he's interested in being right, but because fan's of teams want to be entertained with ideas that their GM is smart or dumb. Do you think there will be an column by Pronman in 5 years about all his wrong draft projections? Of course not, in 5 years Pronman will do a column about all the wrong choices GMs made, ignoring all his own wrong evaluations.

It's one thing to have an opinion on which players should be drafted when, but to claim you are more of an expert than an NHL team based on what an entertainment writer thinks combined with watching a handful of internet videos well that's just arrogance.

That's why I can't listen to many of their podcasts for more than 5 minutes, because they wrap their personal opinions into a know it all arrogance.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
That's the problem. They have opinions, that they present as stone cold facts as if they know things that NHL GMs do not. If you listen to them, not only do they claim to know more than the GM, but they claim to know what the GM is thinking and what his philosophy is. Imagine that, two guys who have full-time jobs elsewhere, claim to know more than NHL teams who have dozens of people who do nothing but watch and scout players.

Most of their opinions are based off of rankings based off of the NHL's version of Mel Kiper internet reporters coupled with watching a handful of YouTube videos of the players. Every draft list or prospect ranking you see on the internet or best available list you see on the televised draft show are themselves opinions based on less information than every single NHL team has. Every NHL team has paid, full time scouts who watch the games, talk to the coaches, talk to the players and the players teammates. Each NHL team has scouts dedicated to specific locations and regions. The internet guys like Corey Pronman rank every player as if they the same information for every player in the world. Basically, there is no way that an internet draft expert has access to the same breadth and depth of knowledge that an NHL team does with numerous scouts and millions of dollars of travel and research budgets that fund analytics. People also forget that Corey Pronman and the draft experts in the media are selling entertainment, not expert opinions. Pronman's audience isn't NHL teams, it's people on the internet who want to be fed information. Pronman's information doesn't have to be right or wrong, it just has to be entertaining to read. Pronman is never going to be fired for bad draft predictions, unlike a real NHL GM. Pronman already has draft evaluations for 32 teams, that every single person knows are likely to be wrong in many cases, not because he's interested in being right, but because fan's of teams want to be entertained with ideas that their GM is smart or dumb. Do you think there will be an column by Pronman in 5 years about all his wrong draft projections? Of course not, in 5 years Pronman will do a column about all the wrong choices GMs made, ignoring all his own wrong evaluations.

It's one thing to have an opinion on which players should be drafted when, but to claim you are more of an expert than an NHL team based on what an entertainment writer thinks combined with watching a handful of internet videos well that's just arrogance.

That's why I can't listen to many of their podcasts for more than 5 minutes, because they wrap their personal opinions into a know it all arrogance.

You really just described 98% of the people on the planet who have opinions. Just about everyone treats their opinions as though they were facts. Just look at the internet.

I have never heard them claim to be more of an expert than anyone in front offices.

Obviously the way they deliver their message strikes you the wrong way but doesn't bother me. To each their own. Lis, they just sound like fans to me. No different then if people on here had a podcast

Last edited:

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013

As a Mets & NYJets fan I feel morally obligated to let you know that while I agree with the fact that these organizations may have professional scouts, big analytic departments and all the resources afforded to them as you mentioned etc..., they do not always make the right choices.
examples such as teams passing on Barzal (boston 3 times), Adam Gase, don't even get me started on the Mets. GM's are and will continue to be dumb. Otherwise fans wouldn't be donating thousands to put up billboards to get them fired.

Jeff & Dave cite Bob Mckenzie's list more frequently than any other, which is actually just a poll of actual team scouts. Not some internet writer giving his opinion. And to boot Jeff & Dave like literally watch hockey as their jobs. Jeff is does broadcast for college, Dave does production/engineering. I believe his father was a player also - not exactly clear on that. As far as "claiming" to know Fitz's philosophy. Well seems like he pretty much telegraphed it in his recent interviews, so I'm fairly comfortable with the guys using the words straight out of the horse's mouth.

Seems to me their opinions are generally reasonable and realistic. I'd rather they critique some decisions instead of just drinking koolaid.
Just my humble opinion.
As fans of this team we should rejoice we have a content and a podcast like this. Personally, I'm eternally grateful these guys choose to do this with their free time and don't ask anything in return.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Over a month since the last show.

Have the boys called it a day or are they just waiting until camp?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad