Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

JSnQXCy.jpg

DEVILS (21-8-2) at HURRICANES (19-6-6)

Head-to-Head:

It's a fight for sole possession of first place in the Metropolitan Division as both the Devils and Hurricanes are tied with 44 points.

Tuesday's game is the first of four meetings between the Devils and Hurricanes this season. The Devils will host the New Years Day matchup and 10 days later the Devils travel to North Carolina again to start a five-game road trip. The final matchup is Mar. 12 at Prudential Center.

Last season, the Devils lost three of their four games against the Hurricanes. New Jersey started last season's matchups with a 7-4 win on Jan. 22 but fell 2-1 a week later. In the final week of the 2021-22 season, the Devils dropped two games to the Hurricanes, a 3-2 overtime loss on Apr. 23 and a 6-3 loss on Apr. 28.

Devils Team Scope:

The Devils are on a five-game losing skid, only picking up one point over those games. Over their last ten contests, New Jersey has gone 4-4-2, a departure from a red-hot start that included 13 straight wins. Over the last few practices, the Devils have focused on some minor details that have led to goals against and losses as many of these games have been one-goal differences (excluding empty net goals).

After missing the last six weeks with an MCL sprain, Mackenzie Blackwood is back with the Devils and available to play. Most recently, Blackwood completed a conditioning stint with the Utica Comets playing two games. After shaking off the rust of a month and a half off, Blackwood stopped 31 of the 33 shots he faced for a .939 save percentage.

Blackwood and Vitek Vanecek are the two Devils goaltenders on the road trip as Akira Schmid was reassigned to the Comets on Monday. Vanecek is 12-3-2 through his 18 starts and 20 games played. The netminder has a .912 save percentage and is averaging 2.37 goals against. Jack Hughes leads the Devils with 16 goals and 36 points, while Hughes and Jesper Bratt are tied for a team high 20 assists. Dougie Hamilton's five assists over the last five games lead the Devils during that stretch. Hamilton currently has seven goals and 17 assists for 24 points.

Hurricanes Team Scope:
The Hurricanes have won seven of their eight games in December, only dropping one in overtime against the Ducks on Dec. 6. This month, the Hurricanes have outscored their opponents 28-18. Carolina is finding success in the final month of 2022 after going 6-4-4 in November.

Rookie goaltender Pyotr Kochetkov's impressive play over 14 games has been a key for the Hurricanes. Kochetkov is 9-1-4 with a .923 save percentage and 2.01 goals against average. The rookie has started four of the last five games for the Hurricanes.

Andrei Svechnikov leads the Hurricanes with 17 goals while Brent Burns' 18 assists are a team high. Martin Necas's 30 points lead Carolina. Defenseman Brady Skjei's five points in as many games leads the Hurricanes over those games. Skjei has six goals and eight assists through 31 games. Tuesday's game is the final of a four-game homestand for Carolina.

By the Numbers:
Jack Hughes has scored the Devils opening goal five times this season which leads the team. Hughes is also 12th in the NHL for shots on goal with 125 through 31 games played. The forward is also sixth in franchise history for power play goals by a player under 22 with 14 career power play goals.

The Hurricanes are one of the best teams in the NHL with limiting goals against at home, only allowing their opponents to score at total of 34 goals through 12 games at PNC Arena.

Injury Updates

Devils

Bernier (Hip - LTIR)
Palat (Groin - IR)
Bastian (Upper body - Indefinite)

Hurricanes
Aho (Lower-body - day-to-day)
Andersen (Lower-body - IR)
Kase (Concussion - IR)

hCd1SW8.png

mISbukx.png

uS3T344.gif

4j5PAmG.png

03rajOJ.png

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Statistically speaking this is an incredibly evenly matched game. Teams are coming in from completely different places though with the Canes on a heater & the Devils on a big down slide.

As such I expect a complete reversal of fortune as the Devils are overdue for a change in puck luck and the Canes are due for a bad game.
You’re doing it wrong. We should be penciling this in as a loss. I hear most people won’t even be tuning in.

Reactions: Devs3cups

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Almost feels like a much win. This team needs to prove themselves again. Between now and January 1st I think we'll have a better idea of what this team is. An elite team or a wild card contender.
I agree I think we will have a true picture of what this team is by the end of the month. If they can go .500 against these teams that’s enough for me to believe they division winner contenders.

I think we also need to be prepared for the possibility that they are just a wild card contender. It would be a tough pill to swallow after the excitement of believing that were a true first place team. But once you get over that, you have to recognize that it’s still major progress from where we were prior to this season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
49811.jpg

Sorry folks. Rawly house of horrors + MBW looking likely = the losing streak hits a half a dozen. 4-1 RAWLY.

This team is much more well-structured, well-coached and their nets are better manned than the NJD. They also knew better than to let Brendan Smith come back. Hoping for a better showing tonight, but Rawly has won about 15 in a row. It will be the tallest task of the year for the NJD. Almost as tough as trying to end the losing heater with Pete/Hynes/Torts coming into the building. Just absolutely a wretched time to be an NJD fan. Same old, same old. Thanks again Fitz.

And before I get accused of being bad luck, I was wrongfully threadbanned by @Bleedred for the FLA game and the NJD's fortune did not change. Still the same sad sack.

May as well start the holiday drinking early to help cope with these devastating losses. And stay hungover enough to sleep through tomorrow night with an already guaranteed L at FLA.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I like Zetterlund and am happy for Tatar bouncing back after last season but they aren't top line wings at this stage of their careers and with the added responsibility of matchups against better teams it's no surprise they are struggling and that has a ripple effect on the team. Without Aho Carolina isn't much different than NJ though and it might come down to goaltending which favors Carolina tonight it seems. Fingers crossed NJ can score a few against a hot rookie goalie. I am curious if Aho stays with Carolina after his contract is up.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
View attachment 624358
Sorry folks. Rawly house of horrors + MBW looking likely = the losing streak hits a half a dozen. 4-1 RAWLY.

This team is much more well-structured, well-coached and their nets are better manned than the NJD. They also knew better than to let Brendan Smith come back. Hoping for a better showing tonight, but Rawly has won about 15 in a row. It will be the tallest task of the year for the NJD. Almost as tough as trying to end the losing heater with Pete/Hynes/Torts coming into the building. Just absolutely a wretched time to be an NJD fan. Same old, same old. Thanks again Fitz.

And before I get accused of being bad luck, I was wrongfully threadbanned by @Bleedred for the FLA game and the NJD's fortune did not change. Still the same sad sack.

May as well start the holiday drinking early to help cope with these devastating losses. And stay hungover enough to sleep through tomorrow night with an already guaranteed L at FLA.
@DorisDay
Don't let you fool by that bleedred character. Blackwood is a special talent. He is the saviour of the Devils.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd probably use Boquist over Haula on a PP unit. Not that it would be a huge difference.
I don't know about that.

As bad as Haula has been (at least at scoring goals, he hasn't been bad at anything else), I don't think I want Boqvist near there.

Boqvist barely has more points than Haula has goals.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese