Prospect Info: Devils HFBoards 2022 Draft Resource, Indexed Profiles A Thru Z

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Julian Lutz, EHC Munchen DEL (STI Ranking #43, McKenzie #49)
The runaway best German prospect for the 2022 draft is Julian Lutz, a 6'2-185 forward with excellent skating, a nice skill set, and a high-compete level which sees him crashing creases on the regular. He's also possessing of multiple elements which could see him as the type of sleeper every team is searching intensely for after the first round, as Lutz combines size, speed and scoring acumen and may be underrated to this point because of superficial reasons. The German DEL is actually a very strong league which does not get nearly enough credit, and we've seen several German players drafted from there in recent years who turned out to be tremendously good picks: Seider, Peterka, Reichel. Though Lutz may lack some of the high end upside of his aforementioned countrymen, there is certainly the potential of a second line scoring forward with a power element to his game.

There are still many raw elements to Lutz's game. He needs work on the defensive side of the puck, but it's not for lack of effort. This kid's motor is difficult not to love, but sometimes he can get so desperate to recapture the puck that he loses positioning or assignment. Good coaching can certainly fix his problems in the defensive zone. He is always supporting his teammates and working, so I feel the ability to be a good defender is there.

Offensively, he's been a bit overmatched in his small sample of DEL games, but he's shown a great deal of talent in tournament play for Team Germany. His feet are always moving and he's a beast on the forecheck. He's willing to nose-down into the greasy areas and battle, and with his strength and frame there is certainly the potential of an interior forward at the NHL level. Lutz is a nifty puck handler with good edges and can be a load to get the puck from down low. He needs some work on the accuracy of his shooting, I feel he is prone to rushing shots without cluing in on the goaltender's positioning or potential shot-blockers first. His passing is good for the most part, though I feel he's more north/south than a true creator out there.

Ultimately, I feel Lutz's true potential is not necessarily a line driver, but a strong complimentary piece. He possesses the requisite skill to play with good line-mates, and his willingness to rush the net and throw his body around creates room for the rest of his team in the offensive zone. I really like his potential, but you're probably going to have to wait a few years to see him really find his stride. To me, Julian Lutz is a very good pick as soon as the early second round -- where the combination of a solid floor as a very fast and frenetic bottom-6 forechecker and a ceiling of a middle six scorer makes him a very good pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Michael Mastrodomenico, Lincoln USHL (STI Ranking #44, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
The top question I've been asked about the 2022 draft revolves around sleeper RD, and as such we need to be talking about this young Quebecois rearguard. We can define Mastrodomenico as a defense-first defenseman, but he's actually an intriguing prospect on multiple levels who is far from the plodding stereotype of stay-at-home guys.

Mastrodomenico is 6'2-195 and skates extremely well. This combination alone will see him drafted, as big and mobile right defensemen are extremely coveted come draft day. He is extremely physical and loves to play the body and hit. He's a punishing guy to play against, and smaller and softer USHL forwards tend to get off their game, avoiding the interior entirely when Mastrodomenico is on the ice. I'd say Mastrodomenico is very good defensively, though he's still a bit raw in terms of general positioning and gaps. However, he shows strong defensive awareness on the whole and will have at least a few years to hone his game at a very good program for Notre Dame in the NCAA.

Offensively, Mastrodomenico is never going to be a huge point-producer, but he is certainly adept with the puck, and actually quite good in transition. Though he possesses swift skates, his hands are a bit heavy. He's an efficient and smart passer, though by no means a playmaker or creator. I'd like to see improvement in his shot, as his mechanics need a bit of work. However, Mastrodomenico loves to shoot and will fire from anywhere in the O-zone. Again, his major offensive strength is in transition, as his long reach and great skating allow him to be a force leading the rush up ice.

Michael Mastrodomenico is certainly further below the radar than his abilities warrant. I'd certainly look at him in the 4th round, where he should be available since no one of any notoriety has really ranked him anywhere. His potential is as a very effective bottom-4 pairing with a more offensive-minded defender, and considering how late he is likely to be available he represents a great potential draft-day value.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Denton Mateychuk, Moose Jaw WHL (STI Ranking #26, McKenzie #24)
For those who love slick offensive defensemen with outstanding puck skills who play at high speeds, this young and exciting player from Manitoba should open your eyes. He's one of the younger players in the 2022 class with a July birthday, and he's one of the top-scoring D in the entire CHL with a 13-51-64 stat line in 65 games.

Mateychuk's calling cards are speed and passing vision, which combined with his high-end puckhandling skills make him a constant threat in the offensive zone. When combined with an aggressive, high-danger mentality it's easy to see why, despite being a defenseman, he's the most lethal offensive weapon on the entire Warriors team. This kid can skate the lights out and his edges make him ridiculously elusive. Juxtaposing that with a very high offensive awareness and some terrific puck skills, the opposition must always be hyper-aware of where Denton is in the offensive zone. His passing ability is just as impressive as his speed and smarts -- he's one of those eyes-behind-his-head players who is threading absurd passes which make you wonder how he even knew the guy he passed to was there. Denton Mateychuk is, in no small terms, fun to watch.

Mateychuk is not perfect offensively, as his shot is not exactly what you'd call a weapon at this point. However, it must be said that he knows this, and is intelligent enough to adapt. He often likes to fake a shot to create room and freeze up defenders, then use his elite acceleration and puckhandling to knife deeper into the zone where he can really create damage with his high-end passing and puckhandling.

Unlike most offensively aggressive, undersized (5'11-180) rearguards, Mateychuk is actually pretty good defensively. His compete level does not slack in his own zone as it does with many offense-first blueliners -- I really like this kid's motor. He's not afraid or shy, and he is engaged in the game with or without the puck. However, it would be a lie to say that Mateychuk is as good on the defensive side of the puck as offensively. Though he plays with courage, Mateychuk can be physically dominated by stronger forwards in the crease and down low, and he's far from an automatic win in puck battles. Although he always plays smart, Mateychuk's defensive awareness is not at the elite level of his offensive awareness. However, in should be re-stated that, once he gets the puck, Mateychuk is a beast in transition, as opposition must get on their horse for the back-check to defend against his ability to make pinpoint stretch passes.

Ultimately, Denton Mateychuk is a likely pick in the #12-#20 range for a team which sees him as a constant source for offense from the blueline and believes (as I do) that he'll be a more than capable player on the defensive side of the puck. His speed, vision and puck skills are all elite or high end and his potential is as a high-scoring blue liner at the NHL level who will run a PP with flash and acuity.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Tnias Mathurin, North Bay OHL (STI Ranking #86, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Mathurin plays a simple game, and also a brutal one. He's a 6'3-200 stay-at-home defender who plays an NHL style of defense-first and hits like a tank. Soft opposition forwards don't even go into board battles with him, they just tuck their tails between their legs and stay a few feet away, waving their sticks so it looks like they're doing something. He rarely loses a puck battle, and good luck staying on your feet if you're in his crease. NHL teams love this type of player, and as such Mathurin can expect his name called at some point in the 2022 draft.

I'd say the singular caveat with Mathurin is that he's an average skater at best. Were he to improve his foot-speed, he'd have a shot to go in the 2nd round. Because, quite frankly not only is he one of the better defenders in the OHL, but he's also got pretty good puck skills for this type of player. He's deceptively nifty with the puck on his stick and he's a strong outlet passer. There were even times I've seen him make some nice rushes out of the zone with possession, not something you usually expect with this type of player. He's never going to put up big numbers, but he seems to relish being the defensive support guy for a more offensive pairing-partner, like he has been often with Ty Nelson for the Battalion.

I'd call Mathurin's positioning and defensive awareness very advanced for his age. His compete and intelligence I would both label as plus tools. In the modern age of analytic analysis, many people look down on this sort of player, but the fact is that every competing team is falling all over themselves trying to trade for them on deadline day. He's just a very good, shut-down, punishing big defender who won't hurt you with poor puck skills. If he can improve his skating a bit, he can really make an impact in the NHL. He's been largely ignored by the scouting community, with a high ranking of #94 (Recruites). I'm agreeing with his high ranking, as I feel he is certainly worth a pick in the 3rd round area. If Mathurin falls to the 4th -- and I'd say this is his likely draft area -- he is a terrific pick for you there.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Miko Matikka, Jokerit U20 Finland Jr. (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie #90)
Matikka is a player who is intriguing in his parts but a bit frustrating in how those parts come together. Despite some injury problems this year, he has put up an impressive 19-14-33 line in 30 games. He's immediately noticeable as a 6'3-185 winger with good skating ability and a bomb of a shot. His overall skill set is quite good when taken apart piece by piece, but I've yet to see a game where Matikka stood out as one of the best players on the ice. Often he is the most naturally gifted player on the ice but is a non-factor due to consistently being outworked. You wonder if this is a result of the injuries which have plagued him a bit, or if there is reason to be concerned with the compete level.

Matikka is strongest on the cycle down low and when he has the puck. Quite obviously, he is very big and strong and mobile, and combines that with a good set of hands -- there are just not many defenders at his level capable of getting the puck away from him once he has it. When he has the puck, Matikka shines -- he's a good passer and just a terrific shooter. Give him space and he'll blast one past the goalie. Try to keep a tight gap, and he'll run you over and drive to the net. There are times when Matikka is really on his game and looks like a high 2nd round pick, maybe even a guy for the late first.

When he doesn't have the puck, Matikka can be more of a problem for his own team than the opposition. He's routinely the last guy back on the back check, and once he gets back to defend he can be "just a body", floating around and not really covering anyone or anticipating anything. Even in the offensive zone, Matikka's effort level will fluctuate from shift to shift. One shift he'll seem unstoppable with the puck always on his stick, and the next it's almost like he's taking a break after a couple hard shifts -- floating around up high and waiting for his linemates to dig the puck out and set him up for a ripper.

Matikka is a good player who leaves you wanting more. He's like the DC Movie of Finnish hockey prospects, like: "sure, it had its good moments but why are the Marvel movies so much better?" I think someone drafts him in the 3rd round, maybe even the 2nd, seeing a huge body who can skate and blast the puck. Miko Matikka has a lot of qualities a lot of NHL front offices put at the top of their scouting checklists. But, though this is a player who can mature and make a lot of people look bad for passing on him, I'd prefer to wait until the later rounds before looking at him. He's a second round talent who gives a 7th round consistency of effort, so when I'm drafting him I'm probably going to start paying attention in the middle of those two places.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C Bryce McConnell-Barker, Soo OHL (STI Ranking #59, McKenzie #58)
One could say McConnell-Barker is a very rudimentary sort of player, but he is the type of player who is extremely coveted by NHL franchises. A two-way pivot with good size (6'1-190), very good skating and s strong fundamental foundation from which to grow on, BMB is extremely projectable as a middle-6 NHLer who can play up the middle in all situations. Though his likely scenario is as a 3rd liner, some scouts see second line upside due to the raw tools and relative youth (June '04), and he's received some pretty high rankings -- his consensus is probably in the mid-2nd round.

BMB has quick hands and above-average skating. When combined with a terrific compete level, this is a player who can seem like he's all over the ice at once. I think this shines the most on the defensive side of the puck, where BMB is active, engaged and effective in constantly frustrating opponents. For most opposing centers, he's bigger than you, stronger than you and works harder than you. BMB is a bit of a puck-hawk, very good at out-battling opponents and using stick checks and lifts to pick off pucks from opposing players who get over-confident with the puck.

BMB is a shoot-first player out of both choice and necessity. This is to say a couple things: foremost, he has a terrific shot. An economical and quick release ushers in a hard, heavy and accurate blast. Though not an elite sniper, this kid will certainly score some goals. But his propensity to shoot might also be the result of his major limitation offensively, which is he's not really a "vision" guy. Though BMB can certainly find and hit an open man, he's more of a functional passer than anything else. He's strictly north-south in he offensive zone and though he thinks the immediate play well, he does not think ahead of the play at all. This is not a slight on the player, he just is what he is, and he's good at what he is.

As such, I see Bryce McConnell-Barker as a high-floor, bottom 6 center. I have little doubt he will carve out a role in an NHL bottom 6 and be extremely effective in that role. However, several draft analysts and scouts see his relative youth and lost development season (2020-21 OHL pandemic cancellation) as an indication that "maybe there is something else there", hoping that with all his size and athleticism, the offense will come. Though I feel BMB will contribute offensively due to strong fundamental instincts, I'm not sure he'll ever be big scorer. He amassed a respectable 23-26-49 line in 69 OHL contests, but I don't foresee a big jump in the future. I absolutely draft a player like this in the 3rd/4th rounds, but I'm not certain it's in the first two rounds.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C Rutger McGroarty, US-NTDP (STI Ranking #15, McKenzie #27)
Here we have the classic "everything but skating speed" prospect. Where you see McGroarty ranked often has as much to do with how much the evaluator values skating speed as with McGroarty's potential. Because quite simply, McGroarty is potentially the penultimate two-way, physical and high-scoring 2C which every team in the NHL covets. He is as good of a combination of power and finesse as almost any player in the 2022 class, and he offers tremendous offensive skills to add to his high compete level and intelligence on the ice.

McGroarty is not *slow*. He just has awkward skating mechanics which limit him both in terms of tight-area maneuverability and open ice speed. He makes up for this to some degree with excellent anticipation and positioning -- he's usually in the right place and one step ahead of where the next "right place" to be will be. But these previous sentences are pretty much the sum of any flaws in McGroarty's game. Everything else about him is outstanding.

The young Nebraska native is a borderline elite shooter. The puck explodes off his stick and he can pick corners with power from multiple angles with an excellent release. McGroarty led an incredibly talented US-NTDP with 35 goals, despite getting deployed defensively quite often. Though I'd say he's a shoot-first center, McGroarty is also a very good passer, and when his angles to the net are closed he's very adept at adjusting on the fly and finding the open man. His puck skills all grade out as good, and despite his kinks in agility he is quite impressive in boxing out defenders and near-impossible to knock off the puck. This is certainly a player with offensive upside.

McGroarty's defensive game and awareness are both good, but not as superb as on the offensive side. The hustle is always there, however -- this kid plays with extreme heart and guts. Again, he's probably the most physical forward on the US-NTDP outside of Cutter Gauthier and he likes to look for the bone crushing hit. The 6'0-205 pivot is extremely strong and loves to fling around smaller centers who try (and usually fail) to cover him. McGroarty wins board battles and pucks down low, he crashes the crease and hunts deflections and rebounds. He's a very interior forward, especially for a center.

McGroarty's draft position is tough to pin down, but someone is going to love the idea of a big, physical 2C who can flat out score and likely take him in the #12-#20 range. I'd say his speed limits his ability to achieve 1C stardom, but we have to hammer home the idea that he's a pretty ideal projection for a 2C and also offers a very high floor as a physical and skilled 3C at the NHL level.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Mikey Milne, Winnipeg WHL (STI Ranking #52, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
I have been asked several times about the top over-agers for the 2022 draft, and Milne cannot be left out of the conversation. A September 2002 birthdate, Milne was passed over for the 2021 draft despite PPG numbers, probably because of a lack of high-end speed, size or scoring tools. But we're also talking about a kid with one of the highest motors in the 2022 draft, a tremendous forechecker and top-notch defensive forward with a high-IQ and a propensity for puck-hawking. We can pick apart his tools until we're blue in the face, but it won't change the fact that Mikey Milne is an exceptional hockey player.

From the outset of the 2021-22 campaign, Milne has essentially been attached to the LW of the second line for the high-octane Winnipeg Ice. The reasoning for this is simple -- Winnipeg's 2C is Conor Geekie, who is not the best defensive pivot around and Milne is the best defensive forward on the team. Just having Milne out there frees Geekie up to take more chances offensively. What is also impressive, is that despite being extremely defensively responsible and positionally conservative, Milne has still produced outstanding numbers: 35 goals, 37 assists, 72 points in 64 games.

Milne is an above average skater, but he's not fast. He plays faster because his instincts are so terrific -- it's easier to win those puck races once you've had a head start of anticipating the play. He's one of the best forecheckers in the WHL, if not the best. He uses deception and relentless energy to drive opposing defenders batty as they try to clear the zone and begin transition. Milne is an effective A/B passer, which is to say he's not very creative, but he finds the open man and gets the puck to him. Without the puck, Milne will crash the crease and plays with the physicality and courage of a 6'3 power forward even though he's average sized at 5'11-185.

I give Milne a very high likelihood of making an NHL bottom 6, and as such it would be criminal if he went undrafted again in 2022. The sum here is so much greater than the parts, that any singular analysis just doesn't do him justice. He makes every player he plays with better, always hustling and supporting in his own zone, while digging out pucks and crashing creases in the offensive zone. Mikey Milne is a hockey player. He's a great pick from the 4th round on, and if he slips any later he's an absolute steal.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Fraser Minten, Kamloops WHL (STI Ranking #102, McKenzie #47)
Minten is a disciplined, cerebral and positionally strong defensive forward with a bit of offensive pop. He's got good size at 6'1-185 and, although his skating is not great, it has shown huge improvement from his rookie WHL season and shows the promise to improve even more as he grows into his frame. Though he lacks any standout offensive skill, he also lacks any discernible weakness and we have to keep in mind this is a very advanced defensive forward.

Minten's foremost skill is in the way he thinks the game. The Vancouver native has very strong hockey sense and a mature presence whenever he steps onto the ice. He is not creative with his passing or zone entries and exits, but he is extremely efficient and rarely makes mistakes, which is rare for a forward of his age. I'd say his shot and puck skills are both good without being eye-opening but, again, this is more of a meat-and-potatoes guy than a flashy player. He just brings his lunchpail every shift and gets the job done.

Defensively is where Minten truly shines. He's a blanket over his point man, and he's ready and willing to support his teammates down low. He anticipates passing lanes nicely and features an active stick and always-moving feet. His head is on a swivel and his awareness is very good. He uses his strength and moxy to win one-on-one puck battles with regularity. Though defensive-minded wingers are probably the least glamorous of all hockey prospects, Minten is extremely good at what he does and it's important we take note of him as a legitimate NHL prospect.

Minten is generally ranked in the range of the late 2nd round to the early 4th round. I'm not sure I'm taking a forward with 3rd line upside as early as the 2nd round, but if he falls into the 4th he's certainly a terrific pick for any team there. I feel his floor is extremely high and if he can raise his skating another notch he might be the kind of player who can progress into a Selke candidate type winger for an NHL franchise.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Filip Mesar, HK Poprad Slovakia (STI Ranking #19, McKenzie #30)
It's looking like a banner year for Czech and Slovakian prospects, as the two programs look to bounce back into the world elite after many years on a seeming downtrend. Slovakia is especially in for a banner year, perhaps featuring more top-end talent than even Sweden or Finland for the 2022 draft. In addition to the certain top 10 selections of LW Juraj Slafkovsky and RD Simon Nemec, there is another dynamic, surefire first round pick in a talented draft class with RW Filip Mesar.

Mesar is not a top 10 likely as his country-mates, but he's a dynamic offensive talent who should hear his name called in the 15-25 range. Though a bit undersized at 5'10-170, he's a dynamic and borderline elite skater, which is the primary trait NHL scouts seem to covet in undersized, offensive forwards. Mesar is incredibly agile and features excellent edgework to compliment his high-end straightaway speed. Though his skating is not in the absolutely elite top end of the class along with a Lambert or Cooley, Mesar is certainly in the second tier as a borderline-elite skater with the ability to improve the tool enough to one day find himself in the top percentile of NHL skaters.

Mesar compliments his skating with a high-end offensive skill set. Though none of his skills are quite elite, they are all high-end. He is a true dual-threat scorer, featuring outstanding vision and passing acumen and an insidiously deceptive shot which, despite plus velocity, can beat goaltenders from anywhere inside the circles. Simply put, Mesar can score if given any space at all down low, and if not given space he can both create and exploit passing lanes to set up his teammates to score. All of Mesar's offensive tools are played up by his finest strength, which is his elite awareness in the offensive zone and high hockey IQ. Mesar is a smart kid who, even playing as one of the youngest forwards in the Slovakian Men's league, constantly out-thinks the opposition. Quite frankly, the kid is just a tremendous offensive force.

Like with many young, offensive-minded forwards Mesar needs work with his defensive positioning and awareness -- but his compete level is quite good and consistent and none of this is alarming in any way. His transition game could also use some work, but his skill set certainly lends itself to the belief that he has very good potential in this respect. Though smallish and much younger than the players he competes against, Mesar is not afraid to play in the interior areas, though he will never be confused with a power forward in any respect. He's interesting in that he plays like a "line driver" in the offensive zone, but not in the other two zones. But he certainly makes a terrific complimentary forward if playing alongside a true line-driving center.

Mesar is a very likable and exciting forward with the potential to be a high-scoring top 6 NHL forward if he approaches his talent ceiling. He plays fast, he thinks fast, he knows how to create offense, he's improvisational and he's fun to watch. If he falls into the second half of the first round, he will have an argument as the highest-upside scorer available in that range. Ultimately, Filip Mesar is an exciting and talented forward with great scoring upside and will make some team very happy on the first day of the 2022 NHL Draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Ivan Miroshnichenko, Omskie VHL (STI Ranking: *see intro*, McKenzie #19)
Miro entered his draft-eligible season as the top Russian prospect for the 2022 draft, ranked as high as #2 overall, but the New Russian Factor and a tragic bout with Hodgkin's Disease now set his draft position as the great mystery of the 2022 draft. While Miro's athleticism and overall talent is certainly tops among Russian 2022 draft-eligibles, and also quite possibly the best in the entire draft class, his lost draft-eligible campaign and poignantly serious health concerns make his draft prognosis as volatile as one could even conceive.

Regardless, a formidable tool-kit has Miro's tool kit still among the top of his class. Miro is a terrific mix of size (6'1-185) and skating -- while not an elite skater, he is certainly a very good one. Miro's shot is incredibly hard -- just a rocket blast which he unleashes with a lightning-quick release. The problem here is the accuracy -- Miro is a talented kid, but he has trouble picking corners and often is seen shooting into the goaltender's chest, even when he has time to choose his spot or change his angle.

Many of Miro's tools are like this -- "he's really talented at XXX, but..." This could be due to the effects of Hodgkin's disease weakening him physically, long before it was actually diagnosed. His puck handling follows suit -- he can impress with some highlight reel dangles, but he can often cough up the puck seemingly out of thin air. There are so many ifs and buts... BUT could they all simply be a result of health?

Miro has the potential to be a playmaker of great vision. He is almost magical with the no-look backhand pass -- he's mastered it to such a degree that it's like he has eyes in the back of his head. His smarts have really shined when playing against same-age competition -- he has really been notably outstanding in tournament play. But watching him against older players in the VHL, he can be forced into mental errors and inhibited his production to a fairly mediocre degree.

Defensively, Miro needs work. However, it must be stated that, while with a young defenseman or center I would seriously dock them in the rankings for this, with a potentially high-end offensive winger, I'm usually willing to overlook this to some degree. If an NHL winger is producing on the scoreboard at a high rate, they are contributing more on the scoreboard than their questionable defense might be taking away. However, without criticizing too heavily, Miro's defensive anticipation is nowhere close to his offensive anticipation -- he can look lost without the puck, almost distracted.

So, here's the big IF. IF Ivan Miroshnichenko can develop so that his play without the puck is even close to his play with the puck, he can be a dual threat, superstar top line forward at the NHL level. But there is certainly risk, as the young Siberian also has to contend with reaching a full recovery, which clearly sets back his timetable. The athleticism and skill is certainly rare -- he's got it all. Cannon-blast shot, great vision, size and strength, plus skating. But as high as his ceiling is, there is notable risk in drafting him inside the top 20. The big BUT is -- but this is also a kid who could conceivably wind up as the best player from the entire 2022 draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw OHL (STI Ranking #16, McKenzie #12)
With RDs Simon Nemec and David Jiricek locked in a battle for the #1 defenseman in the 2022 draft, the door has been left wide open among several contenders for the #1 LD slot. With professional-level size and skating and enjoying a dominant offensive performance in the OHL, Pavel Mintyukov seems poised to grab a stranglehold on that position. He's exploded for a stat line of 17-45-62 in 67 OHL games and has been the best player on the Saginaw Spirit all season.

Mintyukov possesses the two superficial qualities which immediately draw scouts and draft-writers to blueliners: he's 6'2-190 and he can really fly. While his skating is not at the elite level of your Cale Makars and Quinn Hugheses, he is certainly explosive on his feet and has the type of four-way mobility which make him tough to beat outside in the defensive zone and a player the opposition constantly needs to monitor in the offensive zone. Offensively is where Mintyukov shines the most -- he is even more dangerous when you combine his skating with his puck-handling, which also grades out as excellent. If a defender is caught on his heels, Mintyukov is one of those players who can freeze you with a litany of quick dekes and just explode around you into the open.

All of Mintyukov's offensive abilities are accentuated by his confidence and calm with the puck. This is a player who always wants the puck on his stick and does not panic, even under pressure. This can be both good or bad in divergent situations. It's good when he is able to collect the puck in any zone, use his natural gifts to create room, and then draw a defender towards him while scanning the ice and processing the passing and shooting lanes. It leads to a litany of scoring opportunities for his team. But it can also be bad when he is so calm with the puck that it seems lackadaisical, and in trying to float highlight reel passes through several bodies, Mintyukov can turn the puck over to the opposition. This even happens in transition to a degree which is not necessarily alarming but it's something he'll have to work on -- Mintyukov's confidence will often have him believing he can exit the zone by dangling around two or three opponents, and his mouth will be bigger than his stomach, so to speak. There's pretty much not a game you'll watch where Mintyukov won't turn the biscuit over in a dangerous area at least once.

This is not for lack of hockey IQ or compete level, it's just stylistic to a degree. Mintyukov is extremely intelligent and he plays hard. Defensively, he's actually pretty good. He's terrific at picking off pucks and anticipating opposing passes, and once he gets the puck he's great at finding some space to calm his defense and transition possession. I'd like to see him use his body more along the boards and in the crease. Mintyukov is a strong kid, but I wouldn't call him a physical one. He envisions himself more of a offensive defender than a defensive one, clearly, which might explain his decision to play in the CHL rather than his home nation of Russia, where his perpetual offensive gambling does not fly as well with the style of play and the coaching philosophies.

In my observations, I'd grade Mintyukov's potential upside as extremely high. His size and skating combined with his natural intelligence give him great ability to fix his problems in the defensive zone and become pretty good back there. But it would be a mistake to grade his defensive game highly right now, which adds some risk to the player. However, you're mostly drafting him for his offense. If he puts it all together, I'd say you have the potential for a 50+ point NHL defender.

Mintyukov's draft projections are all over the place. I've seen him ranked in the top 15, and I've seen him ranked outside the 1st round altogether. He's a tough guy to pinpoint in terms of the consensus. I'd say he certainly goes in the first round, but it's a mystery where exactly in the round he will go. But he's certainly a guy to watch, as -- if he puts it all together -- he can challenge for the highest scoring defender from the 2022 class.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C Logan Morrison, Hamilton OHL (STI Ranking #33, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Everyone who follows my draft write-ups knows it is quite rare when I review over-agers. I need to really love a prospect to take the time to fastidiously re-evaluate a player I've probably evaluated previously. Well, you might not be familiar with him, but Logan Morrison is such a prospect. I'm going to take some time to explain the reasons why this criminally unranked player deserves strong consideration for the 2022 NHL Draft, and as early as the 2nd round.

Logan Morrison went undrafted in 2021 after not playing a single game all season due to the OHL shutting down during the pandemic. At the time, he was listed as a 5'11-170 center and probably known more for his play without the puck than with it. I was similarly guilty of overlooking Morrison -- I had not seen him play in over a year, and as he was not a strong consideration for any Canadian tournament teams, he sort of just dropped out of your sphere of attention.

This year, Morrison showed up at 6'0-180. It was clear from the outset of the season that he had a chip on his shoulder about going undrafted, as his skating speed -- which was already a plus -- seemed to improve in explosiveness and he was clearly in the best physical condition of his life. Morrison's added strength has led to a more physical style of play and a far greater acuity in one-on-one battles. Quite simply, instead of sitting home playing video games, this was clearly a kid who took a lost year of development and worked his ass off to become a better hockey player.

The same work ethic Morrison has shown off the ice has translated onto the ice. He is one of the hardest working players in the OHL, and he's a player you notice every time he's on the ice. The compete level isn't his finest intangible, because we need to discuss his hockey IQ. I'm going to make a hot take right here and say Morrison has one of the best hockey IQs in the entire draft -- it's a top 10 pick sort of elite strength. You see this in everything Morrison does. He is perhaps the best takeaway artist of any OHL forward, routinely picking pockets of unaware stickhandlers, baiting passes into lanes he's about to flood, using deception to force opponents to put the puck precisely where he wants it. This carries over to his offensive awareness -- Morrison is an outstanding passer with terrific vision. We're talking about a player with bona fide top-6 two-way center upside, a kid who can excel on an NHL PK and PP unit and contribute in all facets of the game.

Ultimately, I really don't care if no one else wants to rank Logan Morrison for the 2022 draft. He's a steal in the 3rd round. Heck, he's a great pick in the 2nd. He came back after a year of inactivity and the crushing let-down of going undrafted and responded with an 100-point season. He's been arguably the best player in the entire OHL playoffs. He plays two-ways and he plays hard. He has elite hockey IQ and puck-hawking abilities, combined with near-elite passing skills. He can skate and he can score. He can play all situations, all special teams, and either center or RW. What more can be asked of the kid? He needs to be drafted, he's just an outstanding hockey player and he's the kind of young man you win with.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW/C Frank Nazar, US-NTDP (STI Ranking: #7, McKenzie #15)
Writing a preview for Frank Nazar is like writing a preview for a great science fiction movie. You don't use words associated with sports so much as words like "exciting", "scintillating", "awe-inspiring", "thrilling". But make no mistake, Frank Nazar is every bit a hockey player, and an unbelievably good one. His combination of compete level and intelligence challenges for the best in the entire 2022 class, and the skill is both real and projectable. He's virtually a tour de force. He's gone from a common pre-season misconception of a late first-round pick to a likely place in the top 10 of the 2022 draft, and possibly even the top 5.

Frank Nazar can play RW or C, and his constant motor and preternatural puck-hawking ability gives him high acumen as a two-way player in either role. This versatility is complimented by a team ethic which borders on the absurd -- in the All-American prospects game he passed up several shooting opportunities (in a house full of NHL scouts) to constantly set-up teammates for scoring chances with high-end feeds. This is a team first guy with the malleability to excel in multiple roles and the fortitude to make the most out of any opportunity. Once he hits the ice, it's as if someone set off firecrackers in his socks. Nazar is all over the puck both defensively and offensively, and once he gets it his high-intelligence and battle shine through immediately -- he knows what he's going to do to create scoring opportunities for his team, and he'll go either by you or through you in order to accomplish this.

To wit, Frank Nazar is one of the best amateur players I have ever seen at making high-skill plays with opposing defenders draped all over him. This is not a 6'4-210 forward though, Nazar is 5'10-175 at most. It does not matter, he plays huge. I've seen him hold off far bigger defenders who are literally grabbing him with his litany of dekes and puck-skills and then thread a cross-ice backhand pass for a "how did he know that guy was even there?" type assist. Nazar knows how tough it is to get the puck away from him, and as such he's always driving to the middle and the dirty areas where goals are scored. Once he gets there, Nazar combines elite passing and high-end shooting to create goals for his team at a high pace. Defenders cannot keep up with him mentally, they cannot keep up with him physically, and they can't guess what he's going to do next. Nazar's awareness and creativity shine on every shift -- he has a litany of stick handling moves and -- even rarer, still -- the ability to to fire a shot from several angles with multiple wind-ups and release points. Nazar can actually -- and I cannot stress how rare this is -- react to a goalie's commitment while in his shooting motion and make a lightning-quick mental and physical adjustment to find the hole and nail it. This kid was born to create offense.

Frank Nazar's tools all grade well. You can ignore his size, because he is not a perimeter player like many sub-6-foot amateur skill wingers. He's also quite strong. Nazar's skating is outstanding, his edges and agility really jump out at you in their excellence. He can improve his acceleration a bit, which combined with his fast-thinking and hands would make him a potential NHL superstar. This is Nazar's upside, make no mistake about it.

The more I watch Frank Nazar the more I like him. It's tough to find flaws. He's defensively imperfect because sometimes he is overly aggressive in his desire to transition to offense, but when he commits to defensive play, like if his team is nursing a slim lead late, he shows great acuity in this facet of the game. This is just a kid that always wants to do more for his team and sometimes can be overzealous in jumping the zone or chasing a puck. You're drafting him for literally everything -- high-end playmaking, 30+ goal scoring potential, off-the-charts intelligence, a sky-high compete level, frantic forechecking and two-way play, the transition game, you name it. Literally everything.

In my mind, Frank Nazar is is a top 10 pick for the 2022 draft. No matter what the team or the need, anywhere after #5 overall (and perhaps even in the top 5), Nazar must be considered an outstanding pick. He's going to be a foundational piece for any team which takes him, he can play any forward position in any situation or any role, and he can play it extremely well. I give him two thumbs up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Ty Nelson, North Bay OHL (STI Ranking #80, McKenzie #50)
Ty Nelson's high-end offensive game had him on several top 20 lists entering the 2021-22 campaign despite being listed in the 5'8-170 range. A recent growth spurt has him in the neighborhood of 5'10-180 which, combined with his impressive scoring totals of 51 points in 66 games, has him ranked as high as the #14-#25 range by several draft writers and scouting services. Nelson's rankings cannot be separated from a commonly held philosophy that puck-moving defenders with high offensive acumen are a benefit to your team regardless of your level and quality of defensive play. Because, defensively, Nelson has a ton of things to work on.

First, let's analyze the good. Nelson is a good, not great, skater. He has a choppy stride which can be ironed out and up his level of speed. Unlike most small defenders, Nelson is not shy about physical contact. He's a player who often looks for the big hit against unsuspecting opponents. I would not say courage or compete level are the problem with this player. His shot is outstanding -- again, I'd say he's strong for his size and is a constant threat to blast the puck from the blueline, especially on the PP. His vision might be his finest trait of all -- Nelson is always looking for the stretch pass, and often hits it in highlight-reel fashion. On the PP, he is a constant danger to bait the opposition in one direction and then laser a pass to a teammate in a scoring area. This kid can really generate offense, there's no denying it. He loves to activate in the offensive zone, and when it works out for him, he's downright lethal. But the problem is, sometimes it doesn't work out for him, and he's not always level-headed in his decision making, leading to an inordinate number of high-danger chances against. Ty Nelson is just "go go go", and even when an ill-advised attempt to pinch in and stickhandle between two opposing defenders leads to a breakaway goal against, the very next shift he's back at the high-risk-taking again.

Defensively? I don't want to get into Nelson's overall defensive game, because it's extremely problematic and every area is an area he needs a great deal of work on. It seems like he hates playing actual defense, so he's just skating around looking for a big hit or hoping a puck squirts out so he can attempt another highlight-reel stretch pass. This proclivity leaves him constantly out of position. His positioning would have to grade out as very poor. His ability to read plays in the defensive zone is the polar converse of how good he can be offensively. He often just looks lost back there. In puck battles, Nelson loses more than he wins, while his desire to always make big plays makes him a constant risk to turn the puck back over.

Someone is likely going to draft Ty Nelson in the first round. Teams with too much weight and influence in their non-traditional scouting departments have seem to forgotten that you're more likely to win with a blueline of six Brett Pesces than with six Shayne Gostisbeheres. Can Ty Nelson put up points in the NHL? Absolutely, if he can improve his defense to just-below-average and finds a coach willing to deal with the chances-against because he also creates a bunch of chances-for. While I believe in his talent and ability, I cannot justify ranking him as a 1st round pick at this time.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Simon Nemec, HK Nitra Slovakia (STI Ranking #4, McKenzie #4)
Let's cut to the chase and say off the bat this is a player the New Jersey Devils absolutely must be tracking closely. With defensemen early in the draft, there is always some risk -- as defensemen take longer than forwards to develop and there is usually more projection necessary as a result among a team's scouting staff. Nemec kind of transcends this -- I feel there's virtually no risk he won't be at least a good NHL defenseman, and there's a great deal of reasons to be optimistic Nemec will be an all-situations, two-way stud NHL RD for many years down the line.

Nemec's tool kit is best described as ideal. He's got ideal size at 6'1-190, and he is an excellent skater who is fast and agile without being quite elite in terms of speed or edges. He gets where he wants to go quickly and is rarely outskated, especially when combined with his anticipation and awareness, both of which are excellent. Nemec's intangibles shine across the board -- he's extremely smart and competitive and knows what to do on the ice in any situation -- he's always aware of not just what is going on the ice, but also the context of the game, which is impressive for a player his age. Down a goal late? Nemec is slinging stretch passes and pinching in everywhere in the offensive zone. Up one goal late? Nemec is hanging back and playing conservatively trying his best to protect that lead. There's little doubt he's a smart kid.

Nemec's most elite tool in my opinion is his passing and vision. This kid will be an absolute beast in transition. The moment he collects the puck anywhere in the defensive zone, he already knows what to do with it. He's one of the better transitional passers I've seen in the past decade, often flinging highlight reel passes up ice to forwards which stun the opposition and often have them playing on their heels for the rest of the game whenever he's on the ice. Nemec is also very good at playmaking in the offensive zone and on the PP.

This brings us to the most viable aspect of Nemec's future success. He's potentially the player who you put out to protect a late lead or come back from a late deficit, a player who will be on the first unit for both your PP and PK. He's just so steady defensively. He's not what I'd call a player who relies on physicality, but he's willing to play physically and is very strong, especially considering he's one of the youngest defensemen in the Slovakian men's league. He's very adept at using shoulder checks and box outs to separate opposing puck carriers from the puck, and then he's very quick to transition those pucks. Positionally, I'd say he's not quite perfect but he's very good and, as I've mentioned, Nemec displays very good on-ice awareness. Quite simply, he's a very good defender -- I'd go so far to say this aspect of his game is further along than his offense right now, and has the potential to one day be pretty elite.

When combined with his scoring upside -- and Nemec has significant scoring upside -- it's no wonder Nemec is considered the consensus top defender for the 2022 draft. However, it's important not to confuse Nemec with Cale Makar or John Carlson -- I wouldn't say he'll be a 60-70 point guy in his NHL career. Nemec's shot is okay, but not a cannon blast like David Jiricek. Sometimes Nemec has trouble getting the puck to the net from the point, and that's something he'll have to work on. He seems to have a great deal of shot attempts blocked away. Although he's very adept at rushing in from the point if given a window, his hands are also "good but not elite", and the fact that defenders fear his passing more than his shot allow them to ease back on defending him a bit which limits this ability.

Ultimately, I'd say Nemec's potential is as a shut-down, all-situations NHL defender with 50+ point ability. This is an extremely tempting player which every single NHL team would rightly covet. As far as his ceiling goes, it's hard to say. This is not a player with many aspects we would define as "flaws", but if he can improve his skating to a near-elite level and get smoother with his shooting and puckhandling... well, he could one day make my projection look extremely conservative. What I really love about him is that his floor is unnaturally high for a draft-eligible defender. There's virtually no risk here. I would be willing to bet the farm Simon Nemec will, at the very least, be an extremely effective two-way, all-situations defender at the NHL level. It's rare to make such a statement with such confidence, but Nemec is just that impressive thus far into his amateur career.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW/RW (left shot) Viktor Neuchev, Yekaterinburg MHL (STI Ranking #37, McKenzie: Honorable Mention)
I'm not sure why the MHL has been so underscouted, but year in and year out it's become a gold mine for draft-day sleepers. This year, Alexander Perevalov is a top 10 pick in my book with a consensus ranking near the bottom of the first round and Gleb Trikozov is a top 25 pick in my book with a consensus ranking in the second round. The third draft day steal out of the MHL is likely Viktor Neuchev, who is often ranked in the 3rd round or later but has a good chance to sneak into my first round rankings. He absolutely slaughtered his league with 40 goals in 61 games, averaging 5 shots per game. He's a 6'2 -165 offensive dynamo who skates well and, if he fills out, has top 6, high-scoring NHL forward written all over him.

Neuchev has no weakness which should keep him out of any scout's top 50 players for the 2022 draft. He's not an elite skater, but he's a good one with nice mechanics. We could see his speed and acceleration improve with some building of his core strength in the weight room. He's a high IQ, high vision player who can also absolutely wire the puck. I'm not sure if his finest trait is shooting or smarts, but he's near elite in both categories. Neuchev is a volume shooter who certainly prefers the shot over the pass, but when the opposition double-teams him -- as often happens -- he's great at dishing the disk to an open linemate. He's got sneaky good puck skills and can dangle a bit, but that's not his calling card. Neuchev is more of a catch-and-release guy than a possession player. Still, he is so much better than most of his league that he is an asset in virtually every area of the game.

Defensively, Neuchev needs some refinement but shows good instincts and a very commendable effort level. Though he's not the absolute warrior of a Perevalov-level, this is still a player with a plus compete level. He can be passive on the forecheck but he back checks with great effort and battles hard for the puck. Offensively, he's always willing to go to the net, because ultimately this is a player who lives to score goals and will stop at nothing to achieve this.

Neuchev is a raw talent, but he's a significant talent. He's been absurdly overlooked in the scouting and draft writing communities. I honestly have to say people just haven't seen him. There's not a way on the planet another draft writer can convince me there are 40 better players than Viktor Neuchev, much less 64. He has a very good chance to rise into my first-round rankings by year's end. This is a player you look at as soon as the 2nd round of the draft starts and, if he's available in the 3rd, he's very likely to be the best player left on the draft board.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Marcus Nguyen, Portland WHL (STI Ranking #64, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Not every young prospect has the extreme talent necessary to become a big-time scorer at the highest levels. Some of these players flame out, willing to compromise their overall game to cheat for higher offensive numbers. Others adapt, combining what skills they have with a ferocious compete level to become a legitimate prospect for an NHL bottom 6 role. Marcus Nguyen is one of these players, and as such, he's a terrific super sleeper for the late rounds of the 2022 draft.

Nguyen is a 5'10-170 winger who has one legit physical tool -- he's fast as hell. He combines this with his one elite intangible -- the Calgary native has one of the best compete levels you will ever see. His rabid competitive edge plays up his speed, as he is one of the fiercest forecheckers for the 2022 class. He fears nothing despite modest size, and he's almost like a textbook for "How To Be A Great Checking Winger". He's always digging for pucks, always hounding the opposition, always crashing the crease. His defensive game is terrific, and he's an excellent penalty killer.

With an August '04 birthday, Nguyen is one of the youngest players for this June's draft, and he is not devoid of offensive skills, as his 22-goal draft-eligible campaign would indicate. Nguyen has a nice set of hands, and although he's far from an elite vision guy, he's always smart and on point with his passing game. His shot rates as average, and most of his goals are of a greater variety than beating a goalie clean. He's never going to score a ton, but he's a digger who will force a ton of mistakes from the defense and make his bottom-6 linemates better as a result.

Nguyen is not ranked by anyone anywhere, but he's certainly worth a pick in the late rounds. He's a very high floor player -- kids with this kind of heart at least make it to the AHL, and I feel he has an excellent chance of making it as an NHL 4th liner, with an upside as a 3rd liner if he can develop his scoring skills a bit more. Wherever Marcus Nguyen winds up, he's certain to be a favorite by teammates, coaches and fans alike. He's the penultimate heart and soul guy.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
LD Filip Nordberg, Sodertalje J20, Sweden Jr. (STI Ranking #113, McKenzie: Honorable Mention)
When you first set your eyes on Nordberg, you see a 6'4-210 defenseman who looks like he can crush anyone else on the ice surface. Well, what you see is pretty much what you get here. Like with many big, defense-first blue liners, Nordberg has many benefits to a line-up, but also comes with ample limitations.

You're drafting Nordberg for his defense and physicality. He's usually the strongest player on the ice, and has little difficulty winning board battles and crease conflicts. Once he gets the puck, he prefers the simple outlet pass or chip up the boards. His compete is very good, and I'd say his defensive awareness and positioning are plusses, as well. In his own zone, Nordberg gets the job done, and he does it with no small amount of authority.

Nordberg's areas of needed improvement are about what you would expect. He's an average skater, which limits his effectiveness against the rush. Nordberg has problems defending against speed, and this is an area he simply must address, as the game gets faster at each higher level going upwards. Similarly, Nordberg is never going to be an offensive weapon. He's fine with the puck, not a liability, but he's never going to be a big point producer or offensive weapon at any level.

Because of his 6'4-210 frame, good defense and physicality, Nordberg has certainly been noticed more by NHL scouting teams than by draft analysts. I would not be surprised if he went has high as the 3rd round in the 2022 draft, though a safer estimate would be the 4th/5th round range for the 2022 draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Jani Nyman, Ilves Finland (STI Ranking #45, McKenzie #55)
There is no shortage of power/interior forwards for the top two rounds of the 2022 draft, and Jani Nyman is a terrific example. He's bounced around a bit, so we've gotten to watch him in a league he's too good for (Finnish U20), a minor men's league he starred in (Mestis), and a major men's league he's not quite ready for a top 6 role in (Liiga). What impresses me the most is the versatility he's displayed through this -- he was the go-to power forward in the two lower leagues, but was moved to a 4th line role in Liiga and displayed premium effectiveness in that role, as well. Nyman's ceiling is as a 2nd-line power forward who can score, but he's also a heavy-hitting crease-crasher who can thrive in an NHL bottom 6 even if his scoring does not develop the way we hope.

Nyman is a big kid at 6'3-210 and, with a July 30 birthdate, he's still decidedly on the younger side for a 2022 draft-eligible. He knows how to throw his ridiculous strength around. Nyman is a ferocious forechecker who punishes opposing defensemen with regularity and without mercy. In his short stint in the U20, we would often see defensemen blindly flinging pucks away because they were, quite frankly, terrified by the prospect of being pasted into the glass by this kid. Once his team gains possession, Nyman's general role to to crash the net, where he is a beast at screening goaltenders and banging home rebounds and loose pucks.

Breaking down the skill set, we can see a kid who is not just power, but a intricate player with room to grow. His skating is neither a strength nor weakness, as he's one of those "skates well for his size" types who lack open ice high-end speed and high-end agility, but can skate well and is extremely strong on his skates. His awareness and compete level both grade as good to very good, which play up his two plus skills of shooting an puck handling. Nyman has a heavy shot which can beat a goaltender from outside the circles, which is not surprising for a player of his enormous strength. His hands are indeed surprising -- this is a kid who can really dangle. His puck-moves can dazzle, and the hands also improve his ability to deflect shots on net while he is screening the goaltender and battling checks. I'd say this combination gives him 20+ and maybe 25+ goal upside in an ideal scenario. But again, even if he does not reach those peaks, he's a beast for your bottom 6.

Nyman has a great deal to work on, particularly his defensive game and overall positioning. However, he's a hard working kid on the ice who shows some nice smarts and anticipation, so I'm keeping the faith. Nyman's consensus ranking is around the mid-second round, with a high ranking of #40 (Draft Prospects Hockey) and a low ranking of #68 (The Puck Authority -- a bureau which seems to grade down for physicality). In my initial rankings, I had Nyman at the very end of my 1st round, #32 overall. I'm not sure he has yet displayed the offensive chops to stay in my 1st rankings, but he won't fall past the first few picks of the 2nd round. This is a very physical, high floor prospect who is the type of interior player you want on your side, and as such I'm extremely high on his future.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Calle Odelius, Djurgardens J20, Sweden Jr. (STI Ranking #48, McKenzie #36)
As I'm currently writing up all the players I feel have a shot to be first-round picks in the 2022 draft, it was also necessary to mention Calle Odelius. While not a player with any singular elite tool, he's also a kid with good size (6'1-185) and skating who is counted on for solid defensive play and a bit of an edge, while he also produces offensively -- he's second among 2022-eligible defensemen in scoring in the Swedish junior circuit.

Odelius is a raw prospect who needs several years of development before challenging for a job in the NHL, but there is no reason to believe he does not have mid-pairing upside. Without blowing you away with any singular aspect of his game, he shows a proclivity for every aspect of the game and has very good potential as a two-way NHL blueliner. As stated, he's a good skater with four way mobility. He's also elusive, as he's both agile on his skates and a nifty puck handler. He's got good shooting ability and I like his awareness and vision both in the offensive zone and on transition.

Defensively, Odelius shows great acumen in one-on-one battles and is not afraid to get his hands dirty. He's what I'd call reactionary in terms of physicality, which is to say he'll fight and show courage but is generally not initiating the contact. I'd like to see him be a bit more assertive on the whole, as while Odelius is a good defender he sometimes gets caught play-watching and stops moving his feet. I feel Odelius is good in terms of both hockey IQ and compete, so these should be things which are alleviated in the course of his development.

I see Odelius as a pick for the late first/early second round. He's certainly got some upside, maybe not as a 50-point guy or shut-down force, but as a player who can be counted on in all situations for all aspects of the game. There's nothing not to like about this kid, when it comes down to it.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Liam Ohgren, Djurgardens J20, Sweden Jr. (STI Ranking #18, McKenzie #21)
As a high-effort player who does all the little and big things right, Ohgren is really easy and fun to watch. He's also easy and fun to write-up, as one of the most projectable players for the 2022 draft. Ohgren is one of the highest-floor players you will see.

Here's where you will see how easy it is to write up Ohgren. He's got good but not great size at 6'1-190. He's fast and mobile on his skates, but does not possess elite speed. He's a passer and puck-handler, without being awe-inspiring in any of those respects. He's a dual threat who makes good decisions in the offensive zone, while lacking any elite vision. If Ohgren has one near-elite tool, it's his shot -- which is phenomenal and among the best in the 2022 class.

Defensively and physically Ohgren is again good, but he's not intimidating anyone or a threat to win Selke trophies in the future. He just does whatever needs to be done, and he does it well. He's a nice player for your second power play unit or second penalty kill. I think you get the picture here.

Where Ohgren truly shines to me, and why he's likely to be ranked in my first round for the 2022 draft, is that his intangibles are not just "good" -- they're terrific. This is a really smart kid, who rarely makes a mental mistake. He does not panic or cave in any situation and, without any type of elite awareness, is always thinking the game at a high level. His compete level is probably his most outstanding trait, as Ohgren is always hustling, and always on the puck. If you need him to slot up to scoring line, he'll work his tail off there to create scoring opportunities. If you need him to slot down the line-up, he'll be a furious forechecking force for your bottom 6.

I can't help but love this kid, he's a hockey player through and through, and he's the kind of player you win with. Though you'd be stretching it to take him in the top 15 over some potential star scoring forwards or top-pairing defenders, late in the first round Liam Ohgren is a terrific, low risk pick. He's a very likely middle-six contributor in all aspects of the game, and there's a decent chance of his progressing to a top line scoring role.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Daniil Orlov, Sakhalinskiye MHL (STI Ranking #94, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
The best place to find under-the-radar defenders -- both this year and pretty much for the past half-decade -- has been in the MHL. 2022 is no different, with myriad great prospects who could be available even later in the draft than usual, due to the New Russian Factor and the difficulty of scouting the league this year.

In Orlov, you have everything you want for a future potential bottom-4 stalwart. He's a projectable 6'2-180 and skates very well. While many 6'0+ defenders his age have a very difficult time defending against speed, with Orlov this is not a problem. Orlov is silky on his skates, gliding up and down the ice and able to quickly maneuver with strong 4-way mobility.

Defense is the hallmark of Orlov's game. He's strong pretty much in all facets of his defensive game: one-on-one, gaps, positioning, stick activity, anticipation, you name it. I really don't see a weakness which would inhibit his ability to transition to the NHL, and when that is combined with his size and mobility you have an extremely high-floor defenseman, especially considering his likely draft position as late as the 4th/5th rounds.

Offensively and with the puck, Orlov is an A-B-C defenseman: protect against offense, attain the puck, release the puck. He's not creative or flashy, but with his simple style of play, it is very effective. If Orlov does not immediately see a safe pass on the outlet, he'll chip the puck up the boards. If Orlov does not see a clear entry, he'll dump in. In the offensive zone, he's an efficient enough passer to find the open man and hit them, but his overwhelming preference is to just fire the puck. Orlov's greatest singular skill is certainly his shot -- it's a real bomb from the point. I'd say he has double-digit goal potential at the NHL level, though I don't foresee him ever becoming a 40+ point guy due to the simplicity of his game.

There's nothing not to like here. Orlov is a strong defender who can positively affect your team in all three zones without blowing the doors off in terms of offensive danger. He'll be a high value pick anywhere after the mid-3rd round. This is a very good hockey player.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Noah Ostlund, Djurgardens J20 Sweden Jr. (STI Ranking #35, McKenzie #22)
Noah Ostlund is an extremely fast player in every regard. He skates fast, he plays fast and he thinks fast. His hockey IQ and awareness are elite, and his compete level is excellent. Ostlund is a high-level playmaker of extraordinary vision. All of these qualities make one think that he is a surefire first round pick, but his lack of size and strength and any mustard on his shot might drop him into the second round.

Offensively, Ostlund has a serious wow-factor to his game. He accelerates quickly and has the courage to dart in and out of traffic regardless of the size or physicality of the defenders he is playing against. He does not need to be given a passing lane, he'll take one -- he has the puck skills to open defenses like a can opener and the vision and passing acuity to send soft feeds through traffic onto his teammates' tape.

The problem is, all of this is done in space. Ostlund is probably about 150 pounds soaking wet, and maybe he's 5'10 right now. Though his courage makes you root for him to win the physical battles he will willingly engage in, he rarely does. Ostlund is a non-factor in board battles and down low. Though he is exceptional at creating space for himself, this is more difficult to do at the higher levels, and without that space Ostlund cannot succeed in his type of game.

In the Swedish juniors, Ostlund produced very nicely -- 6 goals and 22 assists for 28 points in 22 games. But I had to grit my teeth watching him after a call-up to the Swedish men's league. For all of Ostlund's drive and bravery, he's been bounced around like a ping-pong ball and did not tally a single point in 11 games. He's just not physically mature enough for those battles yet, and I'm not sure how it benefits his development to have him on the big club in Djurgardens.

Ostlund is certainly a playmaker before a shooter. I cannot repeat enough how precise and creative his passing game is. But can he be a center at the NHL level? His defensive game is excellent, this is not an issue. And again, I want to commend his courage -- Ostlund is always willing to go to the dirty areas, he just does not necessarily succeed to the degree you'd want in those areas. On one hand, many of his descriptions call to mind Sebastian Aho, who dropped to the 2nd round despite immense skill and then grew two inches and filled out and became an NHL star. On the other hand, if Ostlund cannot fill out an extremely thin frame, he' might be better utilized on the wing. This is not a "big player vs. small player" claim -- Brayden Point and Sidney Crosby are both 5'11, but they are also both tremendously strong for their size. Ostlund's strengths are the power of his brain and heart and passing game, but these will only play up to a top 6 NHL level if he can also find success down low.

Noah Ostlund is outstanding at hockey, and I'm rooting for him. However, I have seen him ranked as high as the top 20, and I'm not sure I can justify him there just yet. I'll probably have him ranked around the end of the first round. He's exciting and talented and extremely smart, and I'm willing to gamble on him having a successful NHL future.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Alexander Pelevin, Chaika MHL (STI Ranking #70, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Pelevin is a player who has really impressed me in limited viewings as being a player who defies what you initially expect out of him. At just 5'11-175 and with a primary physical asset of terrific skating ability, you think you're about to watch one of the "new age" offensive defender define his game with risk-taking and offensive generation. Then you just see him hitting everything he can like a wrecking ball while playing absolutely tenacious defense and you realize you're watching a pretty unique hockey prospect.

Pelevin is a late May birthday, so he's on the younger side for the 2022 draft. He's a terrific skater -- fast and agile with excellent edges and quick-twitch acceleration. I'd say he's a tremendous athlete, because he's also pretty solid for his size and I've seen him level much bigger MHL opponents. Everything about his game is fast and hard -- he's a high-compete defenseman who never gives an inch in puck and positional battles. His physicality for a sub-6'0 blueliner is very uncommon and a joy to watch. He simply doesn't care that he's smaller than you, he's just going to outwork and out-battle you and come away with the puck. Sometimes, his overzealousness hurts him. He can go looking for the big hit -- especially on the rush -- and when he doesn't achieve his goal, he can leave his team out-manned down low. I feel this is a very enthusiastic and good defender who will learn to better pick his spots.

In transition, Pelevin is a dual threat who can beat you with his plus-passing and plus-puckhandling, and his speed his always a threat. He's a smart kid, though not an elite-awareness type. His passing vision is good but not a dazzling tool like you'd expect from a faster, smaller rearguard. Pelevin's lack of any sort of a shot also limits his offensive ceiling. I think he'll accumulate some decent point totals because of his strong defending which lends itself to his excellent transition game, but we're not looking at a power play staple here. Just a very good defender who injects a great deal of speed and hustle into the line-up.

Pelevin's rankings I would say average in the 3rd/4th round range and I feel he's a very good pick there. Though the Devils won't be picking many LD in 2022, some team will covet his speed and physicality and draft him in that range despite lack of size or high-end offensive upside. I feel Pelevin has a very high floor as a bottom pairing guy, and some mid-pairing upside. This is certainly a player I like a lot, and it's difficult to conceive that anyone would feel differently after watching him play his high-motor, physical and solid defensive game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00