Prospect Info: Devils HFBoards 2022 Draft Resource, Indexed Profiles A Thru Z

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Evan Konyen, Sudbury OHL (STI Ranking #72, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Here's a nice under the radar winger for all the sleeper-diggers out there. Konyen is a 5'10-165 speed demon with some terrific offensive upside, and I feel he deserves more attention. I might like his upside more even than his far more heralded teammate David Goyette. Despite scoring at near a PPG pace for a moribund offensive Wolves team, Konyen's high rankings are a handful of people who see him as a late 3rd round pick, and most people haven't ranked him at all. I think this has to do with his size more than anything, because his listed measurements seem a bit generous. However, this is a player with very intriguing offensive potential and I'm quite high on him.

Konyen is an excellent skater. He's in that just-shy-of-elite range, where he's explosive in space and quick on his edges in tight but not quite in the top grouping of the 2022 class. He plays fast and thinks fast, and has a nice set of hands which give him the ability to even work some puck magic at high speeds. Konyen is a very good passer and an even better shooter. His wrist shot is nasty -- a quick release and a lot more power behind it than his physique would seem to lend itself to. I think this kid is just a tremendous athlete, and I think he has a lot of room to grow. Konyen is the type of player you draft in the 4th round and don't really think about, but then he builds his core strength and all of his skills play up as a result and then he puts up 100 points in his final CHL season and everyone is wondering where the hell he came from.

Not that Konyen does not have several aspects of the game to work on. His defense needs work, but it's not something I worry about because he shows high general awareness and a very good compete level. Like many young scoring forwards, he can get lost in opposing cycles and lose his man or positioning, and like many smaller forwards he can be muscled off the puck. But with wingers this does not scare me off prospects like it would with a defenseman or a center, and Konyen's natural instincts and elusiveness precludes him from absorbing too much damage.

Ultimately, I think Konyen is a legit second line scoring prospect at the highest levels. The combination of his speed, puck skills and shot are just extremely encouraging to me. I'd say he's certainly worth a pick from the mid-2nd round on, although he's a better value if you wait until the 4th because so many NHL front offices likely consider him too small. Konyen's high IQ and good compete give him a higher floor than most prospects of his ilk, because I think even if he doesn't reach his ultimate ceiling he would still be able to ably contribute to a 3rd line down the road. Evan Konyen is a fast and talented scoring winger, and despite a lack of gaudy totals or pre-draft attention, he's a terrific prospect with serious sleeper potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Jake Karabela, Guelph OHL (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie #76)
Karabela started the 2021-22 season on a tear which had many thinking he could work his way up to the 2nd round conversation. The local Guelph product cooled as the season wore on, and it leads to the question of why. If he's had health issues, they haven't been serious enough to miss time on the ice. Perhaps it's due to his lack of a palpable role, as his coaches use him as a bit of a Swiss-army knife, switching him from line to line and from center to wing. The 5'11-170 forward's overall production stands as solid, with 45 points in 68 games.

There are many things Karabela does well. He's a very good skater who shows playmaking ability and excels in the face-off circle. He is capable on the power play and the penalty kill, and he is very good in transition. He's a decent puck handler, though not a true dangler. Karabela's shot has potential but needs work -- it's heavy, but the accuracy and the release both need to be cleaned up.

There are certain frustrating inconsistencies in Karabela's game. His effort level seems to be a bit volatile -- one game he'll look like a high-motor guy, the next game he'll look like he's leaving something on the ice every shift. In the defensive zone, it's maddeningly similar. He has struck me as a forward with high defensive potential and a forward who can be a defensive liability at different points in different games.

I'd estimate Karabela's consensus ranking to be in the 4th-6th round range. He's a bit of a wishing-well pick, because if you get the Karabela from the opening month of the season, you're getting a steal that late. But the opposite side of the coin comes with some concern, so you're going to have to cross your fingers there is some ulterior reason for his inconsistencies throughout the season.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Kevin Korchinski, Seattle WHL (STI Ranking #49, McKenzie #11)
Often listen as a first round pick by many in the NHL Draft community, I find Kevin Korchinski to be one of the most difficult to assess players in the entire 2022 class. One one hand, you've got a 6'2-185 kid with tremendous skating in speed, power and edges who lives to create offense and is putting up video game number (61 assists in 67 games!) in the WHL. On the other hand, you've got one of the most inconsistent players in the entire draft -- maybe not for lack of effort, but this is a kid who routinely follows up shifts where he dominates all 200-feet of ice with shifts where he makes a "what on earth was he thinking?" type play which leads to a goal for the opposition. Even minute to minute, you're never quite sure which Kevin Korchinski you're going to get.

When he's on his game, Korchinski stands out against any competition. The big & fast combination will see his name called in the first round, especially when combined with his notable skill. Korchinski is an elite playmaker from the blueline, with high-end vision. He likes to lead the rush, giving him the potential as a play-driver at any level. Unfortunately, it's another bite-your-nails-to-the-crick scenario. Korchinski can calmly and confidently skate around two guys leaving the defensive zone and two more entering the offensive zone, leading to a highlight-reel assist. Unfortunately, he can also be pressured into spinning around and running out of room, then coughing up the puck for a scoring-chance against.

It's not his compete level which affects his consistency, I'm never disappointed with Korchinski's effort. And it would be wrong to direct too many questions to his hockey IQ, as he often makes extremely smart plays. I just think Korchinski's thinking can be extremely linear -- he sets out to do something, and if it doesn't work, he can have difficulty in adjusting his initial strategy in any given situation.

Still we're talking about a kid who, when he's on, make tremendous passes and smart reads, especially in the offensive zone and when given some space to breathe on the PP. And his shot is very impressive -- Korchinski can seriously unload the puck, which will create scoring opportunities at any level. And -- again, when he's on -- Korchinski is also a good defender, aided by very good physical strength and an active stick with a long reach.

Kevin Korchinski is the ultimate high-risk/high-reward defender, both on a play-by-play basis during any given game, and also consummately as a prospect. If he can limit his mistake-prone tendencies and tighten his overall game, the upside is huge. Korchinski is not a safe pick by any means, but he has all the natural ability necessary to reward the team which gambles on his natural talents.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Arseni Koromyslov, SKA-1946 MHL (STI Ranking #27, McKenzie #86)
Koromyslov is a two-way defender who has been sorely underrated by the general scouting community, despite a singular first-round ranking, listed at #28 overall by TSN's Craig Button. Though a lot of people like to criticize Button's hot-button rankings, I believe with this particular player, there is something there. Koromyslov has a projectable frame at 6'3-180 and skates extremely well. He shows very good proclivity both offensively and defensively and is a sneaky good prospect for the 2022 draft.

The Moscow native is very smooth defensively in all respects. He excels at defending against the rush, and he's also terrific along the boards and in tight. He's very difficult to beat one-on-one. He used effective physicality rather than assertive physicality, able to separate puck-carrier from puck with smart positioning, good strength and battle and excellent shoulder-checking technique. His positioning and gaps are very good and show the aptitude to become simply excellent. He features an active stick and is terrific at clogging shooting lanes and blocking passing lanes. He's more of a quiet defender than a loud one, but I'd say he's just a subtly outstanding player in this respect.

Offensively, I believe wholeheartedly that Koromyslov has sneaky upside. While quite efficient and smart in his general passing game, he sometimes flashes higher awareness, completing slick, high-danger passes which lead to tremendous scoring opportunities. Koromyslov is much the same in transition -- though he generally prefers the high-percentage play, every so often he'll raise your eyebrows with a sparkling stretch pass which leaves you wondering where exactly it came from and how much more of that might exist beneath the understated surface. Koromyslov generally prefers to start transition with a pass, but also shows the ability to skate the puck out of traffic, which also lends to the belief that he has more offensive skill than his generally careful style of play lets on. This is how I've felt about many of my favorite draft-eligible defensemen over the years, from Andrew Peeke to Drew Helleson to Brock Faber. It makes me feel there may be more offensive upside than the numbers thus far indicate -- numbers which are obscured simply because Koromyslov is a team-first guy who takes care of his own zone before worrying about the offense.

Right now, Arseni Koromyslov is my runaway top defender from the MHL for the 2022 draft. The consensus top D out of his league is Vladimir Grudinin, but I have to say right now I have Koromyslov ahead of him by a country mile. It's not close. He is one of the best sleepers in the entire 2022 class. I can say with conviction that a future as an all-situations, mid-pairing NHL defender is a very realistic one for this player. He's going to be a terrific pick for a smart-drafting team, probably in the 2nd or 3rd round. My ranking of him will be even higher than this, because I simply don't believe there are 32 players in the 2022 draft who are better prospects than Koromyslov. This kid is just that good.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW/C Jiri Kulich, Karlovy EHL Czechia (STI Ranking #13, McKenzie #18)
Every year there are prospects I don't shut up about because I feel their consensus value lags far below their actual upside. Jiri Kulich is one of these prospects. I'm not certain why his consensus draft position generally falls in the early second round range, because he is a prospect I would strongly consider in the middle of the first round. This is a player who starts every shift like he was shot out of a cannon and leaves every iota of effort on the ice and starts the next shift the exact same way. But Jiri Kulich is not simply about compete level, because here we have a player with projectable size at 6'0-175, very good skating, high-level intelligence and no shortage of skills. While he lacks a singular elite tool, he also lacks any discernible weakness. His excellent abilities across the board combined with his elite intangibles of compete level and hockey IQ make him a prospect to be reckoned with.

I made a point in the previous paragraph of saying Kulich lacks a singular elite physical tool, but I need to begin an analysis of skills by hammering home the fact that the young Czechian forward's compete level is absolutely elite. I also need to repeat the fact that -- in my oft-stated opinion -- compete level may be the most important tool a hockey player can have, as it plays up every other one of their skills. With Kulich, he is always on the puck, he is a beast on the forecheck, and even if initially beaten he never gives up on a play. He plays as if there is a magnet towards the opposing net -- he's always driving into the opposing crease, with or without the puck. His game can generally be described as north/south, but I'd say he's more like "north/north". Though this can seem simple and rudimentary, it's amazing how many young hockey players choose the fancy play or the dazzle dazzle over the inclination to constantly flood the area where most goals are scored. While a more perimeter game can benefit elite talents like a Patrick Kane or a Nikita Kucherov, those elite talents actually benefit from having a linemate like Kulich who is just bum-rushing the crease and pounding shots on net.

And Kulich certainly possesses the requisite skill to play with high-caliber linemates. He's one of those "jack of all trades master of none" sorts -- he shoots well, he passes well, he puck handles well, he sees the ice well, he skates well. There are no weaknesses unless you're really nitpicking, which is especially impressive considering Kulich is on the younger side for the 2022 draft with a mid-April birthdate -- and even moreso when you consider he's playing quite well in a bottom 6 role for a team in the Czechia men's league. Though Kulich plays a great deal of center right now, I actually prefer him in the NHL as a LW -- I feel his game on both ends of the ice is improved through simplification, as this is a wonderful but also wonderfully non-complicated player. In the defensive zone, Kulich hustles his tail off to retrieve the puck, then makes smart plays to begin or compliment transition. In the offensive zone, Kulich works his tail off and when he gets the puck, he's looking to drive to the net or fire it on net. His passing his effective but lacks high-end creativity -- he hits the open man, but is not the guy to anticipate or create the lanes necessary for dazzling east-west plays. But if there's an open guy in tight make no mistake, Kulich will find him.

Jiri Kulich to me is a low risk, mid-first-round draft pick whose reward is far higher than most people are giving him credit for. His compete mixed with an active brain which I'd alsmost describe as "hockey street smarts" plays up his skill set which is impressive and weakness-free in its own right. I say a player with a very high floor as a beast on an NHL 3rd line, but not just that. If Kulich can improve his already quite good skating and puckhandling a couple of notches, it's important to not underestimate his ability to compliment top talent -- this is certainly a kid with 30+ goal upside, in my opinion. As such, and also taking into account his all-around game -- I'm going to be proud to rank Jiri Kulich in my mid-first round rankings.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Kasper Kulonummi, Jokerit U20 Finland Jr. (STI Ranking #118, McKenzie #82)
Kasper Kulonummi is the consummate jack of all trades, master of none. This makes him both difficult to pinpoint for draft day and also difficult to easily define as a player. He's productive offensively, but not a big-chance taker or prototypical offensive defenseman. He's steady defensively, but not really physical or shut-down in that capacity. He's just an all-around solid kid with the ability to play in any role or situation. His coaches count on him for heavy, varietal minutes and have given him the responsibility of an 'A' on his jersey. He's produced quite well for a defenseman, with 29 points in 40 U20 games.

Kulonummi is neither big nor small at 6'0-175. He's a pretty good skater, but I would not call him exceptional in any respect of speed, balance more agility. Everything across the skill-board comes with a check for Kulonummi, but nothing gets a "plus". His finest assets are his calm with the puck and intelligence; Kulonummi plays a cool, composed game at both ends. If Kulonummi has a weakness its his shot, which lacks any discernible juice behind it and is easily reacted to by opposing netminders.

I'd say Kulonummi is advanced in terms of awareness and positioning in all three zones. He's kind of a coaches dream in that you just plug him out there and he does his job pretty quietly. If his ceiling is as a 3rd pairing defender at the NHL level, he is easily projectable as a very good one who does not make mistakes and efficiently keeps the puck going in the right direction. Though it's not "sexy", there is nothing wrong with this type of player.

I'd say Kulonummi's consensus ranking is anywhere from the mid-3rd round to the 5th round. If he slips past the 4th, he's a very good pick, as every team is always needing RD, perhaps more than any other skating position. Kasper Kulonummi is good at hockey, and there's no reason to think he will not get better.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C Ilya Kvochko, Magnitogorsk MHL (STI Ranking #109, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Every once in a while, there's a player who is terrific as an amateur for whom the only concern is how his particular skill set will translate to the higher levels. Ilya Kvochko is a perfect example of this. He's averaging a point per game as perhaps the best two-way center in the MHL and he's been absolutely dynamite in tournament play. But he's also a 5'9 center with so-so skating whose finest attribute is his defensive play, a task which will become far more difficult at higher levels when everyone he's assigned to defend is twice his size and quite possibly faster.

Kvochko has everything you'd want out of a player at his level. He's extremely smart and competitive, and routinely outworks and out-thinks his opponents in the defensive zone. Every decision he makes is the right decision, and his anticipation and positioning are both plus skills. He's a coaches dream. He's sneaky and very adept at baiting the puck-carrier to think he's not one step ahead of them when he is, which enables him to be great at stealing pucks with nifty stick-lifts and coming seemingly out of nowhere to pick off passes. I can't say it enough, Kvochko is a very smart kid.

Offensively, he's a pass first player with plus vision. He's a good but not great dangler, but his high IQ allows him to find space or make it, and all it takes is a small window of space for Kvochko to complete terrific dishes all over the ice. Kvochko is certainly more of a playmaker than scorer, and his shot is below average and something which needs work. Most of Kvochko's problems come from the fact that his brain is miles ahead of his athleticism. He'll anticipate the puck but be out-skated to it, he'll go to the right place for a puck battle but be out-muscled. But it's tough to find fault with a player who literally does everything right in theory and just sometimes fails in actual practice.

Kvochko's rankings generally fall in the late 2nd round to late 3rd round range. As much as I'm fond of this player, I do not take him so high. He would certainly be a consideration for me in the later rounds, because his advanced game processing and great motor give him a floor of at least an AHL depth center. But as smart and hard-working as he is, a lack of size, speed and shooting has to limit what we set as his ceiling. As such, Kvochko is a later round pick -- albeit one I'll be rooting for to exceed expectations all the way.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Christian Kyrou, Erie OHL (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie #78)
Christian Kyrou is the younger brother of St. Louis Blues emerging star forward Jordan Kyrou, but he's the oldest player in the entire 2022 draft. He's an offensive defenseman who has put up outstanding numbers in the OHL, with 16 goals and 39 assists for 55 points in just 59 games from the blueline. He's already being discussed as a mid-round gem by the more stat-based draft evaluators, and has already garnered several rankings in the first few picks of the 2nd round. But he's also an undersized (5'11-185) defenseman with some problems in his own end which will only exacerbate as he levels up in competition against players who can skate with him and outmuscle him in his own zone.

Christian Kyrou is an excellent skater, though not the elite skater his brother Jordan is. He has explosive acceleration and great agility, he just can't blow away the entire rink in open ice like Jordan used to in his days with the Sarnia Sting. This is certainly an asset for Christian, who uses a combination of his great skating and flashy puck skills to drive transition with possession and often behave as a 4th forward in the offensive zone. Christian is very quick to activate off the point, and once he does his quickness and elusiveness make him extremely dangerous. He's a good passer and decent shooter, but neither jump off the page as extremely high-end. And herein lies the problem -- Kyrou lacks elite skills offensively, and as a heavily offense-first defenseman, his NHL upside might be in the 40-point range, which would make him a second-pairing level player.

The question we must ask is: is Christian Kyrou a player with enough offensive upside to mitigate the fact his risk-taking and defensive questions which could lead to multiple high-danger chances against? Don't take this wrong -- I would not call Kyrou a defensive liability. He's pretty solid in his gaps and positioning, and he plays solid defense against the rush. But he is often beaten down low, and -- as to be expected -- some of his high-danger risk-taking backfires. What you're hoping for after a few years of development is a 40-point, 2PP rearguard who is in the above-average range in his own zone.

I would certainly draft Kyrou, just not in the top half of the 2nd round where he has been ranked. There are too many questions for a player who, if he does not approach his talent ceiling, will be a major match-up question for his own professional team. The upside is good, and I'm not doubting that, but this is a player I start to look at later on in the draft -- probably in the 4th round range, and maybe the 5th. By that point, Kyrou's name and gaudy OHL numbers will see him already long gone.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Michael La Starza, Sioux Falls USHL (STI Ranking #110, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Michael La Starza is an outstanding skater, and will certainly represent one of the fastest players available from the mid-to-late rounds of the 2022 draft. His acceleration is explosive, his agility is dextrous and his top speeds are stupendous. He adds to this high end passing vision and playmaking abilities along with good puckhandling acumen which gives him very real NHL scoring-line upside. However, this is also a player with a ton of work to do over the next several years at Boston University in order to reach his considerable potential.

La Starza's speed and skating make him deadly on transition and in space, but in tightly checked battles he can be a bit predictable. La Starza's shot needs a lot of work, making him a heavily pass-first player, which his opponents are keen on. Well-coached opponents know they can back off on him outside the circles, as his shot is no threat and he'd rather not rely on it, anyway. La Starza is not small at 5'11-185, but most of his game is on the perimeter. He likes to dictate play by using his shiftiness and quickness to maneuver around with the puck until a passing lane opens, but when the defense plays him for exactly this, sometimes he's just be better off firing away and rushing the crease.

Defensively, La Starza needs work, but I'd have to say his awareness and effort levels are promising enough. I feel going to a great BU program, we will certainly see La Starza improve dramatically in the coming years. The Montreal native has to be intriguing for his speed and puck skills alone, and I feel he's been a bit overlooked with a high ranking of #96 (Draft Prospects Hockey). I'd consider him a flyer with upside from pretty much the 5th round on.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Elmeri Laakso, SaiPa Finland (STI Ranking: Not Ranked, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Laakso is the penultimate "I wish he were a better skater" defenseman. He's smart, competitive and good two-ways. He offers a very solid all-around skill-set and decent size at 6'1-185. His offensive game is smart and he's terrific in transition with an outstanding first-pass and commendable decision-making, especially for a teenager playing in a men's league. His defensive game is gritty and savvy and he's excellent in every type of battle. This is a very good hockey player.

Unfortunately, the NHL is an extremely fast league, and Laakso's skating is even an issue in the Finland men's league, which plays far slower. Quite simply, he's a below average skater, and there's no need to pick this tool apart and pick on Laakso. Because again, he's a very good hockey player with all the intangibles you can ask for.

I'm writing up Laakso because he deserves due credit and draft-day attention simply because he is one of the two 2022 draft eligible defensemen skating with a regular role in the Finnish men's league (also Tomas Hamara). As such, Laakso deserves credit for being a player who is good two ways, smart and competitive, with a fully stocked tool kit aside from the one major detriment.

Laakso might be worth a flyer in the 7th round. If he can improve his skating to average for his age group -- which is a big IF -- there is certainly potential here. But there's a lot of work to do in this respect. He's a player I like, and anyone who appreciates hockey would like, but not necessarily one you would draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/RW Brad Lambert, JYP Liiga (STI Ranking #17, McKenzie #16)
The first aspect you notice about Brad Lambert is that he is an ideally sized forward (6'0-180) who has absolutely elite skating and stick handling abilities. Any time he gets the puck in open ice, he stands out with a whole lot of razzle-dazzle. He has the rare, edge-of-your-seat ability to accelerate in a flash and turn or stop on a dime while possessing the puck on a string. He makes opposing defenders look downright silly in open ice. One wrong crossover or decision, and Brad Lambert has already blown past you with the puck. He's dynamic in a sense which can only be described as rare and extremely exciting.

Lambert is also quite good with the puck in the offensive zone. He's very adept at using his skating and puck-handling to open up passing lanes, and then he's got borderline elite passing ability and vision to get the puck onto the tape of his teammates in dangerous scoring areas. He knows how to get open and he knows how to find the open man. The mix of high-end edges, thinking and dangling gives him the ability to turn the slightest crack in defenses into a gaping hole, which he has the offensive ability to exploit to the utmost degree.

Why is such a player polarizing? Well, there are several reasons. First off, his thinking and often effort are not to the same level without the puck as with it. He can get lazy in the defensive zone and cherry-pick a bit, waiting for a teammate to recapture the puck so he can take off and do what he does best in open ice. Though Lambert has decent size, he does not often use this to his advantage, especially in the defensive end. He's also not perfect offensively, as it seems his shot needs a good deal of work. Though Lambert has dual-threat potential, he could certainly use a little more accuracy and zip on his shooting.

Lambert's largest criticism is his lack of production thus far this season in the Finnish men's league. His supporters often point to his low shooting percentage, citing this as "bad luck", but ultimately it's pretty clear to many in the scouting community that Lambert's shot is not his foremost strength. Is this an omen of potential scoring troubles at higher levels or is this just an aspect of play which Lambert needs to improve upon? This might be the million-dollar question.

Because, ultimately, Lambert could go as high as the top 5 overall, or he could slip into the back end of the top 20. There is no doubting his dynamic -- and absolutely elite -- ability to skate and puck handle. Lambert will garner excellent possession numbers due to these traits, which will certainly make him a darling in the analytics community. And for any person analyzing the draft in any regard -- there is no denying Lambert's immense upside. If he can make improvements in his shooting and 200-foot game, he is a potentially dynamic and high-scoring top line NHLer at either C or RW.

Conversely, we have to weigh in the risk. Fellow 2022 draft-eligible Joakim Kemell played on the same JYP team at the same age and sorely out-performed Lambert. There's no doubt that Kemell -- right now -- is a far superior player and scorer. It would have to take a lot of faith in one's scouting department's projections to draft Lambert with Kemell still on the board. On the same team, versus the same competition, at the same age -- Lambert was the superior player by a country mile.

This is how I would assess Brad Lambert -- his rare combination of elite skating and puck-handling juxtaposed with his outstanding passing and vision gives him star upside at any level. But this must be factored in against the risk of a player who has multiple kinks in his overall game and has struggled to produce in his draft-eligible season. If you pass on him after the top 5, you're passing on simply enormous talent. But if you take him this early, you're passing on far safer options.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Maveric Lamoureux, Drummondville QMJHL (STI Ranking #74, McKenzie #44)
I don't know if I'd call this kid a unicorn. He's more like Bigfoot. I mean, we're talking about a 6'7 defender who loves crushing people with open ice checks but also skates very well, likes to lead the rush and jump in on offense, and actually possesses a nice passing sense and very soft set of hands. I don't know who to compare him to, he's just so unique, and that's what makes him so challenging to project.

Lamoureux is a team-first kid who loves to get the boys going on his bench. He's always looking to plow an opponent into the ice. When he does, he's always giving a sly look to his teammates, who are usually halfway between "holy crap did you see that hit?" and "boy, am I glad he's on our side". His defensive game is built around the fact that he's well-nigh impossible to beat in one-on-one battles and that his reach is so enormous that it's tough to skate around him or get a pass by him. He's still learning the intricacies of positioning and gap control, but he shows a nice knack for the nuances and I've really enjoyed his overall defensive profession from last season to this one.

Offensively, Lamoureux is full of surprises. He likes to rush the puck into the zone, and he has a litany of moves for any defender, much less a 6'7 one. He likes to use his immense reach to hold the puck out, before pulling it back in at the last second, making a quick deke to get even with the defender, and then utilizing his strength and large frame to get around the defender without them able to poke the puck away from him. I think moves like this will work at any level. I'd say he's a good passer but not a high-end playmaker, but the skill is certainly promising enough that it has the potential to play up. I'd like to see more out of his point shot and, as with many big players, the wind-up can take forever giving defenders more than adequate time to block his lanes.

Lamoureux likes to lead transition, but it's a work in progress. When pressured by quality forecheckers, he can panic a bit and be forced into bad passes and turnovers. He can be a bit of an adventure against high-level competition. This is not a perfect player, but you're not drafting him for the player he is now so much as for what he has the potential to be. The risk is that, as a unique prospect, it's very tough to say what he is going to be.

I like to think of Maveric Lamoureux as the type of player who can one day blossom into a physical, defensive beast with the skating acuity and puck skills and intelligence necessary to be an impact player for an NHL second pairing. I've seen him ranked anywhere from the early 2nd round to out-of-the-top-100-completely, so it's tough to pinpoint where he'll go. But a high compete 6'7 RD who can skate and intimidate? He won't fall too far on draft day.

From a Devils standpoint, we all know how badly the team needs RDs in the system. Lamoureux is a guy I'd be considering as soon as the team's likely top-40 pick in the early second round. He's certainly a project, and not a player I'd expect in the NHL for maybe 4 or 5 years. But the potential payoff here is huger than even his height measurement. With his wingspan and quality skating, this kid can singularly clog up the defensive zone, while his intelligence and skill give him the ability to also contribute in the offensive zone. And his physicality is truly tantalizing. Maveric Lamoureux now is not the Maveric Lamoureux you'll wind up with, but either way he's a player I really like for draft day 2022.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Jeremy Langlois, Cape Breton QMJHL (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Langlois is another player who has flown under the proverbial radar, but offers a combination of size (6'1-185), speed and offensive skill which gives him the upside of a mid-pairing, 2PP QB who can put up impressive offensive totals if he approaches his talent ceiling. The caveat is, as with many young offensive minded defensemen, his defensive play is well behind his offensive play and as such he represents a lot of risk on draft day. With 47 points in 60 QMJHL games, he's still a likely mid-round pick, but the Quebec native might also represent an argument that looking at point totals is just a mere fraction of the story when assessing amateur defenders.

First, the good: Langlois can skate. Though not explosive or elite, he has excellent acceleration and can get up to high speeds in open ice quickly. This can make him a weapon in transition, as you give him a step and he's gone, rushing the puck over the center line. He displays the same aggressiveness and confidence in the offensive zone, where he is quick to activate and rush in from the point in order to generate offense. Langlois is also a very good passer in space, and he features an excellent shot. Though none of these talents are elite, they are all very good qualities which are certain to attract attention from NHL scouts.

The downside is that Langlois is not nearly as aware, aggressive or even interested in the defensive zone. He can get dreamy and distracted waiting for the puck to come to him, he can be beat one-on-one with regularity, and he can lose his positioning and float. Right now, there is no way to categorize his defensive play as adequate.

The question is, is this a result of playing on a doormat Cape Breton team with almost no talent around him, or is Langlois simply a poor defender? When you are a draft-eligible player who is relying on offensive production to be noticed to achieve your dream of being drafted in the NHL and your team pretty much loses every night anyway, would you sacrifice defense to create more offense? I think the common psychology might say yes. But again, this is the million-dollar question, because if Langlois played two ways with consistent intensity on a good team, he'd probably be a 2nd round pick with upside. As it stands, he's a defensive liability putting up impressive numbers but not helping his very bad team even remotely in the win/loss column.

I don't know where you draft Jeremy Langlois. The highest ranking I've seen for him is at #79 (FC Hockey), and several draft writers and bureaus do not have him ranked whatsoever. But the abilities are clearly there, so someone is going to take him in the late rounds, I would assume. I do not think it will be the Devils, as they are loaded at LD in the prospect pool. But he's certainly a player to note come draft day, because although it's cloudy there is true sleeper potential in this young player.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Zakary Lavoie, Mississauga OHL (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Lavoie has received little to no attention leading up to the 2022 draft because of a lack of speed or size (5'11-170) -- a combination which normally gets a player overlooked unless they are putting up just absurd point production. I wanted to write him up however, because this is a kid who is just a hockey player, a high-compete ball of courage who squeezes the most out of his natural abilities and leaves everything on the ice, shift in and shift out. I think he has the gumption and heart to make the NHL as a bottom 6 winger, and as such he's worth a flyer in the 6th or 7th round.

I don't think anyone has told Lavoie he's just 170 pounds. He plays like a 220-pound power forward. Everything is funneled to the net -- he's a volume shooter with the puck, and without it he's always crease crashing. I'd say his foremost strengths are his shot -- which is very good -- and his propensity for finding and burying rebounds. Thus far this year, Lavoie has accumulated 23 goals for the Steelheads, and he's a valuable contributor in their top 6. Lavoie is also a ferocious forechecker and hits anything in sight. Defenseman twice his size? He doesn't care. Lavoie is not fast, but his low skating stance and relative strength makes him a bit of a cannonball, routinely upending much larger opponents, much to their surprise and chagrin. Zakary Lavoie is a pain in the ass, and that's a big compliment.

Of course, the lack of speed will be a limitation going forward. Lavoie is also not a player to wow with his puck skills. He's a catch-and-release player -- either put it on net or dish it off to a teammate who is more adept at creating. But we should not be looking at Zakary Lavoie for what he is not, but rather for what he is -- and that's a heart and soul player with some scoring ability and the possibility of being a very good contributor for your bottom 6 someday.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Charlie Leddy, US-NTDP (STI Ranking: #116, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Leddy is basic -- a simple, stay-at-home defenseman who makes consistently smart and safe plays with the puck and wins one-on-one battles. He's likely not going to be drafted until the 6th/7th rounds and the Devils need RD prospects who have a high floor, making Leddy a player worth monitoring. He's a decent skater and uses smart physicality, which is to say shoulder checks and body positioning without looking to punish or intimidate opponents. His puck skills are passable, but he's never going to contribute too much on the scoresheets.

Leddy possesses most of the attributes you would want in a player of his ilk. Good gaps, good positioning. He uses his 6'1-180 physique quite well and I'd say he's quite strong for his size. He's clean in clearing the puck in space, though what he needs to work on the most is a propensity to bobble the puck under the pressure of high-level forechecks. He's not a guy to lead transition, he's more like the guy to follow it as a safety valve and the last player in the offensive zone. He's a good partner for offensive minded LDs, and as such we've seen him a lot alongside Lane Hutson.

Again, I don't see offensive upside here. Though his defensive awareness is high, his offensive awareness is two-dimensional. You're never going to see him on an NHL PP, but you could certainly see him be the bedrock of an NHL 3rd pairing. I'd say he has a very high floor as a shut-down guy in the AHL. As such, he's certainly a good pick from pretty much the 5th round on. He's not exciting, but he's effective in what he does, and from a Devils standpoint the need for prospect depth at RD is glaring. As such, he's a player to pay attention to in the late rounds of the 2022 draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Djurgardens J20, Swedish Junior (STI Ranking #20, McKenzie #8)
Lekkerimaki is a player who is very good in several areas but possesses one absolutely elite tool, which is a ridiculous snipe of a shot which is right up there with the very best in the entire 2022 class.

Lekkerimaki's shot is an absolute cannon, pro-level right now. Both his wrist shot and his slapper are deadly weapons -- high-end in terms of release, accuracy and power. His one-timer is equally lethal, and when he sets up in the left circle on the power play he's the go-to guy for his team every time. This is clearly a kid with 30+ goal potential at the NHL level, and that's the top reason why you're drafting him.

What I really like about Lekkerimaki is that his game is about more than just shooting. Although his shooting is his one tool we can rightly call elite, he's also an excellent skater and passer with an outstanding set of hands. His offensive IQ and on-ice awareness are similarly high-end. This kid was born to score, and that's exactly what he's looking to do every time he hits the ice.

Lekkerimaki is not a perfect player, but I feel most of his flaws can be improved. At 5'11-170, he's not small but he certainly needs to improve his core strength, as he can be knocked off the puck and does not win most of his battles along the boards. Though his compete level is pretty good, he prefers to always be looking for a seam in a shooting area to get open, and does not go to the net or dirty areas with much authority. I don't think it's a question of courage, so much as he knows his strengths play better on the perimeter. However, I'd like to see him charge the net for rebounds or tips more when his teammates are firing pucks towards the goal. Like many high-octane young offensive forwards, it's pretty clear Lekkerimaki's defensive game and awareness are nowhere near that of his offensive abilities in the same fields. If he wants top-line minutes at the NHL level, this will have to improve. Lekkerimaki is a smart kid who does not lack effort on the ice, so I expect him to do the same off of it to improve his flaws.

None of Lekkerimaki's flaws are red flags, and his strengths are obvious and remarkable, so I expect him to be drafted in the #12-#20 range of the 2022 first round. With a few improvements, he can be a first-line, high-goal-scoring forward at any level. Teams obviously covet this, as scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in professional hockey and Lekkerimaki was born for it.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Mats Lindgren, Kamloops WHL (STI Ranking #88, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Lindgren is getting some hype for the first round due to his notable offensive skills, as one of the youngest players eligible for the 2022 draft (late August '04 birthday). This is certainly a player with the ability to generate scoring chances for his team, and his high intelligence leads one to believe he can improve on some of his defensive warts. This makes him an interesting sleeper in my opinion, but I still fail to see ultimately how NHL teams would consider him with their first-round pick.

Lindgren possesses two elite tools, the foremost of which is his offensive awareness. He does not just see the ice in the offensive zone so much as he dissects it. He possesses the rare ability to anticipate passing, shooting and skating lanes two steps ahead of the play, and his offensive decision-making and execution are nothing shy of phenomenal. Lindgren's other elite tool is his puck-handling, he's got that magical puck-on-a-string ability which just can't be taught. Combined with his terrific edge-work and ability to quickly change direction, not a game goes by where he does not make a defender look silly as he turns them inside-out and just shimmies around them. He's slick, there's no doubt, and when he's on his game, the young Swede is fun to watch.

Lindgren's immense skating dexterity does not, however, translate to straight-line speed. He's not the fastest kid, which is even more of a detriment since his size is a bot below average for a defender at 6'0-175. His offensive abilities are hampered by this lack of explosiveness, especially in transition, where he is more often a passenger than a play-driver. Lindgren does not offer the three-zone offensive dangerousness of a Makar or Luke Hughes -- no, his offensive magic only begins once his team has settled into possession in the offensive zone. Lindgren's offensive upside is also tempered by the lack of much zip on his shot. I don't think he'll ever be a double-digit goal guy, and so many of his shots are blocked away that he loses many assists a better-shooting blue liner would get on rebounds and deflections.

Unlike many offense-first defensemen, I don't think Lindgren is a problem in his own zone, though he is far from a shut-down defender. He's good at the simple plays and the outlet pass. Physically, he competes but he's not very physical nor is he particularly effective in physical battles. Mentally, he keeps his feet moving and shows good instincts, but suffice to say his defensive awareness is not close to his offensive awareness.

Ultimately, I do not see Mats Lindgren as a first-round pick, but it's important to note that he has the upside as a mid-pairing, offense-first defenseman who does not suck in his own zone, making him a worthy pick in the late 2nd/3rd rounds despite some discernible risk. But I'd like to sum this up by mentioning the fact that Lindgren certainly has sleeper potential, as defenders with 40+ point upside at the NHL level do not exactly grow on trees -- especially when they have the capacity to defend decently.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Brandon Lisowsky, Saskatoon WHL (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
I've seen a bunch of Lisowsky, as he plays with one of my favorite prospects in Tristen Robins for the Blades. He's a fairly prototypical smaller forward, just 5'9-170 but with terrific skating and offensive capabilities. He's scored at a very impressive pace on a high-powered Saskatoon squad, with a 33-25-58 line in 68 games. He offers a nice effort level in all three zones, though of course he has a problem with being out-muscled in puck battles and needs a lot of overall work in the defensive zone.

Without being an elite skater, the native British Columbian is certainly an excellent one. He has all the features of the quick, small offensive forward -- agility, edges, acceleration. While his offensive tool kit is is pretty good across the board, he defies his own prototype in the sense that his best skill is his shooting. Lisowsky can wire the puck with a quick release and optimal accuracy, and I'd say the velocity he gets would be considered a plus trait for a player of much larger physical stature. His passing and puckhandling are both good, though not close to the elite levels one would normally want out of a smaller forward if they were to consider them early in the draft.

This probably explains his normal draft ranking, which is anywhere from the middle-3rd to the middle-4th round. He has the one "high anomaly" ranking of #34 overall from McKeen's Scouting, which is extremely high on his potential. To me, Brandon Lisowsky is a player whose upside is a middle six player who can chip in a nice offensive output and inject speed in the line-up, while his offense and shot could see him as a fixture on an NHL second PP unit. In order to reach this potential, Lisowsky simply needs to improve his core strength and general positioning, and these are very realistic goals. He's a nice player, though I would not consider him until probably the vicinity of the 4th round.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Jake Livanavage, Chicago USHL (STI Ranking #98, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
I have no idea what exactly Jake Livanavage is, which sometimes steers me away from a prospect. After all, in order to project a prospect's future, you kind of have to put the pieces of a players skills together in some semblance of context in order to say they're going to be... well, whatever. A mid-pairing offensive defenseman, or a physical checking center, or a speedy finesse scoring forward, or anything. Livanavage sort of defies everything to the point where sometimes I just have to throw my hands up in the air and just enjoy how good he is at hockey.

Livanavage is listed at 5'10-160, which makes him one of the wiriest defensemen in the entire USHL. Now, for those unfamiliar, the USHL is a pretty big and physical league which veers towards the defensive. Every so often a smaller D-man succeeds in the league by being the ultimate speed/finesse/offense guy and puts up a ton of points. Livanavage is not this player. He's actually one of the more physical and competitive D in the entire 2022 class. I've seen him lay out players who have literally 50 pounds on him, and when the victim looks up to see the number of the truck that hit them, they can scarcely believe it's the 160-pound Livanavage. I've also seen Livanavage incite physical contact with much bigger players and get literally chucked. But this kid really does not seem to care. He just likes to muck it up with anyone, as if just to see what's going to happen. His compete level and courage are off the charts, I don't know how else to put it.

These are abetted by his other elite tool, which is his brain. Livanavage has extraordinarily high end defensive awareness and his positioning and anticipation are both similarly high end. He has an active stick and active feet, and although -- like most amateur D -- he can be beaten by high speed and skill opponents -- he's always thinking and learning and it's really difficult to beat him the same way twice. This is a thin framed kid who might top out at 170 pounds but still be able to succeed in a defensive capacity at the NHL level. Defensively, he sometimes reminds me a bit of Andy Greene when Andy was playing at Miami University of Ohio. Not the biggest or fastest, but a guy who battled and won battles with his high compete and palpable intelligence. A guy who would consistently win the puck from players he probably shouldn't have, and then knew exactly what to do with the puck once he got it.

Again, Livanavage is not just this -- a smaller defensive defenseman. He's also a kid whom I feel has mid-pairing, 2PP upside at the highest levels. He's a strong skater, puck handler and efficient and wily passer who knows when to activate off the point to create offense. His transition game is strong and his outlet passing is smart and precise without a lot of stretch passing dazzle-dazzle. Livanavage's finest offensive tool -- again it's hard to believe he's 160 pounds -- is his shot, which I'd rank near the top of all LD in the 2022 draft. It's lightning-quick and shows good accuracy, and he shoots with the power of a much bigger kid. Some people just are strong for their size, and Livanavage is consistently impressive with displaying this is myriad aspects of the game. In 61 USHL games, Livanavage totaled 45 points, representing terrific numbers for a USHL defenseman who just turned 18 in May.

I feel Livanavage's lack of high end speed or size will cause him to drop in the draft, as the defensemen who get attention usually need to jump off the page in one of those two categories to garner attention in the first round, or even first three rounds. But Livanavage is an absolute steal in the 4th round or thereafter, because quite frankly he's a two-way physical defenseman whose two elite intangibles of heart and brains give him a higher floor than the physical attributes would seem to suggest. I don't see any reason why he cannot reach a ceiling of a mid-pairing, bleed-team-colors guy who puts up points and makes the life of opposing forwards pretty hellish in his own zone. Livanavage is a unique player who I will be rooting for actively at every step of his development, and I believe in his ability to be a very good NHL player.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Rieger Lorenz, Okotoks AJHL (STI Ranking #40, McKenzie #52)
And the winner of the 2022 award for top small-North American League mystery man is... Rieger Lorenz! With the size/skating combo which is coveted by NHL front offices, eye-popping stats and a raw but palpable skill set, Lorenz has shot his way up to a high 2nd round consensus ranking, and it's certainly possible that he shocks his way into the late 1st. In 60 AJHL games, Lorenz exploded for a 38-47-85 stat line and led his team in scoring by a whopping 26 points. He's a fixture on the 1st line, 1PP and 1PK and regularly logs the type of minutes per game seen only by bona fide 1D at any level. It's time to take notice.

The Calgary native is committed to a top-notch University of Denver program in the fall, and his decision to stay near home for one more year before moving onto the NCAA is his reasoning for playing in the AJHL instead of a higher league. Clearly, Lorenz is too good for his current competition. At 6'2-185 he can out-muscle most of the players trying to defend him, and he also shows some high-end hockey IQ and very good skating. Physically, he overmatches whomever he is matched up against. He's a crisp passer with creativity and vision, and he has a high-end shot with potential to play up even more if he cleans up his mechanics. His puckhandling admittedly needs some refinement, as sometimes his eyes get bigger than his stomach and he can fumble pucks while going for highlight-reel moves. He's best at puck protection when he's using his large frame and long reach to box defenders out, but he's better off shooting or passing from possession than trying to dangle around or through the opposition.

In a nutshell, this kid can pass and he can score, and though he's still very raw, but has all the physical capabilities to become a terrific middle 6 forward at the NHL level, and perhaps even more. His awareness is excellent, but sometimes suffers a bit from knowing how much better he is than his competition. This is the risk factor in assessing Lorenz, but it was also the risk factor in assessing Cale Makar. While I'm certainly not saying Lorenz has similar upside to Cale Makar, I am saying that players who are so far above their competition often get lazy in certain areas and it takes them a year or two at higher levels to straighten out. For example, Lorenz displays high compete in the offensive zone, but this dips in the defensive zone and costs him and his team. Could it just be boredom, like with a kid at a 6th grade math level having to sit through a 3rd grade math class? That's the million dollar question.

I feel a strong coaching and development team at the University of Denver will challenge Lorenz to be more than just a scorer with an adequate 200-foot game. If everything clicks with this kid, he can be quite a draft-day steal, especially if he slips into the mid-2nd round or later. The ability is there, it's just a matter of chipping away the coal to get to the potential diamond.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Yoan Loshing, Moncton QMJHL (STI Ranking: Not Ranked, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
I hate to call any player "prototypical" because all players are unique. But Yoan Loshing combines several of the top qualities commonly associated with a speedy and skilled undersized forward with several of the concerns which often plague them. His numbers have been pretty good, as he is tallied 42 points in 50 games as a 17 year old. But one can't help but think that his production would be more in tune with his outstanding skill set were he more willing to pay a price in and play with greater overall compete.

As you'd wish for from a smaller, offensive-oriented forward, Loshing is an explosive skater. He accelerates quickly, stops on dimes, and his shifty and agile in all directions. When combined with his outstanding puck control, Loshing can maneuver the puck through tight areas and make something out of nothing with regularity. His speed and offensive awareness also make him deadly in transition, and he is quite impressive at offensive zone entries. Once in the offensive zone, Loshing is a very good passer and an even better shooter, with a quick and economical release which also commands deadly accuracy. This is an exciting offensive player who can score to a degree which might give him the upside of a second-line point-producing forward at the NHL level.

Then we must ask, why is his consensus ranking not even in the top 100? Well, Loshing is not a small guy who is willing to pay the price down low and near the opposing net. He shies away from physicality at all costs. He eagerly gives up on loose pucks when physical defenders from the opposition are present, and it only takes the slightest contact while he possesses the puck to send him hurtling to the ice. Loshing draws a tremendous amount of penalties this way, but when the penalties are not called it often just leads to an exchange of possession and an odd-man rush in the opposite direction.

Loshing is tough to pin down for the draft. On one hand, he could fall to the bottom rounds and be the player with the most offensive upside when you're picking in the 5th or 6th rounds. On the other hand, he is the very definition of a perimeter forward and a whole lot will have to change in his compete level if he is going to come even close to achieving his ceiling. Because, make no mistake -- if this kid learns to pay the price and play with more gumption, he has 25+ goal upside at the NHL level. But if he continues along a similar path, he'll probably being scoring his goals in a less physical European league.

I like the high upside kids in the 6th/7th rounds. Everyone wants to catch lightning in a bottle, and I might take a flyer on him very late in a draft. But I'm not sticking my neck out too early for a player with compete/courage problems.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Cruz Lucius, US-NTDP (STI Ranking #91, McKenzie #85)
Cruz Lucius is the younger brother of Chaz, who was a first round pick by the Winnipeg Jets at #18 overall just last year. As such, he's likely to be compared incessantly to his older brother, but it is important to state right off the bat that they are very different players. Cruz is not only a rawer project than Chaz in their draft year, but he lacks some of the borderline elite skills which saw Chaz ranked in many 2021 top 12 lists. That being said, Cruz Lucius is also a very talented young man with some impressive offensive capabilities which make him a very interesting candidate for a mid-round selection in the 2022 NHL Draft.

Cruz has decent size, listed perhaps a tad generously at 6'0-175, and I would call him an average skater. It's certainly the foremost aspect of his game the young Minnesotan needs to work on, along with his play without the puck. Nothing Cruz does is necessarily problematic or *bad*, but he can get static in the defensive zone waiting for teammates to control the puck before he activates, making it seem as if he has heavy feet. This is similar to transition, where Cruz tends to be more of a passenger than an initiator. Though these areas of necessary improvement take Cruz out of first round consideration, it is important that we realize the upside he has as a complimentary winger to talented linemates. Because once his team controls the puck in the offensive zone, that's where Cruz Lucius really shines.

Cruz Lucius is a fantastic shooter and passer. Once he gets control of the puck in the offensive zone, he needs barely any space or time to use quick dekes to create shooting or passing lanes. He is clearly a player of high offensive awareness. His passing is both creative and precise even though it's normally his second option, as I would call Cruz a shoot-first player. His shot is his finest attribute -- this kid can wire the puck, and he needs barely any time to get a heavy, accurate shot off. You take him with all his areas of uncertainty and high-projection because he is one of the rare players available in the 3rd/4rth rounds who can beat a goaltender clean from outside the circles, and he's also a player who can both create and sustain offense even when he is pressured to the degree that a shot is not available to him.

Cruz Lucius is the mid-round pick for whom you weigh risk vs. reward. His problematic areas outside the offensive zone lead one to believe that, if he does not improve in these respects, he's likely going to be an AHL player, although one who could put up a ton of points in that league. But if he improves and develops, you're looking at a 2nd liner who can put up some formidable scoring numbers at the NHL Level. From a Devils standpoint, I would compare him in theory -- though not stylistically -- to a prospect they already have in Graeme Clarke. This is to say he's a highly skilled potential offensive weapon but a complimentary one, and his areas of improvement are skating and 200-foot play.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C Paul Ludwinski, Kingston OHL (STI Ranking #106, McKenzie #60)
Ludwinski has gotten a lot of attention leading up to the 2022 draft, playing a valuable role for a high-profile Frontenacs squad which features the favorite for first overall in the draft in Shane Wright. Essentially, this is a kid everyone has gotten a good look at, and he's also a player who looks good. Ludwinski is a strong skater and playmaker who plays with a high compete level and terrific attention to two-way responsibility. He's generally ranked all over the 2nd round with a couple of 3rd round rankings and one anomalous 1st round spot from Elite Prospects (#31 overall).

Ludwinski undoubtedly possesses several of the elements which would project him to a regular role on an NHL bottom 6, but can he up the offense to be considered a middle 6 center candidate down the line? I think that's the question which creates the discrepancy between his 1st and 3rd round rankings. His production in the OHL has not exactly been eye-popping, with just 43 points in 67 games. His shot needs a great deal of work and I have some concerns about his hands. Ludwinski can fumble the puck away when trying to deke and has some difficulty receiving hard passes, which has to create concerns about his scoring line potential.

However, his strengths are also notable. I cannot stress enough that this is a high-compete player who battles so hard in all areas of the ice that he can sometimes be guilty of biting off more than he can chew. Often, I'd rather see him try and bait defenders into making a mistake than nose-diving into a corner, where the 5'11-170 Ontario-native can often be pretty easily erased. I think the weight room will certainly up his overall game, since he is so tenacious in his general mindset. And it's also important not just to think of Ludwinski as a heart-and-soul guy, because he is a precision passer and playmaker with a very high offensive awareness.

This is certainly a guy to circle on draft day, I just wonder if I'd pick him as high as other draftniks would have him ranked. I find Ludwinski-like players are routinely available in the later rounds of drafts, and I have some difficulty justifying him in the #30-#45 range where I've seen him several times. Though I'm not ruling out his 2nd line upside and I certainly feel he has a high floor as a bottom-6 NHLer, I just don't see the offensive tool-kit as dynamic enough to justify a pick until the middle rounds. But again, this is a very good prospect and a kid who will be loved by his future NHL teammates and coaches.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Prospect Profile:

RW Cameron Lund, Green Bay USHL (STI Ranking #89, McKenzie #43)
When researching likely second round pick Ryan Greene on the Green Bay Gamblers, I actually came across a player I have even higher hopes for. This is sort of a rare thing for me. Cameron Lund doesn't really have any rankings anywhere in the top two rounds, and although he's very raw, he shows some very intriguing skills and his combination of size (6'2-180), great skating and some interesting skills make me believe he can be the prototypical extremely raw prospect who could look like a steal after 4 years in the NCAA. Lund is committed to a strong Northeastern program for the fall.

The Massachusetts native has a nice compete level and pretty good awareness, but his inconsistency lies in the need to strengthen his fundamental hockey skills. He is capable of completing a nice, high-vision pass through skates on one shift, then passing a blatant "how did he not see him" turnover on the next play. He can stickhandle around a defender in highlight reel fashion, then fumble the puck for no reason before he gets a shot on net. His shot is excellent but the mechanics can be cleaned up. His defensive awareness seems good, but he can get lost in coverage and puck-chase.

Lund plays on the Green Bay top line with Ryan Greene and one of my past draft sleepers, Jackson Hallum. When this trio is on their game, they are impossible to stop for USHL defenses -- it's just three kids with terrific combinations of size and skating who are all pretty skilled to boot. Greene will be a likely 2nd round pick in 2022, while Hallum was a 3rd round pick by Vegas in 2020. I'm a bit surprised I have yet to see Lund ranked by anyone as even a second round pick, as the athleticism is clearly there and it's just a matter of growing and refining his abilities.

I definitely take a hard look at Lund from the third round on and I think he's something a steal if he's there in the 4th. Combinations of this type of size, skating, athleticism and natural instinct are tough to find in the later rounds, and Lund is the type of player who could have a ceiling as a second line scorer at the NHL level if you're patient and precise in his development.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Tristan Luneau, Gatineau QMJHL (STI Ranking #30, McKenzie #32)
Here we have a very nice player, a RD with good skills across the board, good size at 6'1-180, a good head on his shoulders and no glaring weaknesses. Luneau is routinely ranked in the 20s for the 2022 draft because of his high floor as a solid third-pairing NHLer, although the hope would of course be for him to develop into an all-situations second pairing rearguard. However, the lack of any explosive elements in his game keeps him out of the conversation for the first half of the draft. Anyway you look at it, he's very good and safe, and therefore a good pick for any team if not the most exciting pick.

Although "explosive" and "offensive" are often mistakenly confused for the same thing, in Luneau's case they are not. He is a smart and capable puck handler both in tight spaces and in transition, where his high intelligence really shines. He enjoys leading the rush himself, and he has always calculated various pass options if the other team is pressuring him on the puck. I'd say Luneau's high understanding and awareness are his finest assets, he's one of those kids who always seems to be making the right decisions, if not a player of extreme creativity or flash. He's a very adept passer and has a good shot from the point. I'd say his offensive potential is good, although we need to temper it a bit because his lack of foot speed tempers his ability to pinch and rush in deep to the offensive zone. While by no means a poor skater, I'd say he's not too much above an average one.

Defensively, Luneau again offers smarts and steadiness without any weaknesses. While not a physical player in terms of aggression, Luneau is very adept at the subtle physical aspects of his position, using heady shoulder checks to body forwards off the puck and able to engage to win physical battles along the boards and in the crease. Once he attains the puck, Luneau's biggest strength emerges, which is that he always knows precisely what to do with it. His on-ice awareness is something I would grade as excellent. Luneau's compete level is similarly enjoyable, he shows a willingness to block shots and get his hands dirty to protect his goalie. While not a smothering shut-down D, there is no reason to think that Luneau won't be a very solid defender at any level. This kid is just a hockey player.

Tristan Luneau is by no means an exiting pick, but he's a good one anywhere in the #20-#35 range. I want to stress again that this is not a plodding stay-at-home guy, he's got 35-45 point potential. He's just not flashy about it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad