Pre-Game Talk: Devils game 5 (Game is Thursday 4/27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Some fans are ready for this. Ready to win and ready to go down with the team either which way.

Some fans are soft. So scared to lose that they spend the whole year, year after year, building up "the team just didn't try" as a ready excuse, and they never really have to face the idea that another team was just better.

This is the time in a series where we find out who's who, just like we found out last year when the team lost game 4 7-2, started game 5 down 2-0, and didn't flinch, even though a lot of people here shit their pants.
I'd actually rather them be less good and try harder than the other way around.
That being said, if you watched game 4 and thought, "yeah they really gave it their best, they just aren't good enough" you are in the VAST minority. That was a SHIT effort. And they were STILL good enough to win that game, Laf's deflection goes in instead of hail mary'd for Hughes' breakaway, we are probably up 3-1 in this series right now.
NYR were plenty fast enough in Games 1 & 2.
The will to win should not be underestimated.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd actually rather them be less good and try harder than the other way around.
That being said, if you watched game 4 and thought, "yeah they really gave it their best, they just aren't good enough" you are in the VAST minority. That was a SHIT effort. And they were STILL good enough to win that game, Laf's deflection goes in instead of hail mary'd for Hughes' breakaway, we are probably up 3-1 in this series right now.
NYR were plenty fast enough in Games 1 & 2.
The will to win should not be underestimated.
"They gave their best but their best wasn't good enough" has never happened. Every loss is because of effort. I've been reading it since 2011.

It's a cult.

Questioning the complete level in a singular game doesn't lump one in with that but there's a very large group of posters for whom it's an agenda that they revel in complaining about every chance they get, just like the posters who do that with the coach, the posters who do that with whoever the best player is, the posters who used to do that with fighting before they lost that battle, and the poster who does it with Kravtsov.

Except all of those are less annoying.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Yeah, exactly.

The "no killer instinct" and "no effort" crowd just wanted to go up 3-0 or 3-1 because they want it to be easy.

It's not. Sorry.

Don't accuse the Rangers of succumbing to the pressure if you can't handle a series that goes more than 5.
There is a difference. I’ve ridden with this team as long as I’ve been alive, but watching an obvious lack of effort like game 4 is open for ridicule.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Let's see if Caveman idea number 2 getting Trouba off pp #2 happens but I doubt it. Kind of a shame to have a weapon like Tarasenko on the 2nd unit with no one to get him the puck from the point.
Fox should be playing both units honeslty.

Everyone wants K'Andre on PP2 but Key has been handling the puck like a grenade lately and honestly all of the PP reps he's gotten he never really looks comfortable or like he knows what he's doing.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
"They gave their best but their best wasn't good enough" has never happened. Every loss is because of effort. I've been reading it since 2011.

It's a cult.

Questioning the complete level in a singular game doesn't lump one in with that but there's a very large group of posters for whom it's an agenda that they revel in complaining about every chance they get, just like the posters who do that with the coach, the posters who do that with whoever the best player is, the posters who used to do that with fighting before they lost that battle, and the poster who does it with Kravtsov.

Ah, I get what you are saying. Hey last year I fully believed they just weren't good enough. I think they got by Carolina because of will to win, despite being the slightly less good team. If NJ just outplays them, I have no problem saying so, but if they show up like Game 4 they aren't getting beaten at their best.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

It's a cult.

A team can lose a single game on the basis of effort.

I don't think teams lose a whole series from lack of trying. At least I can't say I've seen the Rangers lose a playoff series due to lack of effort.

Game 4 was a dogshit effort though. Both things can be true.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ah, I get what you are saying. Hey last year I fully believed they just weren't good enough. I think they got by Carolina because of will to win, despite being the slightly less good team. If NJ just outplays them, I have no problem saying so, but if they show up like Game 4 they aren't getting beaten at their best.
I also feel that if it is a single game, those things happen. The series ebbs and flows and some nights you don't have it. If they no compete level, they wouldn't be in the series.

Reactions: bhamill

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
"In a seven-game series, win the first two games but allow the opponent to win the next two games to instill overconfidence. Then attack the opponent when they perceive themselves as being at their strongest. Encourage your fans to criticize your perceived lack of killer instinct, for when you defeat your opponent, they will realize their error of ways and shower glory upon you twice as adamant." --Sun Tzu, Art of Hockey

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019

It's a cult.

I don’t agree effort isn’t a variable. You don’t like it because you can’t quantify it. But there are qualitative variables that do impact the game.

Maybe you hear it more than you like to but last game they definitely thought they had the series won. What else explains the lack of going to the net and being perimeter players? Gallant even says he tells them to go to the net so it isn’t on coaching to make them grow a set of balls

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t agree effort isn’t a variable. You don’t like it because you can’t quantify it. But there are qualitative variables that do impact the game.

Maybe you hear it more than you like to but last game they definitely thought they had the series won. What else explains the lack of going to the net and being perimeter players? Gallant even says he tells them to go to the net so it isn’t on coaching to make them grow a set of balls
I don't like it because it's a personal attack on my team.

Reactions: TominNC

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I think the effort and caring discussion people are just kind of talking past each other. Every player on this team cares and wants to win and tries to play their best every night and they are pushing themselves every night. I have zero doubts with this group's desire and will to win.

The issue more to me is lack of execution and slipping focus. If you're not dialed in and laser focused on executing the game plan and being crisp and quick and efficient then you're going to look like a team chasing all night. Loss of focus is NOT a caring issue. There are many things that can bring it on: fatigue, travel, outside pressures, outside life influences, internal pressure, mental pressure put on themselves.

The good news is that the majority of this team was here last year and last year's team came back from down 3-1 in round 1 and then down 2-0 and 3-2 in round 2. They know how to be in a situation where everything is stacked against you and you need to be at your best so I'm hopeful game 5 will be our best thus far.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think the effort and caring discussion people are just kind of talking past each other. Every player on this team cares and wants to win and tries to play their best every night and they are pushing themselves every night. I have zero doubts with this group's desire and will to win.

The issue more to me is lack of execution and slipping focus. If you're not dialed in and laser focused on executing the game plan and being crisp and quick and efficient then you're going to look like a team chasing all night. Loss of focus is NOT a caring issue. There are many things that can bring it on: fatigue, travel, outside pressures, outside life influences, internal pressure, mental pressure put on themselves.

The good news is that the majority of this team was here last year and last year's team came back from down 3-1 in round 1 and then down 2-0 and 3-2 in round 2. They know how to be in a situation where everything is stacked against you and you need to be at your best so I'm hopeful game 5 will be our best thus far.
Yep, 100%.

Mika and Kreids crying after losing to Tampa shows you all you need to know about "caring".

How things appear on the tv screen seldom ever tells the whole story. Its one game. Give me a break. You dont become an NHL player because you are lazy. The level of play is absurd and the dedication you need to remain in the league and improve is a daily regiment.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

25E6570C-0E0E-4DB9-8F3B-F864E267EBCA.gif

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I had the runs. I'm feeling better now, but I blame my runs on lack of effort and killer instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad