Confirmed with Link: Devils (Finally) give Joe Whitney an NHL Contract

NC107*

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting out of him at the NHL level. Gionta was the rare AHL callup we made and he's just a solid 4th liner when given the right linemates. Whitney isn't going to be scoring goals for us.

I don't think Steven Gionta is a SOLID 4th liner with or without the right line mates.

But the signing of Whitney by Lou to a NHL contract says Lou thinks we are cup contenders. I don't agree however.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still don't get the hate for Gio. On pace for about 25 points in a full season which is fantastic for a 4th liner. Can play on the PK (Although not great at times) and chip in sometimes offensively. He's a horrible center, but this is Deboer's insistence that righties stay or right, and lefties stay on left which he makes pretty much mandatory (I don't agree with this and feel it sometimes handcuffs us) Gio and Bernier are both righties so if Carter played center he would have to put a righty on left wing.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Good god guys, could we quit some drama ? Withney gets rewarded because he had a terrific AHL season. He's worth a try, that's all. A low risk move doesn't mean Lou is status quo already.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Good god guys, could we quit some drama ? Withney gets rewarded because he had a terrific AHL season. He's worth a try, that's all. A low risk move doesn't mean Lou is status quo already.

No one said we're making a bad move by handing this kid a contract. I do however think it's going a little overboard for some to say that he'll crack our lineup next year.

I know some of you are excited, but seriously, let's just take one step at a time... please.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Gionta is a fine 4th line winger. its when hes asked to play on the 3rd line, kill penalties, or take faceoffs when he runs into a problem.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gionta is a fine 4th line winger. its when hes asked to play on the 3rd line, kill penalties, or take faceoffs when he runs into a problem.

Okay agreed. Though I think sometimes he's good on the PK. He's hit or miss there.

Awful on faceoffs, and doesn't belong in the 3rd line.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
hes terrible defensively. the only reason he is deemed "Good" on the PK is because of his speed and the ability to potentially get odd man rushes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
hes terrible defensively. the only reason he is deemed "Good" on the PK is because of his speed and the ability to potentially get odd man rushes.

I thought he was very good on the PK early in the season before it started to suck.

Pete plays him on it way too much though. He also insists that he kill 6 on 5's late in games too.:shakehead

It's especially bad when he has to take faceoffs on the PK too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Scary only because I get the feeling that that maybe the "Solution" for next season.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Well deserved. He could've and should've been a callup this past season when we couldn't generate any offense. Might not have made huge difference, but we'll never know.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yup Whitney has put up better number than Gionta was in the AHL, and better than Tedenby. He better get a chance to make the team unlike Tedenby for the countless times.

So this is a TWO WAY contract right? The ''NHL contract'' has me thrown off. I'm assuming it's a two way contract, and not a one way NHL contract.

TG says it's a two-way deal (and for two years), so does Capgeek.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/2489

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Attachments

• cupcake-dog-gif.gif
    cupcake-dog-gif.gif
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 9

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm not sure what you guys are expecting out of him at the NHL level. Gionta was the rare AHL callup we made and he's just a solid 4th liner when given the right linemates. Whitney isn't going to be scoring goals for us.

You know this? Don't **** on people's hopes for a player when you have no idea whats gonna happen either. Lets see him play in a devils uni first.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Showed some good things in Albany, had a great season, so I'm happy he got rewarded. Will he help at the NHL level? We don't know yet, but I'm staying optimistic.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I don't think Steven Gionta is a SOLID 4th liner with or without the right line mates.

But the signing of Whitney by Lou to a NHL contract says Lou thinks we are cup contenders. I don't agree however.

elaborate. because hes pretty much shown hes exactly that, a solid option on the 4th line, and if emergency calls for it, a pk'er. hes the least of the this teams troubles. and whitney, meh. hes the next butler. by midseason, when were not eating eachother, he will draw our ire. unless boo is playing....in that case he will. unless kovys not scoring on the pp. or unless the pp isnt scoring at all. or unless clarkson isnt scoring at all. or unless hedbergs aids has evolved into robot aids and re-infects the team. or unless clarkson continues to be the pivot on the pp for no good reason. or zids cant hit the net. or lou is a ****ing buffoon. unless travtrav forgot how to play hockey. or unless martys age FINALLY catches up to him in magnificently horrible fashion. or unless volch isnt amnestied. or unless tally isnt traded. or unless henrique turns into michael york. or unless yayo has 10 points by the new year, and theyre all assists. or unless patty misses another glorious chance and does the normal stare at the ceiling/curse in czech. or unless shaw is wearing a cool tie. aliens? or unless stevens shows us exactly what hes doing behind the bench. or deebo actually shows what hes doing behind the bench. or unless genius lou signs another goon. or unless we still have all our other goons. or unless dags is finally the replacement for parise. or unless we completely **** the bed at the draft, and we will, and we have enough to talk about, or unless my food is getting cold and im getting bored with this and u guys can take over.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
elaborate. because hes pretty much shown hes exactly that, a solid option on the 4th line, and if emergency calls for it, a pk'er. hes the least of the this teams troubles. and whitney, meh. hes the next butler. by midseason, when were not eating eachother, he will draw our ire. unless boo is playing....in that case he will. unless kovys not scoring on the pp. or unless the pp isnt scoring at all. or unless clarkson isnt scoring at all. or unless hedbergs aids has evolved into robot aids and re-infects the team. or unless clarkson continues to be the pivot on the pp for no good reason. or zids cant hit the net. or lou is a ****ing buffoon. unless travtrav forgot how to play hockey. or unless martys age FINALLY catches up to him in magnificently horrible fashion. or unless volch isnt amnestied. or unless tally isnt traded. or unless henrique turns into michael york. or unless yayo has 10 points by the new year, and theyre all assists. or unless patty misses another glorious chance and does the normal stare at the ceiling/curse in czech. or unless shaw is wearing a cool tie. aliens? or unless stevens shows us exactly what hes doing behind the bench. or deebo actually shows what hes doing behind the bench. or unless genius lou signs another goon. or unless we still have all our other goons. or unless dags is finally the replacement for parise. or unless we completely **** the bed at the draft, and we will, and we have enough to talk about, or unless my food is getting cold and im getting bored with this and u guys can take over.

Wow! This is why you're my favorite poster on here.:handclap::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad