Confirmed with Link: Devils (Finally) give Joe Whitney an NHL Contract

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
cup.jpg

In all seriousness, congrats to the guy. Earned it after putting up decent numbers in the AHL. We'll see if he can crack the roster.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
finally. bout time. Give him a cup of coffee sometime and see what he can do at the NHL level.

Hopefully the first of several signings from lou

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
so this is lou's plan for the offseason. god help us

in all sincerity, good for him. lets see what he can do

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He's undersized but can put the puck in the net. Bet he will get a shot at the big club next year. Will be interesting to see if he can compete at the NHL level.

apice3*

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting out of him at the NHL level. Gionta was the rare AHL callup we made and he's just a solid 4th liner when given the right linemates. Whitney isn't going to be scoring goals for us.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
I'm not sure what you guys are expecting out of him at the NHL level. Gionta was the rare AHL callup we made and he's just a solid 4th liner when given the right linemates. Whitney isn't going to be scoring goals for us.

Well he can't be worse than Barch/Kostopolous/Janssen/Vrana/Pikkarinin/Murphy can he?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Gionta wasn't even putting up Whitney's numbers in the AHL. Neither has Tedenby for that matter. So long as he's a secondary option no issue, but if we're penciling him into the top six the way we did with Butler/Teddy then we got problems.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
As to avoid all confusion, I'll say that's a well earned contract and I wish him best luck with the big boys.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
ABout time.

Whitney's numbers in the AHL this year were very, very good.

Had 26 goals in 66 games, which is good for 32 over a full season. Averaged over three shots per game.

I think he'll get a decent shot at cracking the Devils roster next year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gionta wasn't even putting up Whitney's numbers in the AHL. Neither has Tedenby for that matter. So long as he's a secondary option no issue, but if we're penciling him into the top six the way we did with Butler/Teddy then we got problems.

Yup Whitney has put up better number than Gionta was in the AHL, and better than Tedenby. He better get a chance to make the team unlike Tedenby for the countless times.

So this is a TWO WAY contract right? The ''NHL contract'' has me thrown off. I'm assuming it's a two way contract, and not a one way NHL contract.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

ABout time.

Whitney's numbers in the AHL this year were very, very good.

Had 26 goals in 66 games, which is good for 32 over a full season. Averaged over three shots per game.

I think he'll get a decent shot at cracking the Devils roster next year.

So the kid goes to having no NHL contract, to having a solid year, to having a shot at cracking our roster next year?

If that's the case, we'll be packing in a lottery pick, that's for sure. Like Apice said, I hope we aren't counting on Whitney to contribute offensively at the NHL level.

I'm glad we signed him to a NHL contract, but let's not get carried away here.

Status Quo*

We do not speak ill of Ilkka pikkarainen, I was in attendance for one of his four career NHL points.

What....a....night!

I have a friend who was so stoked Pikkarainen got called up and thought he was going to provide big things. I laughed at him.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Good for him I guess.

Not sure why so many people were obsessed over giving him an NHL deal, doubt he can do anything but hey I'd be glad if he proved me wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad