Confirmed with Link: Devils (Finally) give Joe Whitney an NHL Contract

apice3*

You know this? Don't **** on people's hopes for a player when you have no idea whats gonna happen either. Lets see him play in a devils uni first.

I can not wait for 40 goal scoring, Hart Trophy winning Joe Whitney to play next season.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I can not wait for 40 goal scoring, Hart Trophy winning Joe Whitney to play next season.

No-ones saying hes gonna be an earth-shattering player, but its good that he finally got a contract and hes an option. I dont think anyone really expects him to be playing top line minutes etc

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No-ones saying hes gonna be an earth-shattering player, but its good that he finally got a contract and hes an option. I dont think anyone really expects him to be playing top line minutes etc
He is a lefty, so I wouldn't be surprised if 1st line left winger is in his future.:help:

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

thats all well and good, but we need goal scoring. lots of it. we have enough ****ing lunchpail meatballs. hey, i hope he works out though. its good to have talented people push out the dregs, but its shuffling deck chairs on the titanic unless brainpower lou addresses the most pressing need. which was the same earlier when parise left. or when we started with 90 defensemen. oh **** this all.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
thats all well and good, but we need goal scoring. lots of it.

no arguments here. ive made my feelings on the Devils offense plenty clear before. too much dumping, too much over-passing and too much Kovy rushing into the zone, putting the brakes on and waiting for the cavalry to arrive. watching teams with great offensive record this year has been painful because they just play so much more confidently than we did

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Not gonna lie, every time I hear the phrase "not a lot of size but can put the puck in the net", I automatically think of Tedenby so hopefully whenever this dude gets a cup of coffee he doesn't remind of me him. Not trying to crap on this guy but if he's a fixture in our top 9 for any lengthy period of time next year then were probably forfeiting a lottery pick. Doesn't mean he cant be a decent player but I'd temper expectations here since most of our offensive prospects aren't exactly world beaters.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

40 goals? More like 60. I never said anything about him being a dominant offensive force, but you don't know how he'll do so don't be so matter of fact about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
elaborate. because hes pretty much shown hes exactly that, a solid option on the 4th line, and if emergency calls for it, a pk'er. hes the least of the this teams troubles. and whitney, meh. hes the next butler. by midseason, when were not eating eachother, he will draw our ire. unless boo is playing....in that case he will. unless kovys not scoring on the pp. or unless the pp isnt scoring at all. or unless clarkson isnt scoring at all. or unless hedbergs aids has evolved into robot aids and re-infects the team. or unless clarkson continues to be the pivot on the pp for no good reason. or zids cant hit the net. or lou is a ****ing buffoon. unless travtrav forgot how to play hockey. or unless martys age FINALLY catches up to him in magnificently horrible fashion. or unless volch isnt amnestied. or unless tally isnt traded. or unless henrique turns into michael york. or unless yayo has 10 points by the new year, and theyre all assists. or unless patty misses another glorious chance and does the normal stare at the ceiling/curse in czech. or unless shaw is wearing a cool tie. aliens? or unless stevens shows us exactly what hes doing behind the bench. or deebo actually shows what hes doing behind the bench. or unless genius lou signs another goon. or unless we still have all our other goons. or unless dags is finally the replacement for parise. or unless we completely **** the bed at the draft, and we will, and we have enough to talk about, or unless my food is getting cold and im getting bored with this and u guys can take over.

Literal masterpiece.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I just figured he was being somewhat sarcastic (i.e. signing Whitney means that's going to be our only move because we have such a strong team).

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Good for Whitney. He deserves a shot after all the dreck we've been cycling in and out of our roster for the last year.

You also need to keep pushing the guys that fit on your lower lines with hungrier players. I'm not suggesting that guys like Carter, Bernier, Gionta will become complacent, but they may need to be cycled around or even in/out of the lineup at times, and bringing in fresh blood doesn't hurt year to year.

I killed Gionta most of the season (and rightfully so at times), but the funny thing was he actually was one of the better players towards the end of the year because Deboer finally came to his senses and realized that Gionta was a 4th liner, not a jack of all trades 15 minute a night forward. I still don't "love" him all that much and and I expect he probably won't be on the team beyond say another year or so once the fascination with him finally wears off.

However, he should not be on the PK in critical situations and he's pretty bad defensively up the middle. He needs to be left as a winger and used aggressively on the forecheck. Deboer really wasn't doing him any favors for a good part of the year either.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Stanley-Cup.jpg

per flowchart procedures

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yea if he ends up playing any type of significant minutes next year then were pretty much boned and that means Lou went cheap again this summer to replace our UFA's which makes me physically ill just thinking about that. People just like to get excited over their new shiny toy. In this particular case if would be a toy from the salvation army.

God Brad Mills was terrible. He summed up the Maclean era quite well. The **** was he doing getting minutes on that team?

Deboer was also giving Mills minutes too.:shakehead

I think he actually scored a goal under Maclean, and it was against Chicago.:laugh:

I hope this isn't the new 1st line LW either, but with Pete's prerequisite that lefties play on left, and righties play on right, we've seen some weird 1st line LW's this season. Including Ponikarovsky, Matteau, and Tedenby all getting time in that spot.:help: Hate that Pete insists this, and that's why we won't see a Kovy move back to LW because he handcuffs righties on right, and lefties on left which I don't understand why it needs to be mandatory.

Well if this is the solution it saves Lou a trip to this place.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Deboer was also giving Mills minutes too.:shakehead

I think he actually scored a goal under Maclean, and it was against Chicago.:laugh:

I hope this isn't the new 1st line LW either, but with Pete's prerequisite that lefties play on left, and righties play on right, we've seen some weird 1st line LW's this season. Including Ponikarovsky, Matteau, and Tedenby all getting time in that spot.:help: Hate that Pete insists this, and that's why we won't see a Kovy move back to LW because he handcuffs righties on right, and lefties on left which I don't understand why it needs to be mandatory.

Well if this is the solution it saves Lou a trip to this place.

Yea he scored some wacky goal on Marty Turco. He like banked it in off his ass from behind the net or something.

I really doubt this guy is part of the solution to change things up this summer but if he is... then god have mercy on our souls. Goodbye lottery pick, hello embarrassmentville. Population: Us.

Ugh, just thinking about Lou going shopping at Dollar General/Marshalls/TJ Maxxx in a few months makes me sad. This is NOT the summer to do that. Too much is at steak next year we have some pretty big questions about the future of the team. So yea get legit top 6 help please and thank you.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
It's just a two-way deal. I'd give the guy a shot at the bigs. Why not? Maybe his game will translate well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yea he scored some wacky goal on Marty Turco. He like banked it in off his ass from behind the net or something.

I really doubt this guy is part of the solution to change things up this summer but if he is... then god have mercy on our souls. Goodbye lottery pick, hello embarrassmentville. Population: Us.

Ugh, just thinking about Lou going shopping at Dollar General/Marshalls/TJ Maxxx in a few months makes me sad. This is NOT the summer to do that. Too much is at steak next year we have some pretty big questions about the future of the team. So yea get legit top 6 help please and thank you.

Lou has to know if he doesn't get a little help that we're forfeiting a top ten pick next year. Need some insurance in case Kovy or another one of the top 12 forwards go down.

If Kovy doesn't get injured maybe we win a couple of those games, but the truth is that we sucked before Kovy got injured. We just weren't getting shutout. We only got shutout once with him in the lineup, and it was on the last day of the season. We got shutout 3 times in the 11 games he was out which is a huge problem.

If we get a good enough draft pick forward to slot in then I'm all for that also. However though we have to be prepared for Pistol Pete to scratch them, play them on the 4th line, or bench them after 10 minutes of play which would then make them mostly a non factor/non contributor.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It's just a two-way deal. I'd give the guy a shot at the bigs. Why not? Maybe his game will translate well.

oh so youre saying he is going to win the hart trophy? score 95 goals a season?! battle thor underwater equipped with a battle axe?? god this place is so crazy sometimes you all have ridiculous expectations IM SO MUCH SMARTER ARRRHGHHGHGHGH

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
oh so youre saying he is going to win the hart trophy? score 95 goals a season?! battle thor underwater equipped with a battle axe?? god this place is so crazy sometimes you all have ridiculous expectations IM SO MUCH SMARTER ARRRHGHHGHGHGH

95 goals? Gretzkys best season was 92 goals..... Whitney will clearly do way better that that scrub stat

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly think it's just a move so we could call up Whitney if need be. So we don't have to call up frickin Sestito all the time.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
That is not even close to what I'm saying.

He's going to use a harpoon. Not a battle axe. Some people, I swear...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad