Post-Game Talk: Devils fall to the Sabres 5-3 (We lost to this f'n team..AGAIN?!?!)

*Your* stars of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Seems the penalty/no penalty debate is getting far more attention than it merits (given the Devils' power play and the way the game was trending was there anything to suggest they would have scored?).

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Seems the penalty/no penalty debate is getting far more attention than it merits (given the Devils' power play and the way the game was trending was there anything to suggest they would have scored?).
Here's the thing I don't care if the PP is dog shit or incredible I want penalties to be called when they are deserved. Cross checking gets called maybe once a game if a guys back is to the boards and its almost always a boarding anyway. High-sticking just seems like a dice roll, not talking about the Kuokkanen incident, you have guys get hit bleed and nothing while others don't get touched at all and get called. Interference happens literally every dump in and rush yet they just decide to randomly call it on one of the times it happens and it almost never has impact on the game. Hooking/holding sometimes a guy will be bear hugged for like 10 seconds and nothing, stick gets near a guys hands its suppose to be a call, yet its never consistent. The team and player also have way to massive of an impact on how the game gets called. This isn't a cry for more PP for the Devils, I just want the game to be consistently officiated across the league and not based on who is wear stripes. Playoff officiating vs regular season officiating shouldn't be a thing.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Very frustrating watching these other teams score all these goals, have these point per game players.

And we can't finish chances and get pucks into the net. It's getting harder and harder to watch these games lol

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
That's some set of balls to create a poll.

This team absolutely blows and I'm tired of watching "the kids" and hoping they come in to their own.

I fear we're in Buffalo and Arizona territory.

Reactions: mdj12784

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
As long as we keep turning pucks over in our zone and not getting even the easiest pucks out we are not going to be successful. It is just too easy for the opposition. Smith passes it into the middle instead of just along the boards, Severson passes it nicely into the slot in front of Wedgewood, Subban loses the puck behind the goal... turnover after turnover. That is what kills us again and again. That and simply sucking at scoring goals.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's some set of balls to create a poll.

This team absolutely blows and I'm tired of watching "the kids" and hoping they come in to their own.

I fear we're in Buffalo and Arizona territory.

Not even close. Our young players look more promising and we also aren't capped out like both those teams.

The "we are Buffalo and Arizona" complaint is as lazy as it gets at this point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really don't get losing your minds over this one.

They played better overall. Put 4 in the net, with one unfortunately not counting. Couple of mistakes and Wedge being meh bit them.

Special teams remains a problem, but everyone should have long settled in there isn't a good way to fix it during the season this year with thr schedule. Neither will be this bad next year.

I guess everyone is hung up on it being Buffalo, but it's the NHL, anyone can bear anyone else, especially with this wonky year and schedule. They just beat the Rangers and Flyers in the last week. Should they be equally as mortified, or is it just us because we are overly dramatic?

Season is cooked. It's about the young guys showing promise, which they are.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Embarrassing and frustrating loss but the silver lining is the team outplayed their opponent, I’ll take that over the capitals beat downs, and Tyce Thompson’s first NHL point.

Capital "beat downs" were mostly one-goal games (plus two OT/SO losses where the team gained points) against a team that is filled with Hall of Fame players that may compete for the Stanley Cup.

That is far different than scoring three goals against arguably the worst team in the league.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
At the end of this season he will need to see a shrink.... Guy is so snakebitten... Its not necessarily his wingmen... Its just.... Unexplainably unlucky...
Jack needs this
Rattler-Antivenin-boxandbag-Web.jpg

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I just find it sad that we’re now happy that our kids are "playing better" yet we can’t rack up any wins against the worst team in the league. They won 9 games all year long and 4 of those are against us.

Our expectations for this team is borderline pathetic.

Reactions: Bosskarelli and JK3

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Again, this is mental mistakes from a young team. Taking two penalties in the third during a tie game is not how you win.

We played our backup and he allowed 4 goals on 17 shots. Buffalo is 3-0-2 in their last 5 and everyone has been talking all season about how they have way more talent than their record indicates. Sucks for us that they finally decided to wake up.

This was still a winnable game with better special teams and goaltending but shit happens.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Are some of you guys actually watching the games or just looking at the final score. The Devils looked great and absolutely dominated the Sabres. Shots 30 to 16. Wedgewood was bad, you can't let 5 goals at 16 shots at this level. He over plays, huge moves left to right and couldn't even stop a straight shot with no screen. The cross ice onetimers I'll allow but an NHL caliber goalie will sometimes make those saves too.

But I'm not mad I thought all lines looked good, D could have been better, but all game I felt the Devils would surely win it. But the Sabres went full on Capitals against us and scored 5 goals with 16 shots.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Are some of you guys actually watching the games or just looking at the final score. The Devils looked great and absolutely dominated the Sabres. Shots 30 to 16. Wedgewood was bad, you can't let 5 goals at 16 shots at this level. He over plays, huge moves left to right and couldn't even stop a straight shot with no screen. The cross ice onetimers I'll allow but an NHL caliber goalie will sometimes make those saves too.

But I'm not mad I thought all lines looked good, D could have been better, but all game I felt the Devils would surely win it. But the Sabres went full on Capitals against us and scored 5 goals with 16 shots.

This is good to hear. I've had frustrating circumstances this year that mean I have a very hard time watching games on Tuesdays and Thursdays (when I saw the post-covid schedule I almost threw a fit) so I didn't get to watch this one, save I watched Tyce's first shift before running out the door.

All I want is for the team to play well, don't give a shit about the outcome. If Jack starts scoring in addition to what we see now, I'm basically happy.

Maybe next year we'll have a good backup goaltender that won't retire a week into camp and we won't lose games like this.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
How the f*** does Hughes generate so much offense without getting on the scoresheet. It's mind-boggling how snakebitten this kid is. It's absolutely absurd.

Get this kid some real linemates over the summer. At least one finisher. Please.

Or not good enough yet. You can call it unlucky just so many times.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I really don't get losing your minds over this one.

They played better overall. Put 4 in the net, with one unfortunately not counting. Couple of mistakes and Wedge being meh bit them.

Special teams remains a problem, but everyone should have long settled in there isn't a good way to fix it during the season this year with thr schedule. Neither will be this bad next year.

I guess everyone is hung up on it being Buffalo, but it's the NHL, anyone can bear anyone else, especially with this wonky year and schedule. They just beat the Rangers and Flyers in the last week. Should they be equally as mortified, or is it just us because we are overly dramatic?

Season is cooked. It's about the young guys showing promise, which they are.

overall I agree the team is coming into its own.. the special teams has been the real difference maker for the worse. when you are last in the league on both pk and pp you are not going to be in the mix.. especially in this division. we have a goalie we have good young talent.. they are building it that way through the draft...so it takes time.. its been long but this team is way better than last years teams.. they are create way more quality chances.. just are not finishing they do need to find goal scorers. but this season is over in terms of playoffs so focus on the overall play .

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
There has to be consequences at some point for turning the puck over inside the blue lines. It's maddening to watch them make the same mistake over and over again.

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad