Confirmed with Link: Devils extend Hischier (7 years, $7.25 AAV)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Which is another reason why its so weird that Zajac gets so much hate. One of the few guys that chose to be here.
Zajac used to get more grief, I mean when he put up 11 goals and 25 points in the 14-15 season that contract was looking scary.

But he rebounded really well, at age 33 he had his best point output in 5 years, and his 2nd best point output in 9 years. This while playing on what is viewed as a shutdown line.

So not many fans have gotten on his case in more recent years, maybe one or two guys, but for the most part I think the fan base has really come to appreciate his career, and his contract.

Edit: But yes we should appreciate guys who choose to stay in NJ.

Last edited:

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
DDE08005-456E-42FC-B15A-2B0E91281BC9.jpeg

I called this! Yay I’m stoked!!

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I would have liked to have seen him at 750k less, but I don't care. Just happy to have him for 7 more years.
6.5 for 7 years was a pipe dream. I honestly thought Nico could get more money. He's so underrated and has been our 1C since his rookie year. He's only going to get better too.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
In an odd way Zajac gets the heat precisely BECAUSE him and Greene and the only ones who stayed from the good years. So he got blamed for the downfall after the others skipped out.

the only people blaming Zajac don't know about the actual game of hockey. They think it should all be 6-5 games, lacrosse goals, and spin-o-ramas. Zajac is criminally underrated around here.

Ds88

Jun 21, 2009
Man I got a lot of you guys with the Zajac contract. I overall like the deal it is a gamble, but I think it's a smart one. It's no guarantee that he's going to break out offensively (calm down I think he will). Even if he tops out as a 50-60ish point player the rest of his game makes the deal good value.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Yeah you can make the case that it's somewhat of an overpayment in terms of AAV, at least based on his performance thus far, but I am not complaining if it means buying up some UFA years.

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019
This is a great deal for both sides. Congrats Nico, another countryman making me a little proud. Too bad Roger never tried ice hockey. But that's another topic. Let's go Nicoooo! Voll geil.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
This is going to look even better as the Devils move forward with their rebuild. Adding talent around a Top6 C just got easier.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Seriously there are people who think this is an overpayment?!

Most of those people are probably just looking at his point totals. I brought it up in the dumpster fire main board thread, but MacKinnon averaged 56 points his first 4 seasons (300 GP) in the NHL. Nico has averaged 52 points in 157 GP. Obviously that doesn't mean Nico will explode for 90+ points like MacKinnon has, but it's dumb to think that Nico has peaked offensively at 20 years old, which some in that thread would apparently like us to believe.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the thing about the point totals is that Nico has done most of his damage at even strength

since he came into the league, Nico is at 2.21 ES points/60 which is 56th best among forwards (min. 1000 minutes). This is better than:

S. Aho
L. Couture
J. Toews
M. Tkachuk
N. Backstrom
B. Wheeler
T. Seguin
A. Kopitar
G. Landeskog
M. Zibanejad

Just to name a few.

Reactions: DerekDevils30