Confirmed with Link: Devils Extend Bratt (8 yrs, $63 million)

TF1970

May 9, 2021
fair deal for both sides. especially with the cap conceivably going up quite a bit over the next few years from where it currently is.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I think it's a fair deal for both sides. Just glad all this shit is over and done with regarding Jesper. Glad we got it done under 8, would have preferred a slightly lower AAV but the difference between 7.5 and 7.875 is so marginal that it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think Bratt could have done a little better if he played hardball and probably told his agent to blink here but he clearly wants to be in NJ, that wasn't the issue, and $63 million is $63 million and he earned it.

Ecstatic he's in NJ for 8 more years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Can’t believe he’s only 24. Feels like he’s been on the team forever.
This is an underrated part of this deal. This deal pays him through his prime years. Buys a ton of UFA years. Cap is going to rise like an mf'r through the mid portion of this contract.

I totally understood Bratt playing hard ball, but I'm stoked he signed long term at a current market deal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This really is the low end of the potential range for Bratt.

Credit to Fitz for drawing a hard line, but credit to Bratt for signing this deal as well. This board talked a ton about Bratt hardballing for a short term so he can cash in later, and it did so because that very much made sense from his perspective to do so. But he didn't, he signed a team friendly.

Definitely some Kudo's to Bratt here.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bratt having a subpar playoffs honestly might be an absolute blessing long-term. This deal is going to pan out so incredibly well.

If Fitzgerald can get Meier for around 8.5, he’s an absolute wizard.

Thinking ahead, but I wonder if Fitzgerald tries to extend Mercer as well this off-season. If you can get Bratt/Meier on good deals, maybe you can convince Mercer to extend as well for a reasonable cap hit (say ~6 million).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad