Devils Defense

JrzDevil11

Feb 3, 2005
What do you guys think about the defense? Is it solid? I look at Greene and Larsson being the best we have. Volchenkov and Tallinder constantly annoy the crap out of me. Fayne is a bit underrated and I'm not sure why Harrold doesn't get more of a chance.

Just interested in what people think....

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What do you guys think about the defense? Is it solid? I look at Greene and Larsson being the best we have. Volchenkov and Tallinder constantly annoy the crap out of me. Fayne is a bit underrated and I'm not sure why Harrold doesn't get more of a chance.

Just interested in what people think....

I don't think it is good at all.

I think Tallinder and Volchenkov were mistakes the moment they were signed. I think Salvador is looking like the Salvador I expected last season, which only says to me that last year was more of an exception than the rule...Greene is solid and so is Fayne...Larrson is continuing to develop. I like Zidlicky for what he is, but defensively, whatever...

I think Tallinder, Volchenkov and Salvador are only slightly better than useless...And I know no one would agree with me, but out that pile of garbage Tallinder is far and away the best player of the bunch. Just my opinion.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I want Volch and Tallinder gone.
But, without Volch it leaves them a soft bunch.
His handling of the puck like a jumping bean is an accident waiting to happen every time though.

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
I think something needs to be done with the quantity of defensemen we have. I would like to use the logjam of d-men to upgrade the team, whether that upgrade be at forward or defense.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Been very impressed with greene-larsson. Aside from that not a lot to like about this group at the moment. Sal has been mediocre and the less said about volch the better. Fayne definitely needs to be playing....

It'll never happen with how many dmen we have, but I'd love to see gelinas get a quick look. He's a big mobile defender who has an absolute cannon and would bring an element to the blue line we lack in...

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i dont mind volch this year as much as i did the last. that being said, we can rest easy that in 3-4 years we may have one of the best d corps in the league if even half of our prospects pan out. but if, but still

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I wasn't a big fan of Salvador's contract when it got signed and I still think it is going to look very ugly in a year. But I was worried about the Green contract too and that turned out fine so what do I know?

Oroku Saki*

I think it's fine, we're just in a slump. They'll get their **** together. They might be playing too tight because they are afraid they might be next to sit.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Besides Salvador, I'm ok with this defence and for the 1st time in years they are finally showing up on the scoreboard.

I find Zids overly criticized here, he's a fine offensive defence-man with very good shooting and passing skills, our PP has taken a great benefice of his presence. If he played the kind of defence people want him to play, he'd be a $6M cap-hit player. Let's have some more realistic expectations.
Nothing to add about Greene, Fayne and Larsson. They are getting enough love on already.

I'm more concerned by the lack of cohesion between forwards/defence-men and the recent inability to execute a well known system.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

I think Tallinder and Volchenkov were mistakes the moment they were signed. I think Salvador is looking like the Salvador I expected last season, which only says to me that last year was more of an exception than the rule...Greene is solid and so is Fayne...Larrson is continuing to develop. I like Zidlicky for what he is, but defensively, whatever...

I think Tallinder, Volchenkov and Salvador are only slightly better than useless...And I know no one would agree with me, but out that pile of garbage Tallinder is far and away the best player of the bunch. Just my opinion.

fully agree. and about the last part, agreed as well. he has the speed edge over those pylons. and for all the hits i was expecting to see from volch on a nightly basis....i see more ****ups and blown clears. zids i really have no opinion on. hes just sorta....here.

apice3*

i dont think nearly enough people value how good our defense is. Its a ton better with fayne over tallinder, though

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

It's like you entered my mind and posted what I was thinking.

SPOT. ON.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
we should trade Zidlicky for a winger - his value is higher than Tallinder at this point.

It probably is. Then we have to worry about Tallinder being in our books next year. His cap hit is brutal when we're trying to re sign Clarkson, and maybe even make another forward acquisition.

I think if Zid, and Tallinder are gone next year just one has to be replaced. No way we carry 7 NHL defensemen next year, and we definitely won't have 8 no matter what. We can bring in Urbom, or Gelinas for $900k grand a year. It saves us $2.5 million to banish Tallinder somewhere else. He's a shell of who he was in Buffalo.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
Greene and Larsson are good. So is Fayne. Zids is fine. Sal is okay. Tallinder is meh and Volch isn't good but is physical.

Greene-Larsson
Fayne-
Salvador-

I like those four in those spots but thats about it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Zidlicky is a liability for whoever is paired with him.

Zidlicky played much much better then what were seeing right now. I don't know if it's because he's more "comfortable", if he thinks his spot is assured or what but his play away from the puck has taken a massive nose dive.

NBC Hockey

Mar 13, 2009
I want Fayne playing. And dammit, I want Harrold back.

Thank God for Andy Greene.

And that about sums up my feelings.

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
2.25 GA/G which is 9th in the league, 20 goals against in 16 games at 5v5 which is 4th fewest in the league, 26.7 shots against per game which is 4th in the league. I'd say they've been pretty solid.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
2.25 GA/G which is 9th in the league, 20 goals against in 16 games at 5v5 which is 4th fewest in the league, 26.7 shots against per game which is 4th in the league. I'd say they've been pretty solid.

Due to 1 part system, 1 part forward responsibility and 1 part effective forecheck keeping pressure off the defense.

Has very little to do with the quality of any individual defenseman on this team.

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
i can't stand watching tallinder or zidlicky anymore. salvador has done okay, but not as good as he was in the playoffs. larsson and greene have impressed me. harrold should not be playing, he's just a worse version of zidlicky. fayne hasn't amazed me but i'd rather have him in than tallinder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad