Devils Defense

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
i truly felt after Harrold's stellar playoffs he had a fulltime position. The fact that he hasn't gotten a game yet on D is beyond my mind. Rite he played Offense one game?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Harrold's also a RH shot and it was unlikely he was going to play over Fayne, Larsson, and Zidlicky. When the heck did our right-side D become the good side?

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Fayne sitting out for Tallinder again. Why? Whyyy?

I can only think of two reasons: Either Lou wants to show him around for trading purposes, or DeBoer thinks he hasn't shaken off all the rust yet and doesn't want to give up on him yet.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This has to be some sort of Tallinder showcase, no? My opinion of Tallinder's recent play isn't as bad as what I tend to read on here, but I feel like every game without Fayne has been ripe with D breakdowns.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The defensive breakdowns jump out and hit you in the face with the lack of scoring and forecheck pressure. If we had more going the other way, the mistakes wouldn't seem as pronounced.

With Zubrus and Carter out, I don't expect huge turnarounds in that area either. Prepare yourself.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This has to be some sort of Tallinder showcase, no? My opinion of Tallinder's recent play isn't as bad as what I tend to read on here, but I feel like every game without Fayne has been ripe with D breakdowns.
Tallinder is so weak for such a big guy. His strong point is his skating. Defensively he is average and thats why he is expendable. Greene, Larsson, and Fayne can do what Tallinder does, and they are better defensively.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another problem with our D right now is Harrold. Through no fault of his own. He was given a one way contract, and has only played in one game this year. Now if we didn't have 8 he may have gotten into action 3 times or maybe 4 by now at most.

I was afraid of exactly this injury thing happening. Proponents of the 8 defensemen thing told me all off season ''There will be injuries, having 8 isn't a bad thing'' now here we are, and we have two forwards out, but no defensemen. Not that I wish injury on anybody, but we absolutely can afford to lose a defensemen (Unless it's Greene, or Larsson, or maybe Fayne) over a forward not named Barch. Now with Carter out we're back to a 2 line team.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
If I remember correctly, Tallinder was being labeled a grenade-handler even just before his blood clot last year. He played with some extra energy in the Finals, but I'm not sure when the last time Tally had a really good stretch playing to his skill

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If I remember correctly, Tallinder was being labeled a grenade-handler even just before his blood clot last year. He played with some extra energy in the Finals, but I'm not sure when the last time Tally had a really good stretch playing to his skill
We had a ''Henrik Tallinder sucks'' thread last year in January right before he went down. Then we had a ''Henrik Tallinder is better than you think'' thread in the Summer, and he was all of the sudden a great player again.

Truth is people complained about him in GDT's all the time last year. It wasn't just me either. In fact I wasn't even the one doing it a lot of the time.

My personal opinion is he's been underwhelming aside from the half season under Lemaire in 10/11.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know who he would go in for. We gotta get Fayne back into the lineup first. If everyone's healthy I only see Harrold going in for Zidlicky.

I'd like him to play just to get sharp, but that really is almost a pre-season mentality. He is the 7th D depth guy. Great and important to have, but not someone you would ideally start over anyone right now. Sal isn't going to sit so it isn't even worth debating at this point, it just is never happening.

Personally I don't really like the idea of sitting Volch or Zids. Tally is the odd man out, and most of us pegged him as that since before the season started. Fayne is still number 3 on the depth chart to me and unless he has some sort of issue just should not be getting scratched right now, especially because his scratch hasn't produced any good results. If Tallinder came in and starting lighting things up, making things happen, then I could maybe start to see an argument for sitting Fayne. There hasn't been anything like that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd like him to play just to get sharp, but that really is almost a pre-season mentality. He is the 7th D depth guy. Great and important to have, but not someone you would ideally start over anyone right now. Sal isn't going to sit so it isn't even worth debating at this point, it just is never happening.

Personally I don't really like the idea of sitting Volch or Zids. Tally is the odd man out, and most of us pegged him as that since before the season started. Fayne is still number 3 on the depth chart to me and unless he has some sort of issue just should not be getting scratched right now, especially because his scratch hasn't produced any good results. If Tallinder came in and starting lighting things up, making things happen, then I could maybe start to see an argument for sitting Fayne. There hasn't been anything like that.
See I don't think Salvador, or Zids have played THAT bad. It's really only an issue I think because we have 8 defensemen.

A couple people might say to scratch one of them for Harrold, but I think it's only an issue because of the overload. I can tell you one thing I'm confident of and it's clear as day. Harrold who is a perfect number 7, will probably not be back next year. He's hardly getting any playing time as it is.

Semak

I can't understand Fayne out again but at the very least if you are going to keep cycling guys in and out for whatever reason, perhaps it's Volchenkov's turn to sit.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the PK isn't good against Washington it couldn't hurt to sit Volch. Not because he's been bad, but because they feel like playing Tallinder. And then because with this logjam 1 NHL defenseman is gonna have to sit out every game unless someone is on LTIR.

Oroku Saki*

I'd like my defense to have a little toughness. That group is soft.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I distinctly remember a few posters at one point mid last season saying ''We could have had Stralman for nothing'' when someone was complaining about our defense. I think it had to be after a Rangers game, and he must have given us problems that game.

MountainGoat

Volch was suppose to bring some toughness but he's too damn slow to go for a hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad