Devils & DeBoer working on contract extension

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
But again, the opposition doesn't fear us at all. Someone cuts across the blue line there is no punishment. Like Jim stated above, our guys are too old or too injury prone to want to be part of that type of game.

Sounds like we are still spoiled from having Scott Stevens. Very few players inspire fear of crossing the blue line

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the players looked scared when patty was injured. it was a clean hit and I'm glad nobody took a retaliatory penalty, but there should've been a response.

I don't even know what the argument is at this point but that bothered me

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Devils are a thick and physical team. We will be lower in hits stats because our scorekeeper undercounts them. We are also a high possession team, and generally speaking you can't hit when you have the puck.

The Devils were 17th in the NHL in road hits, 30th in home hits.

Anyone claiming team physicality or toughness is an issue is just making stuff up.

High end skill, the skill that scores you goals, is what the Devils lack.

lol now I've seen everything. So physicality isn't an issue because we're merely below average in hits on the road. What would the hit totals have been without Cam or Sestito (guys that shouldn't be getting NHL shifts)?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
You cant measure something like physicality with statistics

Same thing as trying to measure a players hockey sense with statistics

And if you seriously trust the so called "hit statistic" in the nhl and want some mid afternoon comedic relief, see david steckel and the hundreds of hits he threw a season :biglaugh:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
This is why I find most advanced statistics total nonsense. There's a lot about hockey players you just can't measure. That's why the eye test is king.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You cant measure something like physicality with statistics

Same thing as trying to measure a players hockey sense with statistics

And if you seriously trust the so called "hit statistic" in the nhl and want some mid afternoon comedic relief, see david steckel and the hundreds of hits he threw a season :biglaugh:

EXACTLY! Is is like explaining love by showing the percentage a sperm has penetrating an egg.

I just wanted to use that analogy somewhere.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
If you don't think you can measure physicality and effectiveness by numbers, watch this video. It's long, but it's absolutely worth your time.

He starts going through the stats at 7:21, the rest is essentially an intro.

Last edited:

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Something needs to be done about the personnel on this team if DeBoer is going to remain the coach. Larsson can't sit around in the minors if he's going to eventually be what he was predicted to be three years ago. DeBoer's system can work, with the right horses, but NJD doesn't have a combination of Parise/Kovalchuk one-two punch on the wings anymore.

Lou needs to work his magic this offseason and show that he still has it. The number one priority should be adding offensive talent, through hell or high water, to this hockey club. I'm not sure how he can pull it off, whether its trade or free agency, but it must be done.

No more bargain basement reclamation projects please.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The problem with Larsson, apart from never seizing opportunities outright, is that he's gotten injured just as he's heated up. And then he's had to try to insert himself at crunch time during the end of the season, when a coach would understandably be reluctant to mess with chemistry and consistency.

As far as the bargain bin, we've always had gems and we've always had clunkers. I say keep digging if the kids don't seize a spot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Something needs to be done about the personnel on this team if DeBoer is going to remain the coach. Larsson can't sit around in the minors if he's going to eventually be what he was predicted to be three years ago. DeBoer's system can work, with the right horses, but NJD doesn't have a combination of Parise/Kovalchuk one-two punch on the wings anymore.

Lou needs to work his magic this offseason and show that he still has it. The number one priority should be adding offensive talent, through hell or high water, to this hockey club. I'm not sure how he can pull it off, whether its trade or free agency, but it must be done.

No more bargain basement reclamation projects please.

And not just any offensive talent, but offensive talent that "fits the system".

Cause Ryder was no reclamation project(though he was had for pretty cheap).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The problem with Larsson, apart from never seizing opportunities outright, is that he's gotten injured just as he's heated up. And then he's had to try to insert himself at crunch time during the end of the season, when a coach would understandably be reluctant to mess with chemistry and consistency.

As far as the bargain bin, we've always had gems and we've always had clunkers. I say keep digging if the kids don't seize a spot.

ya I can certainly see Deboer's concern for messing with the teams chemistry and consistency this year.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
All I'm saying is the time for a kid to find himself a spot is the first three quarters of the year. Not when people are desperate.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
lol now I've seen everything. So physicality isn't an issue because we're merely below average in hits on the road. What would the hit totals have been without Cam or Sestito (guys that shouldn't be getting NHL shifts)?

What are you talking about? The Devils were 17th in hits on the road, and are a high possession team. If we chased the puck around all game like the Maple Leafs we'd probably be top 10.

Using hits to try and approximate physicality is largely crap. Any hits number needs to be isolated to road hits, and then needs to be compared with Corsi/Fenwick to gauge possession. Only then can you start to come to any real determinations.

And every NHL team has there version of Tim Sestito (aka the feisty callup trying to make a name) over the course of a season.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Come on gramps, you can't lump every single number into a category called stats and treat them identically.

A stat like hits, which has been proven to be severely biased/flawed, is not a good descriptor of on-ice play.

As the video I posed shows, you have to combine other stats with the hit stat in order for it to accurately reflect effectiveness. So while it is pretty meaningless on it's own, it can be useful in conjunction with other metrics.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What are you talking about? The Devils were 17th in hits on the road, and are a high possession team. If we chased the puck around all game like the Maple Leafs we'd probably be top 10.

Using hits to try and approximate physicality is largely crap. Any hits number needs to be isolated to road hits, and then needs to be compared with Corsi/Fenwick to gauge possession. Only then can you start to come to any real determinations.

And every NHL team has there version of Tim Sestito (aka the feisty callup trying to make a name) over the course of a season.

I don't really care how many hits they have - you're the one that brought up undercounting them at home (as if being 17th on the road is anything to really brag about), but let's be honest the lower number was indiciative of the fact this Devils team was not in any way shape or form physical. Two of the guys that were supposed to provide that were both out for half the season (Clowe, Sal).

And they got pushed around way too much, especially towards the end of the season when the Caps were taking runs at our players left and right on that Friday night game when everyone went down and nobody responded at all. I don't need a number to tell me this team was soft when nobody so much as looked at Tom Wilson the wrong way after he creamed Elias right in front of the bench. Or when they played Cam for 1/4 of the season precisely because this team was lacking edge.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I don't really care how many hits they have - you're the one that brought up undercounting them at home (as if being 17th on the road is anything to really brag about), but let's be honest the lower number was indiciative of the fact this Devils team was not in any way shape or form physical. Two of the guys that were supposed to provide that were both out for half the season (Clowe, Sal).

And they got pushed around way too much, especially towards the end of the season when the Caps were taking runs at our players left and right on that Friday night game when everyone went down and nobody responded at all. I don't need a number to tell me this team was soft when nobody so much as looked at Tom Wilson the wrong way after he creamed Elias right in front of the bench. Or when they played Cam for 1/4 of the season precisely because this team was lacking edge.

Being 17th on the road while being a high possession team indicates a pretty solid level of physicality, hate to break it to you. You're not going to accrue hits when you're cycling the puck behind the opponents net.

As far as these subjective impressions about how the team reacted to big hits on our players - I think those arguments are pretty BS. I don't want our players taking unnecessary penalties in a playoff run to get back at another team's fourth line goon. Maybe you do though.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Being 17th on the road while being a high possession team indicates a pretty solid level of physicality, hate to break it to you. You're not going to accrue hits when you're cycling the puck behind the opponents net.

As far as these subjective impressions about how the team reacted to big hits on our players - I think those arguments are pretty BS. I don't want our players taking unnecessary penalties in a playoff run to get back at another team's fourth line goon. Maybe you do though.

There's a difference between taking bad penalties and playing with an edge. It absolutely makes an impact if you let a team continue to crash the net and hack away at your goalie after the whistle while you skate away.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
There's a difference between taking bad penalties and playing with an edge. It absolutely makes an impact if you let a team continue to crash the net and hack away at your goalie after the whistle while you skate away.

So what do you want our players to do, exactly? Push guys around after a whistle more?

How does this address our goal scoring deficiency? The one that results from us not being able to score even while we have the puck in the opponents end?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
For the number of Hits on the road vs the number of hits at home, we seemed to control the game more at home then when we are away.

Our record at home (21-11-9) and our record away (14-18-9) speaks for itself.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
So what do you want our players to do, exactly? Push guys around after a whistle more?

How does this address our goal scoring deficiency? The one that results from us not being able to score even while we have the puck in the opponents end?

I never said it addresses the goal scoring deficiency. It absolutely plays a role psychologically, I can tell you that first hand. When nobody touches you around the net after the whistle you tend to be much more aggressive and physical. You need guys to think twice before going 100 miles an hour into your crease and hacking away after the whistle. It also puts your goaltender at risk of injury. Does it relate to goal scoring? No, why would it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad