GDT: Devils @ Coyotes - 10:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Is it possible Bahl might actually be good and is not the second coming of Steven Santini? I mean literally no one is as bad as Santini, so I don’t think that was possible.
Eh, I don't know if I'd go there yet. I think he still probably maxes out as a third pairing/depth guy, but he's still better than some of the depth guys we've had in the past (*cough*Helgeson*cough*).

Camille the Eel

On the demerit side, the penalty kill was really a mess tonight. Besides the goal we gave up, on one penalty kill earlier we gave up multiple posts and some hairy and lucky skin of the teeth saves by Dawes.

We miss Vesey and Siegenthaler a lot there apparently. They were moving the puck on us at will and generating chance after chance and they aren’t exactly known for their power play either. Like 30th in the league.

We out shot and our chanced them badly. But basically their goalie gave away the game in the last minute of the 2d period with two brain dead turnovers and a rebound. But we still had to score those plays. That was sweet. How surely we finished the last 4 goals. The Bratt pass to Tatar for the open net. The quick shot and rebound for Boqvist. The two soft and effortless roof top finishes by Shango. That was good to see and it’s what distinguishes us this year most nights since January anyway from prior seasons.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
On the demerit side, the penalty kill was really a mess tonight. Besides the goal we gave up, on one earlier we gave up multiple posts and some hairy and lucky skin of the teeth saves by Dawes.

We miss Vesey and Siegenthaler a lot there apparently. They were moving the puck on us at will and generating chance after chance and they aren’t exactly known for their power play either. Like 30th in the league.

We out shot and our chanced them badly. But basically their goalie gave away the game in the last minute of the 2d period with two brain dead turnovers. But we still had to score those plays. That was sweet. How surely we finished the last 4 goals. That was good to see and it’s what distinguishes us this year most nights since January anyway from prior seasons.

3 seasons prior to this we were 25th in 5v5 and AS GPG. Since Christmas this year we're 12 in AS GPG and 7th at 5v5. That AS will definitely rise given an improved PP. That 5v5 number also has the capability too. The offense has stepped up in a big way

Last edited:
Reactions: OmNomNom

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
On the demerit side, the penalty kill was really a mess tonight. Besides the goal we gave up, on one earlier we gave up multiple posts and some hairy and lucky skin of the teeth saves by Dawes.

We out shot and our chanced them badly. But basically their goalie gave away the game in the last minute of the 2d period with two brain dead turnovers. But we still had to score those plays. That was sweet. How surely we finished the last 4 goals. That was good to see and it’s what distinguishes us this year most nights since January anyway from prior seasons.

The PK has sucked for a while actually, before we lost those guys to injury.

It was top notch in both GA and xGA for months but then started deteriorating and has been trash for over month.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
And another thing.

Friendly reminder time.

Hughes, Wood, Vesey out = 11 F.

D/F Geertsen would be 12 F.

If Geertsen is listed as an F instead of a D, the emergency loans of Greer, Zetterlund, and Bahl are not possible. With one remaining non-emergency recall remaining means only one of those three (or Okhotiuk, Walsh, Foote, and Clarke) would be able to be recalled.

Thanks for the fish.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
73 pt pace. 33 pts in 25 games since the ASG. That's tied for the 15th best PPG and tied with Sid over that stretch.
no need to slice and dice the sample size. we hopefully aren't a delusional fan base. the numbers are good enough without artificially making them look better.

the devils are setup great for the future down the middle with an offensive center and a two-way center, who can expect to score 80-90 and 70-80 points respectively in a healthy year. nice to see them 'bust' out in the same season.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
no need to slice and dice the sample size. we hopefully aren't a delusional fan base. the numbers are good enough without artificially making them look better.

the devils are setup great for the future down the middle with an offensive center and a two-way center, who can expect to score 80-90 and 70-80 points respectively in a healthy year. nice to see them 'bust' out in the same season.

I mean it’s not like 25 games is a negligible sample nor is it an arbitrary sample. I also did include his total season pace

Reactions: Camille the Eel

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That’d be nuts since he was at 0.5 ppg for quite a while. He was obviously finding his game early this season after all of those injuries. Made a lot of people on here look like fools, and well deserved.
points, points, points. as long as he can't play a heavy game and stay healthy. he hasn't played in 82 games since his rookie season and hall carried him to all of them.

if we just had drafted nolan or lou ...

• Haha
Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
year after year the gift that just keeps on giving and giving over and over again

the glorious failures of the phoe......er,.......arizona coyLOLtes

the standard that all teams in the league should strive to be!

:scared:
people enjoy a lot of goals.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'll admit was skeptical of Shara when he had a slow start to this season. And I still don't think he will ever be the guy driving the play for his line.

But his recent high-level play and scoring pace have shown that he has the offensive skill to merit a top 6 spot, and he can clearly keep up with and develop chemistry with both Hughes and Hischier. That's valuable in itself.
rango could be a cost effective puzzle piece in the devils top6 - long term.

people, who shit on him, zacha, boqvist, severson, blackwood or previously even bratt etc., just have no plan, how roster construction actually works. if all those players turn into top 6 forwards, top pairing d's or high end starter calibre goalies, there is no way you can all keep them and stay under the salary cap.

having complementary pieces is totally fine. even if they don't reach their assumed ceiling from the draft days.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Then also potentially Gritsyuk as a 5th. Fitz needs to get on his Shero shit and get the late rounds back in order. The last 2 drafts have been pitiful outside the top picks.
it only gets tougher for current and former late round picks. with so many young forwards in the organization, those late round picks might never get a real shot with the devils. bratt was basically gifted a spot in the line-up out of nowhere, because the team was severely lacking in playmakers. then rango fit in nicely with his shooting next to hughes.

gritsyuk might never make it to new jersey. not because of politics or ability. with holtz, mercer, thompson, bastian, stillman, zetterlund, moynehan and clarke the devils have a lot of options for the right wing. gritsyuk is lhs but plays mainly on his off-hand. i could see him being part of a package to acquire a goalie or rhd help from a team, who is more patient to wait for gritsyuk.

Reactions: MakoSlade

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I mean it’s not like 25 games is a negligible sample nor is it an arbitrary sample. I also did include his total season pace
sorry, not meant as an attack.

i just hate it, when i see fans from other fan bases pad the stats of their players by using only parts of the stats, where their players performed well. nearly all statistical models are more predictable with more data. eliminating data from the sample (because the assumption is they are outliers), normally has a negative effect in regards to predict future events/results.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He won't be cost-effective for long if he keeps raking :laugh:
then he leaves via trade or free agency and the devils have to develop a new top 6 winger. that's the nature of the game with a cap. you have to prioritize your spend. the bratt contract talk this summer will be crucial. everybody wants to keep him. but fitz needs to stay in budget with his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad