Devils could use a real third line center

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
wish we signed Prust this past offseason, he's the one Ranger player I could stand watching, the perfect example of a 3rd liner

He's paid way too much. But he does have that quality where he's a dirtbag when he plays on another team, but you'd love him if he played for yours.

"Eyesight" is what told half of twitter last season that Fayne was the worst defenseman on the Devils. Forgive me if I don't trust anyone's eyesight anymore.

Eyesight in conjunction with stats is still useful.

Plus, those people on Twitter were idiots. Fayne passed my eye test just fine.

kiwidevil

"Eyesight" is what told half of twitter last season that Fayne was the worst defenseman on the Devils. Forgive me if I don't trust anyone's eyesight anymore.

Believing twitter posters is your first mistake. There is 100x less accountability to what you say there than on hf.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
First Stralman. Now Prust. What's with the lovefest over Rangers scraps?

Should we start holding our breath for when Bickel becomes available?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Not sure why people think Prust is so over paid. He gets 2.5 million for a 3rd liner or really good 4th liner, solid fighter, and can be used on the PK. Won't you all prefer to have Prust at 2.5 million than Barch at 750k?

apice3*

Not sure why people think Prust is so over paid. He gets 2.5 million for a 3rd liner or really good 4th liner, solid fighter, and can be used on the PK. Won't you all prefer to have Prust at 2.5 million than Barch at 750k?

Ryan Carter brings pretty much the same thing to the table, although a few less points, for 1/3 the price of Prust.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Not really. I could spend the extra $1.25M somewhere else. Not to say I don't like Prust, he's a good player, but.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Ryan Carter brings pretty much the same thing to the table, although a few less points, for 1/3 the price of Prust.

I am not comparing Carter to Prust. I rather have Prust at 2.5 mill than Barch at 750k.

Plus Prust is probably worth 3 times the cost of Carter.

Carter has a career high of 9 pts (should double it if we played 82).

Prust has a career high of 29 pts. On pace to get around 23 over 82 games.

Carter has 48 points in 270 games - .18 average with 1.06 PIM doesn't play the PK.

Prust has 68 points in 296 games - .23 average with 2.32 PIM and is a solid PK player.

Not sure why people won't pay an extra 1.75 for a quality fighter, Pker, and 3/4th liner.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Not really. I could spend the extra $1.25M somewhere else. Not to say I don't like Prust, he's a good player, but.

We have 12 million cap space this year and unless we make a big splash will have a lot of cap room the next few seasons. The 1.25 million in cap space is insignificant for us right now.

I would have preferred we pay a Prust like player (not many in the league) around ~2 million than dress a 750k player that would be lucky to get 5 points over a season or have a game that he plays 10+ minutes.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Lotki at 3rd line center sounds good to me. Or give him some shifts with Kovy and Poni to see if there's some Russian connection. You gotta believe Lotki would up his game playing with a national hero. He clearly can pass and looks quicker than he was made out to be.
Same with Butler. How in the world was Butler labeled slow? He looks to have average speed if not above average. Lotki also looks at least as fast as most players out there.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I am not comparing Carter to Prust. I rather have Prust at 2.5 mill than Barch at 750k.

Plus Prust is probably worth 3 times the cost of Carter.

Carter has a career high of 9 pts (should double it if we played 82).

Prust has a career high of 29 pts. On pace to get around 23 over 82 games.

Carter has 48 points in 270 games - .18 average with 1.06 PIM doesn't play the PK.

Prust has 68 points in 296 games - .23 average with 2.32 PIM and is a solid PK player.

Not sure why people won't pay an extra 1.75 for a quality fighter, Pker, and 3/4th liner.

This actually completely solidifes FMASC's point that he is barely better than Ryan Carter. This, to me, does not prove he is worth his contract. I'd take Carter because he brings similar qualities on a cheaper hit and could play the PK if we actually needed him to.

(We are deep on forwards who can play the PK, so much so that I doubt Prust would be on the PK for us if he were here instead of Carter.)

Now Prust over Barch? That is obviously something we would all take.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
This actually completely solidifes FMASC's point that he is barely better than Ryan Carter. This, to me, does not prove he is worth his contract. I'd take Carter because he brings similar qualities on a cheaper hit and could play the PK if we actually needed him to.

(We are deep on forwards who can play the PK, so much so that I doubt Prust would be on the PK for us if he were here instead of Carter.)

Now Prust over Barch? That is obviously something we would all take.

IMO I would rather have Prust than Carter (including their contracts).

Carter had 5 fights last year (6 the year before). Prust already has 6 fights this year. Had 20 last year and 18 the year before.

No doubt in my mind Prust would be on our PK. He was great for the Rangers last year in that role.

apice3*

Didn't the league implement a new rule where you get suspended after 10 fights?

Also, why are we basing their game on fights? Prust is probably better overall, but he's not 2 million dollars better in the salary cap era.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Lotki at 3rd line center sounds good to me. Or give him some shifts with Kovy and Poni to see if there's some Russian connection. You gotta believe Lotki would up his game playing with a national hero. He clearly can pass and looks quicker than he was made out to be.
Same with Butler. How in the world was Butler labeled slow? He looks to have average speed if not above average. Lotki also looks at least as fast as most players out there.
Few weeks ago I posted about Butler, worrying if his decision making would be slow in the NHL compared to the AHL. I bluntly posted 'hes slow' and I didnt mean it like that haha. So I apologize for adding to the label of him being slow! :sarcasm:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Few weeks ago I posted about Butler, worrying if his decision making would be slow in the NHL compared to the AHL. I bluntly posted 'hes slow' and I didnt mean it like that haha. So I apologize for adding to the label of him being slow! :sarcasm:

Haha it's all good I remember multiple people saying it. I was pleasantly surprised

lboogie42*

once zubie comes back we will be fine. also we could play loki at center. and if jj would stop going invisible and play like we all know he can, we wont need another center

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And Fayne is miles ahead of both of them, making any pining for Stralman relatively moot.

Tallinder's the eighth best defenseman on the team at this point. Stralman would probably be the eight best defenseman on the team too. This is a lot of sound and fury about nothing.

I do like Prust and would rather have a goon that can play than one that can't. That's not really a role you overpay for an in ideal world though, at least not to that degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad