Devils could use a real third line center

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't Henrique on their line when Poni scored the OT winner against the Flyers?

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Josefson hasn't been given a chance at 3rd line C this year though. We've had CBGB there all year. Why can't we just roll 4 lines? It will make our team better. Barch has done a fine job as the resident goon, but he's not needed every game. He's averaged 50 games per year in his career. He's an interchangeable part that we can throw in, and out of the lineup. He brings no offense whatsoever.

Lokti will have to be shifted with Patty like yesterday to get any points, and Butler will have to try and get production on the PP. That line is doing **** even strength with Barch in the lineup.

Fact-Barch scored on a breakaway last year

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Look at the potential full line-up, and no doubt Josefson is going to come back. Pretty obvious they do NOT want a legit 3rd line at the moment, I know Zubrus is injured.

Poni-TZ-IK
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Zubrus-Loktionov-Butler
Carter-Josefson/Gionta-Bernier

There's maybe a slight lack of top end forward but the depth looks solid. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler being a very good 2nd liner with some linemates like Henrique and Elias.

Zubrus-Loktionov-Clarkson would be one hell of a 3rd line. (yeah I firmly believe Andrei is a good player)

With Carter out, I want to see:

Ponikarovski-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Loktionov-Butler
Matteau-Henrique-Clarkson
Barch-Gionta-Bernier

I want to see them try to balance the lines. Give some young guys a chance and see if they wind up having any chemistry, with the veterans. It allows us to balance our scoring out.

kiwidevil

Speaking of behindthenet.ca, Josefson's PDO is among the worst in the entire league. Reports of his struggles have been greatly exaggerated.

I have no idea what PDO means, but what I can tell you from watching hockey is that Josefson looks scared out there at both ends of the ice. Do you have a 'confidence meter' stat, based on blood pressure and positive brain waves?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Gionta might be playing in a third line role, but he's no third-line center. I think all of us want to see CBGB go back to the 4th line.

It's where they belong. I'm grateful for how they came together out of nowhere and helped propel us to the Final, but they are a fourth line for sure.

Speaking of behindthenet.ca, Josefson's PDO is among the worst in the entire league. Reports of his struggles have been greatly exaggerated.

So he was getting unlucky too. Poor guy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
CBGB is the best 4th line in hockey. They are an okay 3rd line and they've held their own, but they will do a ton more damage as 4th liners.

This, those guys are doing well in the role we have handed them in the regular season, but match up wise they will just own 4th lines when put back in that role. Get Zubs down there with JJ/Loki and Butler and that is a third line without having to go shopping.

MountainGoat

wish we signed Prust this past offseason, he's the one Ranger player I could stand watching, the perfect example of a 3rd liner

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
According to my eyesight, Josefson was playing like hot garbage.

I think your eyesight might be exaggerating a bit.

Josefson has not been good, but it's important to remember that he has had really bad puck luck. If a couple bounces go his way, and he has say 2g and 3a, way less people are probably criticizing his play.

Our eyes are imperfect analytical tools. We must be very mindful of how players are actually playing in the short term, rather than the results of their play (goals, assists, etc.).

For instance - Steve Bernier. He hasn't really played any better than last season (still has an aenmic shot rate, the only difference is a 21.1% shooting percentage versus a 4.5% shooting percentage), however he was in the right place at the right time against the Islanders a couple weeks ago and potted an empty netter. Production will cure all ills, regardless if someone hasn't improved or is playing worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad