Confirmed with Link: Devils claim Tom Kostopoulos

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Devils claim right wing Tom Kostopoulos off waivers from Pittsburgh

TG:
"The Devils claimed right wing Tom Kostopoulos off waivers from the Pittsburgh Penguins today.

Kostopoulos, 34, has 60 goals, 96 assists and 705 penalty minutes in 615 career NHL games with Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Montreal, Carolina and Calgary.

The Penguins just signed the 6-foot, 205-pound Mississauga Ontario native to a two-way NHL contract on Tuesday. Previously, he had been playing on a 25-game AHL tryout contract with their Wilkes Barre/Scranton. He had to be placed on waivers after he was signed to the NHL contract to remain in the AHL.

Kostopoulos had three goals, four assists and 43 penalty minutes in 17 AHL games with Wilkes Barre/Scranton. He last played in the NHL with Calgary last season, putting up four goals, eight assists and 57 penalty minutes in 81 games. "

Who is this guy? Is he a bottom line RF? NHL or AHL material?

Come on, Lou. We need a BIG trade !!!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Came here to say you gonna like him.

xlarge.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How does the waiver lineup go? Aren't we second to last because we lost in the SCF last year? Is that how it works out? So Pittsburgh had a chance to claim him first?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How does the waiver lineup go? Aren't we second to last because we lost in the SCF last year? Is that how it works out? So Pittsburgh had a chance to claim him first?

Well they had just signed him and had to place him on waivers so they couldn't pick him off waivers unless I am totally missing something.

We gave up nothing, see if it turns into something if not well we trolled Pitt a little bit.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Pittsburgh signed him so every other team gets a shot first I think. It gets updated through the season so it's definitely not based on last year's results.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Who is this guy? Is he a bottom line RF? NHL or AHL material?

4th line role player. Can't say I've seen a ton of Kostopoulos in recent years, but he generally had a decent reputation. Probably can pencil him into the 4th line RW spot while Bernier moves up into the top 9. If it doesn't work out, he can follow Butler out the door. Obviously not a sexy pickup, but an upgrade over Janssen.

bleedred said:
How does the waiver lineup go? Aren't we second to last because we lost in the SCF last year?

During a normal season, the waiver priority gets reset on November 1st (off the top of my head). Not 100% sure about the shortened season, but I think it's safe to assume that the current standings determine waiver priority (percentage points as opposed to just points).

Another misconception is that a team gets bumped to the bottom of waiver priority after claiming somebody (a la a Yahoo fantasy league). This is not true with the NHL.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Tom Kostopoulos is a 4th liner, who'll play his heart out, will drop the gloves with about anyone and will get his face punched in every time. He's a "team player" that will do just about anything the coaches tell him to do.

If he's here to replace Janssen, then we're already in a better situation then we were 24 hours ago.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
After cooling off a bit, I don't mind the deal. He's better than Barch and Janssen and that's A-OK with me. Welcome aboard, Jim from The Office!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
How come the real purpose of this obligatory thread hasn`t been met yet?

Post the Cup picture already!

A guy like this practically singlehandedly won us a game last year with a clutch goal that we were seemingly trying to lose, allowing us to go back to the Rock with a 3-2 lead.

So, I'd be a little reluctant to make that statement.

And to go further, we were in the same position when he was claimed with not being able to roll four lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad