Claimed off Waivers: Devils claim Kenny Agostino

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
To confirm, it's Kenny Agostino, Jersey native born in Morristown grew up in Mt Olive, went to Delbarton then Yale. Played in Calgary, STL, Boston and Montreal organizations, now NJ.

Was never part of the Pittsburgh organization...that was Nick D'Agostino.

Reactions: Hivemind

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
To confirm, it's Kenny Agostino, Jersey native born in Morristown grew up in Mt Olive, went to Delbarton then Yale. Played in Calgary, STL, Boston and Montreal organizations, now NJ.

He was drafted by Shero in Pittsburgh and thrown into the Iginla trade.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

He got traded to Calgary in the Iginla deal.

Reactions: BHD

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Drafted in round 5 by Pittsburgh in 2010. Traded to Calgary in the deal that sent Iginla to the Penguins.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Drafted by Pitt in 2010
Never played for them, was part of the Iginla trade

Reactions: BHD

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mean. I don't get why he doesn't stick on a team. Seems like you could do much worse for a 4th liner.
I don't get it either. When he went pro, he had a couple good years with the Flames farm club, looked solid in his first NHL stint, then new management took over and just didn't give him a qualifying offer. He goes to the Blues, tears up the AHL, gets just 7 games with the big club. Leaves as a Group VI UFA (iirc), heads to Boston. More of the same, solid AHL season, just a cup of coffee in the NHL. Montreal finally gave Agostino a chance and in the games I saw, he looked good, clearly not a top 6 forward, but he's smart, defensively reliable, not afraid to get involved physically.

Now, he's getting the chance with his hometown team. I really hope he gets a chance to stick and find a home. I've loved the kids since I started watching Yale games after the Iginla trade, through his two years with Adirondack & Stockton and his first few NHL games. Frankly, I wish the Flames would have thrown a 7th or something the Habs way and given Agostino a shot on their 4th line and demoted Mangiapane.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Kenny Agostino was traded to the Flames by the Penguins in the Jarome Iginla deal. He was apart of their organization, he just never played a game for them.

edit: it appears I was beaten, by well everyone lol

Reactions: Smitty426

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Kenny was a solid winger on the Habs 5th line. He should be good on the Devils 4th or 3rd lines.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Shero wants more of his old garbage...

2k6wKIV.jpg

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
Liked what i have seen from him in Montreal. I dont know why they let him go. Very intelligent with the puck, Hockey IQ and senses above average nhl players, always well positioned in the offensive zone for a shot. He clearly profited from his time in the Ahl to get the best he could. Remind me of how marchessault got to the Nhl. But maybe less poise than him

When i was watching Nikita Sherbak and him fight for role on the third line of the fourth. We could clearly see that his IQ and senses would get him a better chance to stay than Nikita. Whose still in the minor after a quick stint with the Kings. Which are very old and slow. So you can see what is needed from players to stick in in the Nhl and what players lack.

I think you will like him very much. Doesnt surprise me if he sign a one way deal of two years with the Devils this summer.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s more “bigger Brian Gibbons” than Marchessault. Nice little story and fun to see an AHL vet get a legit chance. Thought he was better than some of the guys the Habs have been icing on their lower lines and he’s running with an even better opportunity in New Jersey.

But ultimately? If the Devils retain him, it’ll be for a depth role...he’s not going to be averaging 17-18 minutes a game in the future as they improve their depth. I can see him sticking around the NHL for a while though as a lower line depth player with enough offensive punch to play higher up in a true injury crisis. There’s definitely worse players who have been full time NHLers for years.

Not coincidently, the Devils have actually had good success with turning some completely unhyped former college stars into useful players...the aforementioned Gibbons of course had a turn as a scoring star early last season before fading back to the mean while Blake Coleman has turned into a really good player who has shown legit staying power and progress in his mid-20’s and is actually a vital part of (an admittedly bad) forward core in New Jersey.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Agostino has actually been a pretty solid player these past few weeks. He's pretty clearly a step above the other AHL trash we've been forced to play. I think he ends up back next year on the 4th line, there are plenty of worse options. Looks like we found another Noesen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad