Post-Game Talk: Devils @ Caps : 2 PM

Eirikrautha

For as frustrating as they've looked at times, the Devils have 7 shots over the last 30 minutes. Since the Devils took the first 8 shots the Caps have outshot them 26-7.
While this is encouraging, our quality of shot has been pretty poor. Long range shots with no screens, etc. We need high-danger chances... and goals.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Here are the list of players better at scoring goals at even strength (per 60 basis) than Jakub Vrana over the past 3 seasons:

1. Auston Matthews
2. Brenden Gallagher
3. Alex Ovechkin

Who cares if he doesn't forecheck or cycle the puck? Get him some linemates who do.

And for the love of god play him more minutes.

It's not about Vrana's talent. He's definitely talented. It's about fit right now. And because our top 6 is so limited in many aspects, it's hard to fit everyone.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hmm...through 2 periods....Ovy 3rd in ice time among forwards, only Wilson and Eller with more, none of the 3 credited with an official shot on goal....

Not getting it done....

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's not about Vrana's talent. He's definitely talented. It's about fit right now. And because our top 6 is so limited in many aspects, it's hard to fit everyone.

What fit though? The Capitals as constructed aren't a heavy team or a fast team at least offensively. They're a wholly opportunistic offense who capitalize on limited chances rather than volume.

If you're saying they need to develop into a heavier team then you really need to consider how Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, heck even Backstrom to an extent fit in going forward. i.e. you'd be looking for a rebuild at that point

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
What fit though? The Capitals as constructed aren't a heavy team or a fast team at least offensively. They're a wholly opportunistic offense who capitalize on limited chances rather than volume.

If you're saying they need to develop into a heavier team then you really need to consider how Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, heck even Backstrom to an extent fit in going forward. i.e. you'd be looking for a rebuild at that point
A re-tool at the very least is needed in the very near future. They need to get younger.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Devils goal floating in the air. Id like to see a timeout, a reaction, before it happens. Not encouraging start for the third.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t know that we need a full sell out. I think Kuzy has to go and that frees up 7.8M. And he is tradeable. Same with Orlov. I don’t dislike him, but he is 5.1M. And we have lefties ready to play. Then use that money for Center or RW. Still think CMM is a another year of minors. But maybe he could play 3C and Eller to 2C.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Everyone in our top 6 can score (yes, even Kuznetsov) which is Vrana's forte. I am not saying that the Caps need to be a heavy team, but what else does Vrana bring that the top 6 doesn't already have in spades? Only his speed.

But the only time he turns on the burners is on a breakaway. He doesn't use his speed to backcheck or to save a rush the other way. He doesn't use his speed to get to a puck on the boards before everyone else. He doesn't have the stickhandling to utilize his speed when the defense is set. It literally is all breakouts.

Which we need as well, just that since our other top 6 guys also can't do those things either or are now too slow, it just feels like it doesn't all fit together.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad