GDT: Devils @ Canadiens - 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
difference is last time we were int he playoffs we didn't have this defense, which if it's playing like this can hold it's own versus anybody.

and our forwards are in an entirely different league of speed. If they try to bully us they're gonna have to get real tired chasing us to do it.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He wouldn't have been on a breakaway like you're claiming. They were all about evenly spaced out. It was a 2 on 1 really. I hate when d-men chase the puck carrier in those situations. If Marino didn't time it perfectly, that's a goal. Doing something that relies on you to be perfect is not a good strategy.
1668582509738.jpeg

He would’ve pretty well been on a breakaway. He was perfectly in the middle of the ice. In that moment Marino had to put pressure on him.
Would’ve made no sense for Marino to just take the pass as Suzuki absolutely would’ve walked in all alone.

If you shift everyone over a few feet to the right sure. In that case Marino could just stay in the middle and watch the pass.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
difference is last time we were int he playoffs we didn't have this defense, which if it's playing like this can hold it's own versus anybody.

and our forwards are in an entirely different league of speed. If they try to bully us they're gonna have to get real tired chasing us to do it.

Lol yeah, that's what I don't get at all. If a team tries to be physical with us, they'll just get outskated

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lol yeah, that's what I don't get at all. If a team tries to be physical with us, they'll just get outskated
In theory yes, but the playoffs are generally called differently and played differently than the regular season. You NEED to be Colorado-like talented to win with only smallish skill players. Tampa had enough size and played edgy to complement its skill, plus had great goaltending.

I don't understand why people even want to be one-dimensional, it seems like it's some badge of honor around here to only win with speed and offensive skill and not need physicality. Being one-dimensional just makes it harder to thread the needle when there's more pressure and less margin for error.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This team has a clear ability to take over games and assert themselves at will. They score goals when they need to, they can shut it down when they need to. The belief of the players is starting to spread to the fans.

I haven’t seen this from the New Jersey Devils in a long time.

Enjoying the ride for sure. But still leery knowing that Devils have yet to play Boston, Toronto, Tampa, Florida, the Rangers or Carolina.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Good morning HFBoards Devils fans! Have we all checked the replays again, and standings....?

What shall we argue about today?

I'll start: The power play still looked out of sync last night, Hughes snipe notwithstanding. With a more deadly PP, this team would absolutely crush opponents more decisively, and it would be more sustainable long term.

But that's a minor gripe in an otherwise outstanding performance on this win streak.

Reactions: My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In theory yes, but the playoffs are generally called differently and played differently than the regular season. You NEED to be Colorado-like talented to win with only smallish skill players. Tampa had enough size and played edgy to complement its skill, plus had great goaltending.

I don't understand why people even want to be one-dimensional, it seems like it's some badge of honor around here to only win with speed and offensive skill and not need physicality. Being one-dimensional just makes it harder to thread the needle when there's more pressure and less margin for error.
Speed is part of forechecking, too. Jacks 2nd goal last night was proof of that. The MTL defender gets the puck along the wall and looks like he's going to clear. Mercer comes in fast before he can make a pass to force a turnover in MTL's zone, and Jack is able to get over fast enough to be in position for an easy goal.

We were one-dimensional last year with our transition game. Now we have a forecheck game. If you can find more physical guys who can still skate and score like Wood, Zetterlund, etc I'm all ears, but I won't sacrifice our speed and skill to do it.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'll start: The power play still looked out of sync last night, Hughes snipe notwithstanding. With a more deadly PP, this team would absolutely crush opponents more decisively, and it would be more sustainable long term.

But that's a minor gripe in an otherwise outstanding performance on this win streak.

Yes and:
Still think they can position better for rebounds. Both on the PP and in 5v5. Dating back to 2 seasons ago at least.

Also Haula has made a deal we never lose but he never scores.

Reactions: My3Sons and Saugus

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I thought the PP looked much better last night

Speed is part of forechecking, too. Jacks 2nd goal last night was proof of that. The MTL defender gets the puck along the wall and looks like he's going to clear. Mercer comes in fast before he can make a pass to force a turnover in MTL's zone, and Jack is able to get over fast enough to be in position for an easy goal.

We were one-dimensional last year with our transition game. Now we have a forecheck game. If you can find more physical guys who can still skate and score like Wood, Zetterlund, etc I'm all ears, but I won't sacrifice our speed and skill to do it.

I'm pretty sure we're like the best rush and cycle team in the league. At least top 3 in both. Also we literally are built similarly to how TB was. TB was pretty small up front and big on the backend. That's literally us as well.

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille