GDT: Devils @ Blues - 9:00 PM - ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Yep. Look at Tampa, Carolina, Toronto as prime examples. All 3 perennial contenders. It took Tampa some serious work to get to the promised land. Carolina is still trying to get there after several attempts. Toronto is still waiting to win a damn series. There are other examples but picked those off the top of my head. I hope we can have a Ranger-like run but won’t be too disappointed if we don’t. Maybe we can run into a Domingue and Raanta along the way lol. This is just the beginning.
Exactly. What about Colorado? MacKinnon was 27 when they won. Makar 23, Nichushkin 26, Landeskog 29, Rantanen 25. Colorado had been a contender for a few years at least. Our core is younger than that, and younger players are coming.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Blues are the only team to sweep us this season so far? Oh, never mind, the Nashville Hiney Heads too.

Of course it would be them, Nashville or Winnipeg, who we're about to play for the first time this year.

But we have one point against Nashville, both losses to St. Louis were in regulation.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Also everyone hates Smith, but outside of the stupid penalties he is solid in his role and is better than Bahl currently is.

I thought Bahl started pretty strong in ~half dozen games, then really struggled and is now playing pretty well.

Playing sporadically isn’t easy. Being a rookie defenseman isn’t easy. You have to be patient and accept some growing pains.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I thought Bahl started pretty strong in ~half dozen games, then really struggled and is now playing pretty well.

Playing sporadically isn’t easy. Being a rookie defenseman isn’t easy. You have to be patient and accept some growing pains.

He was actually better today then I thought. Graves and Marino were underwater though.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don't really care that much about BMW's lack of production when they are used as a 4th line

But Ruff uses them way more then that.

Much bigger issue is how badly they get caved possession wise. They are like the opposite of an energy line right now.

Fitz needs to get some bottom 6 help on top of Timo IMO. We need some energy down there and I think Wood and Bastian are too hurt to provide that for the rest of the season
Get Bonino in Timo Meier trade and bottom 6 looks better.

Bratt-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Hischier-Meier
Tatar-Huala-Zetterlund/Sharangovich*
Bonino-McLeod-Bastian

*I'm assuming one of Sharangovich or Zetterlund is heading in SJ with Holtz.
If Mike Grier was smart he should ask for Zetterlund.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Exactly. What about Colorado? MacKinnon was 27 when they won. Makar 23, Nichushkin 26, Landeskog 29, Rantanen 25. Colorado had been a contender for a few years at least. Our core is younger than that, and younger players are coming.

That‘s right. Miles Wood might be 32 and in the final year of a 5 year 20 million dollar contract with us when we finally win the big one for all we know.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I feel like there are just as many teams that got playoff success right away as ones who took time. Penguins in ‘08, hawks in ‘09 are two that come to mind. Also the lightning got their assess handed to them by Columbus in the first round before they won the cup, but before that they were already winning series pretty regularly once they got out of the basement (they just didn’t get over the finish line until 2020). Shit people are talking about the rangers like they’re a playoff savvy veteran group…they made the playoffs post-rebuild for the first time just last season and immediately made it to the conference final.

Penguins made the playoffs in 07 and were bounced in the first round.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Thought I was the only one who noticed his game tonight. Could have had a point or two as well had there been better screens or deflections in front too.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I feel like there are just as many teams that got playoff success right away as ones who took time. Penguins in ‘08, hawks in ‘09 are two that come to mind. Also the lightning got their assess handed to them by Columbus in the first round before they won the cup, but before that they were already winning series pretty regularly once they got out of the basement (they just didn’t get over the finish line until 2020). Shit people are talking about the rangers like they’re a playoff savvy veteran group…they made the playoffs post-rebuild for the first time just last season and immediately made it to the conference final.

Well the Pens first lost to 1-4 vs Sens in the 1st Rd in 2007, so the Posters Who Demand Only Excellence wouldn’t be satisfied with their performance.

The Pens “Non-Playoffs Dark Age” lasted a whopping 4 seasons, they had made the playoffs 11 straight years before that (and 12 of 13).

It was a 5 year hiatus obviously, because of the Lock Out, which got those assholes both Malkin & Crosby out of their 2003-04 record.

The Hawks got to the WCF in their first playoff appearance out of the wilderness. Now Chicago did actually suffer, they made the playoff once in 10 years before 2009.

Get Bonino in Timo Meier trade and bottom 6 looks better.

Bratt-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Hischier-Meier
Tatar-Huala-Zetterlund/Sharangovich*
Bonino-McLeod-Bastian

*I'm assuming one of Sharangovich or Zetterlund is heading in SJ with Holtz.
If Mike Grier was smart he should ask for Zetterlund.
Everyone needs to stop saying this about Zetterlund.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Stupid loss, they deserved this type of loss for a month with the comical defensive errors they've been making but actually paid for it tonight. It happens, not totally worried with Hughes on the mend. Also not totally sure why Binnington owns us either.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't really care that much about BMW's lack of production when they are used as a 4th line

But Ruff uses them way more then that.

Much bigger issue is how badly they get caved possession wise. They are like the opposite of an energy line right now.

Fitz needs to get some bottom 6 help on top of Timo IMO. We need some energy down there and I think Wood and Bastian are too hurt to provide that for the rest of the season

The 4th line is used as a 4th line, they don’t get hard match-ups.

The BMW minutes are harder, and less productive, because they get defensive starts but they often play against other bottom lines.

Nico plays the toughest minutes on this team by far.

6DAA27B4-8080-439B-8323-76512015D811.jpeg

Puck IQ has their own Quality of Competition
2961EFBA-0712-4918-8C45-C296C954E7C7.jpeg

FCE49BBA-1558-46F2-B592-B4015D8528F2.jpeg

ELITE
2DA9705E-C0C7-42A3-B2C1-44A2C8A045C7.jpeg

MIDDLE
6C94922D-BA3B-4704-8D74-E2351949B931.jpeg

Gritensity
E47D2617-A1CC-4D0F-B0D8-2E6975BB85E8.jpeg

The defensemen version of this is about what you expect, though, man, do we ask a lot of Graves.

0A8E5EA0-9983-40CE-B3F0-51CEA7DD6602.jpeg

ELITE
683773B7-A1F8-486E-BE40-B95A549ECB17.jpeg

MIDDLE
616A4CD7-9451-42B7-B997-50A5B7FA4D6C.jpeg

GRITTY
7064E655-078B-45BF-A9FD-A3BD22845599.jpeg

Reactions: Maine Fan

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I missed the game and just woke up.

But looking at the box score I see a mythical Haula goal.

I see 7 shots and no points from Nico.... going on almost a month without a goal. January 19th was the last time he scored. That is unacceptable

Bratt, no shots, no points -2? Holy smokes? Obviously didn't see it but that sure does look like a terrible effort on paper.

Reactions: glenwo2

Camille the Eel

It‘s a team-wide thing too. We had the puck on our sticks for the majority of our games through the middle of December. There has clearly been adjustments made to our system that have affected our attack. They need to adjust to those adjustments.
There’s very little that separates winning from losing in the league generally. A save here or there. A goal here or there. Your power play. Our schedule was quite soft during the streak early on. But right now, to come to the present, playing without Hughes for three or four games, we are dramatically weakened and anemic. We’ve been riding Hughes all season long but as the secondary scoring dried up, we’ve been playing solid D and riding him to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. Dougie has also been dynamic but a good deal of that was also synergy with Hughes. Luckily it sounds like Jack will be back soon. Without him we will have to scratch and claw to be much more than a 500 club the rest of the way.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It would be terrific to win the Cup, but I will be pleased if they make the playoffs and gain some experience in the second season of hockey. In the playoffs, the defense will tighten up and they will gain experience playing at that level of hockey.

We should be pleased with the chemistry of this team. That chemistry starts with Fitz and gets developed by the coaching staff and it trickles down to the lines on both sides. When you have chemistry, you have a playoff team that can win a cup.

The best example of a line with chemistry was and is the Boston Bruins' "Perception Line." Marchand, Pastrnak and Bergeron they can skate with blind folds on and score because they know where each other will be and pass accordingly. This takes talent, skill and time to build. The Devils are working towards this.

Go, Devils

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I understand why everyone is annoyed that we haven't necessarily been playing well and we were due for a wake up call like this game but wow. It seems like every thread on here is about us making a trade or what our playoff fate will be. Sprinkle in the never ending Blackwood bullshit too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I understand why everyone is annoyed that we haven't necessarily been playing well and we were due for a wake up call like this game but wow. It seems like every thread on here is about us making a trade or what our playoff fate will be. Sprinkle in the never ending Blackwood bullshit too.
The never ending Blackwood bullshit won’t end until his time here ends. He sucks as a goalie. His winning percentage and everything else is far inferior to the other goalie.

Can’t wait for him to be gone.

Thankfully he’s only being used as the backup now, but I’m not thrilled about having to watch him play yet another Central team we never beat in just a couple days from now.

The Blackwood bullshit is warranted, as he’s one of the worst players at the most important position in the game. It’s been that way for going on 3 years now.

His February of 2020 was one of the best months of Devils goaltending ever, and it’s also a lot of the reason that anybody still cares about him or believes in him.

He’s a mediocre at best goalie.

• Love
Reactions: glenwo2

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So I used to represent some of their franchisees. They sent me to their training for lawyers and showed how the food is made….except the nuggets which they’d only show a slide show.

The meat is fine. It’s all meat and about 78% lean to 22% fat. No salt or additives. Probably the worst part is that they freeze every burger before it ships out to the restaurant for cooking. I’m sure that dries it out and ribs some of thr flavor. The veggies are the same veggies that people buy in premixed salad bags at the grocery store in thr US. I think they add sugar and some extra chemically to thr baked goods. It’s not great but it isn’t fake food.
Sometimes its an art of the show. Even if we talk about factories. Or may be they are making to thin meatball, freeze them too long, Texture is very bad, all the meat juice is lost. fry them too long. I don't know exactly but I feel the taste of vinegar in cheese. I think vegetables are ok, but my family(like a lot of families here) have a home with little piece of land for farming. I never buy premixed salad bags. I prefer spend time and find good farming shop or going to the marketplace to buy fresh veggies. Same with meat. I understand that McDonald's making millions of burgers per day and they should automatise their process. And like you said -sugar in bread and texture is bad. And flavor. Im not a fan of food with flavor. I even don't eat candies or other sweet things and prefer dark chocolate. Yeah I know I have no soul. I lost it when I worked with flavors 6-7 years ago.i prefer spices and easily can eat spicy food.

kiwidevil

The thing that seems weird with Nico, is he will make a really nice move/spin off with the puck in the NZ or Ozone to lose a defender, then right when that move is about to result in an open pass for a good chance, he just slips over.

Not sure if he's got a LBI problem that he knows what he wants to do, but just doesn't have the capacity to do it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sometimes its an art of the show. Even if we talk about factories. Or may be they are making to thin meatball, freeze them too long, Texture is very bad, all the meat juice is lost. fry them too long. I don't know exactly but I feel the taste of vinegar in cheese. I think vegetables are ok, but my family(like a lot of families here) have a home with little piece of land for farming. I never buy premixed salad bags. I prefer spend time and find good farming shop or going to the marketplace to buy fresh veggies. Same with meat. I understand that McDonald's making millions of burgers per day and they should automatise their process. And like you said -sugar in bread and texture is bad. And flavor. Im not a fan of food with flavor. I even don't eat candies or other sweet things and prefer dark chocolate. Yeah I know I have no soul. I lost it when I worked with flavors 6-7 years ago.i prefer spices and easily can eat spicy food.
I find that as a get older I prefer much less seeet food than I used to. I will have dark chocolate if I can or something subtle like good sorbet which of done right tastes like fruit not just sweet. Spicy food is great as well. I think in thr US fast food is for kids. My youngest son likes various kinds of fast food chicken but that’s about it. My older two don’t eat it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad