Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

TleTbyV.jpg

DEVILS (35-13-5) at BLUES (25-25-3)

Head-to-Head

The Devils and Blues meet for the second and final time this season, and first in St. Louis. The two teams squared off Jan. 5 in Newark with the Blues staking a 5-3 victory.

Robert Thomas scored two goals and added an assist for a three-point night. Pavel Buchnevich has three helpers while Brandon Saad, Jordan Kyrou and Ivan Barbashev also chipped in goals.

Jack Hughes scored twice for the Devils while Nico Hischier added a goal. The Devils lost despite outshooting St. Louis 39-19.

Devils Team Scope
The Devils picked up right where they left off following the All-Star break, winning. They're 3-0-1 since the break and 11-1-2 in their past 14 games. The Devils rank second in the Metro Division, three points behind Carolina.

The Devils are without All-Star Jack Hughes, who is out with an upper-body injury. He ranks third in the NHL with 35 goals to go with his team-best 67 points. Defenseman Dougie Hamilton had a seven-game scoring streak for 14 points (5g-9a) snapped by Columbus but still has points in seven on his last eight. Goaltender Vitek Vanecek is riding a 12-game point streak (11-0-1), which included a 10-game winning streak.

Blues Team Scope
Sitting double digit points out of a playoff spot, the St. Louis Blues opted to make a move for the future. They traded star forward Vladimir Tarasenko, 31, and defenseman Niko Mikkola to the New York Rangers in exchange for forward Sammy Blais - who won a Cup with St. Louis in 2019 - defensive prospect Hunter Skinner, a conditional first-round pick in 2023 and fourth-round pick in 2024.

St. Louis had lost five straight games before winning their past two contests against Arizona and Florida. The Devils' contest is the third leg of a four-game homestand.

All-Star Jordan Kyrou leads the Blues in goals (24) and points (51). Meanwhile, Robert Thomas has a team-best 33 assists. Pavel Buchnevich has 42 points (15g-27a) in 40 contests. Goaltender Jordan Binnington is 20-18-3 on the year.

By the Numbers
The Blues have eight players who have scored at least 10 goals, ranking 4th in the NHL (10, Seattle and Vegas).

Injury Updates

Devils

Bernier (hip, LTIR)
Hughes (upper-body, week-to-week)
Smith (lower-body)

Blues
Scandella (right hip)

n5s72Xa.png

jv2nusl.png

pb8NQdv.gif

OAAEcte.png

ejCLdZD.png

TF1970

May 9, 2021
LGD, actually happy its a late start so i get to watch at least 3rd, maybe 2nd too.

Dont let the Blues fool you, they still have a decent core that can play very well on a good day.
I mean I look at that lineup and don't see how they aren't significantly better record-wise. Suppose it depends each game if they get saves. They seem to always be a nightmare matchup year-after-year, so we'll see how this one goes.....

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

I mean I look at that lineup and don't see how they aren't significantly better record-wise. Suppose it depends each game if they get saves. They seem to always be a nightmare matchup year-after-year, so we'll see how this one goes.....
Plus Binnington absolutely stole that game from us. So either a market correction tonight or more of the same.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Binnington is Blackwood west.
To a degree I guess he is.

Really hot rookie season, pretty average to mediocre playoffs the year he won the cup. I'm pretty sure his GSAA, as well as his underlying stats were worse than almost any of the famous ''Weaker'' goalies on cup winners, outside of probably Fleury in 2009 and definitely the Avs duo last year.

For some reason, people don't really talk about it and only talk about Niemi in 2010 and Quick in 2014, but I'm pretty sure both were better than 2019 Binnington in those cup runs.

His next two regular seasons were I guess solid. Nothing GREAT, but above average..

Last year he was pretty poor, below average for sure and this year he's really below A LOT of goalies on teams that you would have never have guessed would not be as bad as Jordan Binnington this year.

A couple of Chicago's goalies (not Mrazek) have been better than him, I think all of the Ducks goalies (not sure about Dostal) have been better, Both of Arizona's goalies, both of Montreal's goalies. One of CBJ's goalies, Vancouver's goalies? Ehhh, they've been using AHL guys since Demko has been injured and Demko was playing like an AHL guy before he was injured. Kahkonen from the Sharks has definitely been worse.

And there's a contingent of St. Louis fans that are very sensitive about people badmouthing Binnington's play and blaming the team for his woes, which is common for fans of every team with bad goalies. Every fanbase with a bad goalie thinks their team plays the worst defense there's ever been. Just look at some of the posts last year defending the goalies, including even Jon Gillies at times, who has performed even worse in the AHL this year than he did for us in the NHL last year.

Honestly, Binnington probably wasn't believed to have had much, if any NHL upside at the time of his call up in December of 2018. I don't even think he was ranked above Husso on their goalie depth chart at the time he was called up, but Husso was injured I believe? And he was literally 25 years and 5 months old when he came up in 2018-2019. Before that he had only made one relief appearance in the NHL 3 seasons before that.

Their washed up 37 year old backup has played better than him and has managed to be above league average, albeit in very limited starts/games played. Binnington is apparently the league leader coming into today in games played for goalies this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Binnington is also one of the most unlikeable players in the NHL, never mind the goalie position.

He needs to be Lucic'd to Ryan Miller'd like last season, if not the year before.

I would immediately become a huge fan of the first guy that dropped that fool.

Georgiev looked like he was ready to not that long ago, but the officials wouldn't let him get that near him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll be watching this one from bed

Got some dumb shit going on the last two days. Not sure if just a bug, covid, regular flu, whatever. Feeling waaayyyyyy better today, but won't be going anywhere or to work the next few days, just in case.

Just feeling really drained and fatigued, but yesterday I didn't even sit up on the computer all day, I would just gravitate back to the couch or bed. Now I'm at least feeling more than well enough to sit up on my computer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just to set the ugly tone even more, which will once again piss off lurking fans from the other side, likely not as much as CBJ fans though.

The 2019 Blues are truly the most random cup winner of the last..... Probably since the 06 Canes?

Their cup win is nestled right in between 2 in a row/3 in a row finals appearances for Tampa on one end, and then after back to back cup finals matchups in Detroit/Pittsburgh, a 3 in 4 Hawks team, a Bruins team that made 3 finals appearances in 9 years and still has 3 key members of their cup winner contributing 12 years later (who they did beat to win their cup), a 2 in 3 Kings team, back to back Pens team, who also won 3 in 9 and 4 SCF appearances in 10 years, and then Ovechkin's pretty likely only cup the year before them.

The starting goalie was a complete rando and didn't have a couple of the sexy seasons like Niemi later would to go along with his cup win, head coach is a complete rando, former goon player that was an embarrassment when he coached Philly, which was his only other head coaching job before that.

One of the few Conn Smythe winners that has no chance in hell at the HHOF, though Justin Williams won it 5 years before. He's also not for the HHOF.

Actually, there's a pretty good chance that no one on that team will end up in the HHOF. I think Pietrangelo was considered a maybe for the longest time, now not so much. You gonna really try and convince me that David Perron and Vladimir Tarasenko are going into the HOF? Really? ROR? What?!

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
She is only doing the bench interviews, not calling the game

Which is generally fine, though I've noticed on the limited amount of national games that I've watched (mostly just NJ) that whoever they have on the bench will often chime in during play as well, not just during stoppages in play. Maybe I'm wrong on that though - guess we'll see tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad