GDT: Devils @ Blackhawks: Good Heavens, Look at the Time Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm having a hard time believing that people are ok with the Devils play in their half of the ice.

Goal #1: Kruger had oodles of time and space. 2 Devils were caught when the pass deflected to Kruger forcing Moore to play it like a 2 on 1. I think Cory should have saved the shot, but Kruger is able to get below the top of the circles without a Devil within 5 feet of him.

Goal #2: WTH? Anisimov comes into the zone and is never picked up. He skates right by Palmieri, into a high danger area, deflects the puck, then goes and gets his rebound and scores. Never touched. Never even marked.

Goal #3: Hall with an careless pass that drifts right into the high slot. Just an awful turnover. The Devils breakout these days seems filled with these high risk passes into the slot. Hall needed to be more careful with that pass, and the coaches need to know they're playing with fire encouraging those kids of plays.

And these are only the goals that were scored in regulation.

Hall said he thought the Devils played their type of game last night and that they ought to win a good number of games if they keep playing like that.

If that's the new Devils style, I'm not sure I like it. It's much higher risk (I know others have remarked on this), and I don't know if the Devils have the horses for it. If they keep playing like this, I'm afraid that when other teams clamp down, the Devils are going to find it tough going.

Palmieri went to go to get that puck after the dump in and it tipped off his stick or something right to the blue liner. Shouldn't happen, but it does at times. Problem is against teams like Chicago, it seems like they are so clinical in finishing that you can't make those mistakes. Zacha just watched the entire play unfold and didn't get his man. He's got to be on Anisimov at some point in the zone. He will learn, but that's still frustrating at times.

I think what Hall meant was if you go back to the scoring chances, they were all avoidable plays. They were all poor decisions/passes/reads that led to glorious scoring chances. Aside from the breakdowns, they played a pretty good game, but most of the breakdowns were the result of an individual (or two individual) mistakes. If we can clean those up, we should be fine.

My only problem with that though is I think those individual mistakes are becoming a symptom of the players we have. Moore and Auvitu aren't the best defenders, Quincey is a liability with his speed, and Greene seems like his play isn't as strong as years past. I'm not entirely sure if we will be able to clean up some of the defensive plays.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't even think that Cory had that bad of a game. He actually had some nice saves. The only goal that I hate is the first one. Kruger was given so much time as Moore just laid back off of him. It was a stoppable shot but if you give anyone that much time and space they are going to burn you. The second was a tip that caused the rebound. It might look easy in slow motion but it's hard enough to direct rebounds on clean shots, but the deflection makes that nearly impossible. The final two goals I don't even think he saw so it is tough to blame him. He was a little far back in his crease on those two, but that's generally where he plays anyway. The amazing thing is that if this is the "bad" Cory, then we are in pretty damn good shape.

We just played one of the best teams in the league, at their barn, and trailing entering the third. I'm not too worried. We do need to start getting some more points here. Let's hope we take two in Nashville.

Also, as others have said numerous times, it is so refreshing that our call ups are guys with possible futures ahead of them. No more Pelly, PL3, Boulton, or whatever other crap we called up on a consistent basis. Wood has been great. His speed just causes havoc. I am definitely excited as to where this team is going.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I don't even think that Cory had that bad of a game. He actually had some nice saves. The only goal that I hate is the first one. Kruger was given so much time as Moore just laid back off of him. It was a stoppable shot but if you give anyone that much time and space they are going to burn you. The second was a tip that caused the rebound. It might look easy in slow motion but it's hard enough to direct rebounds on clean shots, but the deflection makes that nearly impossible. The final two goals I don't even think he saw so it is tough to blame him. He was a little far back in his crease on those two, but that's generally where he plays anyway. The amazing thing is that if this is the "bad" Cory, then we are in pretty damn good shape.

We just played one of the best teams in the league, at their barn, and trailing entering the third. I'm not too worried. We do need to start getting some more points here. Let's hope we take two in Nashville.

Also, as others have said numerous times, it is so refreshing that our call ups are guys with possible futures ahead of them. No more Pelly, PL3, Boulton, or whatever other crap we called up on a consistent basis. Wood has been great. His speed just causes havoc. I am definitely excited as to where this team is going.

Head-to-head who is faster: Hall or Wood? I think it's pretty damn close

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Is it a lap around the rink or top speed? I think Hall is quicker, more agile, and probably better top end speed but Wood seems to be close in top speed and gets a whole lot more force going when he's moving.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Tough game and tough stretch for Cory. I'm confident he'll bounce back though. It's a long season. A streak of a couple one goal games with a shutout and his numbers are back where they need to be.

Say what you want, but this team has shown resiliency. We've had a very tough schedule to start the year and have had to combat some injury woes, along with our star goalie playing poorly. To be 13th in the league in points percentage given all that isn't bad.

We'e had a tough schedule, very road heavy against a lot of good Western Conference teams. The fact we're getting points in games we lose is encouraging. I'm not worried.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Welp, everyone has been clamoring an up tempo game but this is what you get. We're putting up goals but it's at the expense of being responsible and shutting things down. Would be great to have it both ways but I don't think we're capable of it yet. Too many breaks with guys getting caught up ice or even worse with no one picking up guys trailing banging in rebounds.

Fast and loose or
Slow and tight?

Hmmm both sound good in parts...

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
We'e had a tough schedule, very road heavy against a lot of good Western Conference teams. The fact we're getting points in games we lose is encouraging. I'm not worried.

I'll agree to this - even tho it seems like Kincaid got the short end of the beating stick in reality.

I wonder if Cory is nicked up or something.

.875, 3.80 (over his last 5) is not going to get the job done with this team.

That's putrid. And it really isn't that much on the team in front of him, either... They've had breakdowns, but other teams have been giving up ridiculous breakaways... (how many did Wood have alone?)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll agree to this - even tho it seems like Kincaid got the short end of the beating stick in reality.

I wonder if Cory is nicked up or something.

.875, 3.80 (over his last 5) is not going to get the job done with this team.

That's putrid. And it really isn't that much on the team in front of him, either... They've had breakdowns, but other teams have been giving up ridiculous breakaways... (how many did Wood have alone?)

He's definitely allowing more stoppable goals than he did last year. He allowed probably as many or more by this time in 14-15.

It's not that he's allowing brutal goals from dead angle's, like that goal against Colorado 2 years ago, but there's definitely a lot more uncharacteristic one's going in on him. A lot more point shots with questionable screens, too much short side open, a couple more shots going through him, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig