GDT: Devils at Capitals 7:00 PM Verizon Center

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The stats for Pointless Argument After Win (PAAW) are shaping up despite a small sample size:

Locker Room Award (LRA) - 4
Better with Other Players (BOP) - 24
My Favorite Player On Wrong Line (WAHWAH)- 7
My Favorite Player Bio Errors (NTPK) - 2
Coaching History (CH) - 3
Laich Sucks (LS) - 1

BOP is leading all categories with a healthy 58.53% PAAW For%, but we're drawing from only about 12 hours worth of data and Overnight Sleep Factor (OSF) is polluting the results.

We'll see what happens later when the Cranky Hungover Work-Post (BLEH) wave kicks in.

edit: stat range is limited to within this thread. Broader stats not yet available.

small sample size...misleading stats...correlation...evaluation vs. prediction...there was no quality of win (QOW) factored in...what about game start time %

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Switch Brouwer and Fehr and I like it. IMO Fehr made the top line click better than Brouwer did.

Brouwer looked darn good last night! Not sure what game you saw but he fit in fine with the first line and picked up 2 assists to boot.

Fehr also helped that third line cycle so much better.

Also Laich on the wing made a great play to set up MJ for the GWG.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Eakin might be a solid 3c on this team if the Caps could trade for him and get him back. But not trading him in the first place would have altered that season and changed where they finished and changed who they drafted. Very likely they don't have Bura or Trotz if they keep Eakin.

you are saying they draft Bura at 12? I doubt it.

they drafted vrana at 13, which was quite a riser. washington has never been afraid to take players higher than where they're ranked. We can't possibly know, but you are right that a long of things would have been changed.

we still would have gotten trotz though, don't think they fire Oates after 1 half year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was as pissed as anyone about losing FF, mostly because he was such a gift at #11, but honestly the lose of Eakins makes me much more angry. I knew what he would be and how important people like him are in the playoffs.

I'll believe it when I see him as a key playoff performer. I loved the guy out of his draft class, but he's a bit undersized to be a real difference maker (as a 3C in DC) in the playoffs IMO. Time will tell I guess.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
small sample size...misleading stats...correlation...evaluation vs. prediction...there was no quality of win (QOW) factored in...what about game start time %

These are developing areas in the field of Crankystats. More work is needed and there is some interesting research being done by the armchair psychology wing of message board posting, but right now this is the best we have. :(

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The stats for Pointless Argument After Win (PAAW) are shaping up despite a small sample size:

Locker Room Award (LRA) - 4
Better with Other Players (BOP) - 24
My Favorite Player On Wrong Line (WAHWAH)- 7
My Favorite Player Bio Errors (NTPK) - 2
Coaching History (CH) - 3

Get out of here with your fancystats. It's all about the eye test.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It is so nice to LOOK FORWARD to watching Caps games again. The past two years we've all still watched but it wasn't something you anticipated the day before or the day of.

Love the forward depth on this team..........injuries will help sort it all out, they always do. Great problem to have.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
they drafted vrana at 13, which was quite a riser. washington has never been afraid to take players higher than where they're ranked. We can't possibly know, but you are right that a long of things would have been changed.

we still would have gotten trotz though, don't think they fire Oates after 1 half year.

i think you are missing much of my point. the caps made the playoffs because ribeiro was good and eakin would have been a rookie. they miss the playoffs under hunter. maybe McPhee is fired then. maybe they don't hire oates then.

its just like in a 3-1 hockey game a team has a 2nd goal washed out and then later scores another 2nd goal. the argument that had the washed out 2nd goal been allowed the actual 2nd goal would have been the tying 3rd goal just doesn't hold up.

If they don't trade Eakin, that is very likely not the only thing that is changed.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Brouwer looked darn good last night! Not sure what game you saw but he fit in fine with the first line and picked up 2 assists to boot.

Fehr also helped that third line cycle so much better.

Also Laich on the wing made a great play to set up MJ for the GWG.

I dunno not looking at stats just seemed to me the first line was spending more time in the offensive zone with Fehr. I liked the chemistry better.

I also think there are a lot of other guys who can or could play well between Ward and Chimera (Mojo, Kuz, Bura, Laich, maybe even Latta). Doesn't have to be Fehr.

Love that Mojo is shooting more this year. His shot looks improved.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Eakin would be the perfect third line centre.

The Garbutt-Eakin-Roussel line drove teams crazy last year.

Posted the same a couple days ago about Eakin being a possible good fit between Chimera and Ward. Also had not heard much about Damon Severson until last night's game and Joe B/Locker commenting that he was a second rounder. FWIW, along with sending Eakin to Dallas we also sent a 2012 second round pick (#54) which Dallas proceeded to pick Mike Winther with (don't know anything about him). At #55 San Jose picked Chris Tierney who is currently with the Sharks and looking at the Sharks board many are high on. At #60 the Devils picked Damon Severson.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
They did stack the PP1, though. That ridiculous second unit is the leftovers.

I want to see Carlson actually threaten to score with his point shot. If not, why not move him off PP1? The Devils left him open all day to shade Ovechkin and he didn't make them pay, and he hasn't really been all that dangerous from that spot IMO.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
They did stack the PP1, though. That ridiculous second unit is the leftovers.

I want to see Carlson actually threaten to score with his point shot. If not, why not move him off PP1? The Devils left him open all day to shade Ovechkin and he didn't make them pay, and he hasn't really been all that dangerous from that spot IMO.

Green takes more chances though. Maybe with a lead you use Carlson. Didn't Green get more PP time in the Sharks game?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
i think you are missing much of my point. the caps made the playoffs because ribeiro was good and eakin would have been a rookie. they miss the playoffs under hunter. maybe McPhee is fired then. maybe they don't hire oates then.

its just like in a 3-1 hockey game a team has a 2nd goal washed out and then later scores another 2nd goal. the argument that had the washed out 2nd goal been allowed the actual 2nd goal would have been the tying 3rd goal just doesn't hold up.

If they don't trade Eakin, that is very likely not the only thing that is changed.

i think you've got your years all mixed up, they didnt get ribeiro until 2012-2013, hunter never had ribeiro.

however missing the playoffs in 2013 may have happened but forsberg and eakin were already traded away at that point.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

images

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I dunno not looking at stats just seemed to me the first line was spending more time in the offensive zone with Fehr. I liked the chemistry better.

I also think there are a lot of other guys who can or could play well between Ward and Chimera (Mojo, Kuz, Bura, Laich, maybe even Latta). Doesn't have to be Fehr.

Love that Mojo is shooting more this year. His shot looks improved.

Maybe but Fehr seemed more needed on the 3rd line.

The 1st line did produce 2 ES goals last night

Agreed on MJ. He really snapped that last one.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Maybe but Fehr seemed more needed on the 3rd line.

The 1st line did produce 2 ES goals last night

Agreed on MJ. He really snapped that last one.

Don't forget Wardo's snipe :sarcasm:

I was disappointed that they decided not to award assists for that goal. It was just a deflection off an opposing player, not a change in possession.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Don't forget Wardo's snipe :sarcasm:

I was disappointed that they decided not to award assists for that goal. It was just a deflection off an opposing player, not a change in possession.

Yeah thats crazy. They def need to award assists on that one.

Eric Fehr is such a disruptive player. He's like an octopus out there and strong on his stick.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If PP1 is dangerous you leave Carlson on it, all else being equal. Green being on PP2 then makes that unit much more dangerous. Opponents need to be deep at PK. You wear out more of their players and fewer of your own.

You also need to make sure you have a solid, consistent PP1 all year in the event Green is gone at some point due to a transaction or injury. We all know this.

You don't change, even if Green looks good, unless Carlson looks bad.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If PP1 is dangerous you leave Carlson on it, all else being equal. Green being on PP2 then makes that unit much more dangerous. Opponents need to be deep at PK. You wear out more of their players and fewer of your own.

You also need to make sure you have a solid, consistent PP1 all year in the event Green is gone at some point due to a transaction or injury. We all know this.

You don't change, even if Green looks good, unless Carlson looks bad.

With the emergence of the Burakovsky/Kuznetsov down low thing it really makes for 2 equally good units IMO.

If its not broke dont fix it. I like that Trotz is splitting time.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...ered_severe_cuts_to_nose_and_above_mouth.html

Looks like Havlat's visor cut clear through his upper lip. Yow. Was worried something like this would eventually happen.

(warning, pic is a bit bloody though not as bad as what we saw on TV last night)

I wonder if the media will put pressure on the league to ban visors?

JK, obviously.

Nasty injury. When watching the game, I initially thought Havlat's mouthpiece was dangling (kind of like what Patrick Kane does). Nope, that was his skin hanging off his face. Not for nothing, but homie was cool/calm on the ice afterwards and did skate off. Once again proving that hockey players are of a different breed. Hope he recovers quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad