GDT: Devils and Panthers and Nickelodeon OH MY, MSG NHLN 12:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
OMG yes they are all better - but what are you going to do? Deal a couple of 2nds now? Take on Grubauer's contract? For better or worse - saying 'hey win a puck battle' works just as well as 'hey make a save'.
We need to do both. First and foremost make a save . I agree that there were no real good moves to make as we just need a fix for the rest of this year and no way in hell I want to commit to any of those guys listed beyond the rest of this season .

Reactions: billingtons ghost

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We got outshot by A LOT (I think we did? Didn't we? From what I remember. It was almost like they had 20 shots or close to 20 in the 3rd, but maybe it was only closer to 15?) in the 3rd, but the quality of goals were just sickening.

One point shot one timer that may or may not have been deflected that just beat Hammond.

Then there were two bad short side goals (I kind of forgot exactly what the 5th goal looked like, but I remember it was a pretty weak one) I think on goals 5 and 6.

The OT winner was also BRUTAL.

I'm willing to give Hammond a break before saying he's as bad as Gillies or that he'll continue to be this bad, only because it's the guy's first game back from injury. I feel there's a decent chance he'll come out in one or two more games from now and look considerably better than this, but he looked pretty bad.

Did we rush him back to try to get our fair share of games out of him with only 15 games left in the season? I mean.... That's gonna be a question now and up for speculation and debate, but maybe Andrew Hammond just sucks? His NHL play in his career really isn't bad, but a majority of these games were over a half a decade ago now.
Yeah I can't say there was a lot of super high quality shots in the third period, in spite of the quantity of put a ton of shots up from anywhere and everywhere because you know the guy's leaking goals. The third goal was an unlucky deflection and the last regulation goal was a one-timer off the f***ing side boards that you might score in NHL '94 but not so much in real life.

And yeah I'm not gonna lie, a small part of me is wondering if we rushed him back off injury now. But that's mainly cause of the team's track record in this area, plus he actually had a worse than Jon Gillies game, which I didn't think was possible.

Reactions: Bleedred

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
You have more faith in Jack Campbell, Holtby, Murray, Quick, Nedjelkovic, Montembeualt, Grubauer and Koskinnen than I do, I guess, lol... The state of goaltending is pretty terrible league wide. There are technically 23 goaltenders with worse SV% than John Gillies.

Min 15 games Gillies has the WORST GSAx/60 in the league. You have more faith in Hammond than the rest of us if you don't think most of those goalies would've won this game and likely done so pretty handedly.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This team isn’t going anywhere under the Shero failure Tom Fitzgerald and his slow to react ass.
You're right, we should fire him and just keep bringing in new GMs every few years because that works. Seriously, do you ever have a solution other than to bitch about the GM and/or coach and want them fired?

Reactions: Guttersniped

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Didn’t watch the game but for sure you want saves on a lot of those (one of Barkov, Montour). That being said, some pretty easy looks for FLA. This team is so low pressure it’s comical.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
+/- is a useless stat but go ahead, blame the best defenseman on the team this year...
He's always out there when things get ugly. He's not Ty Smith bad on defense but he certainly isn't far behind him. Thing is Smith is smaller and alot less experienced. I'm sorry but Severson is pretty much the finished product of what he will be as a player.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wasn’t able to watch since it was on nhl network but….is it really possible that all 7(?!) goalies that have played this season really that awful or is it Ruffs system that take average (except for gillies) and turns them into turds? I’m sure the answer is a little bit of both but damn is frustrating to watch.

@Bleedred ?
No?

The starters were ok (despite both of them started the season injured *sigh*) for a while then deteriorated, I have more grisly details in an earlier post but I don’t feel like digging it up, I had my fill of dwelling on this.

Basically Bernier deteriorated faster and first because Blackwood’s 1st regular season game of the season was on 11/5, while Bernier played in the 1st game on 10/15.

Bernier was also out by the 3rd game on 3/21, Wedgewood was the starter, with Daws backing up against the Caps.

Wedgewood only played 8 period and had 2 starts and then we lost him on waivers, thanks to Blackwood being injured at the start.

Rookie goalies, not NHL, but just turned pro rookies, aren’t NHL average goalies, by definition. They almost never play in the NHL, it’s not like skaters at all. You can’t shelter them. And 2 of 7 goalies were those.

Gilles & Hammond are AHL goalies. Hammond is coming off of an injury, so he’s not going to be a fresh 100% Hammond. He’s 34. I must admit that I had low expectations and he still was shockingly bad. I don’t hold it against him. I’m mean… it’s Hammond. He’s not an NHL goalie.

Florida was sleepy and Bob was bad and we ran all over them. Their coach must have screamed the right things because they unleashed hell upon us in the 3rd. You need your goalie to help bail you out when you experience massive pushback. If you don’t get it, it’s real tough to win, nearly impossible. Every team has defensive errors and can lose period, we needed save or two. He melted down after awhile (Gillies does that too).

I don’t like things about Ruff’s defensive scheme but if you don’t have a goalie doing anything it doesn’t matter that much.

On the 5th goal they put out five forwards (Giroux, Hub., Barkov, Reinhart, and Bennett) which is just filthy.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Gilles & Hammond are AHL goalies. Hammond is coming off of an injury, so he’s not going to be a fresh 100% Hammond. He’s 34. I must admit that I had low expectations and he still was shockingly bad. I don’t hold it against him. I’m mean… it’s Hammond. He’s not an NHL goalie.

Yeah it's not like they rushed Hammond back from injury before he was up to game speed because that's just not something they would ever do.

Not defending Hammond at all here. Just saying.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Can't knock Hughes pick but once Wallstedt fell they should have moved up to get him....That is still the guy I wish we would get but Wild won't trade him....Still am pro Fitz he's done a good job.

Moving from #28 to get a guy who was picked #20 is a big jump, and you need to find a willing trade partner.

The Gusev trade basically killed any chance for us to make any significant move like that. People here propose trades to move up involving picks & prospects but that never happens, you move up with picks.

We would have needed to have still had 2021 #36 pick to make any big move up like that.

Not having #37 pick in 2020, and we didn’t have our 3rd (#68) because of the Gusev trade either, made moving up very difficult that year too. Even with the extra 1st firsts, it’s tough to make a trade up when our next pick was #84.

And we picked Daws with the 2020 #84 pick.

And if we picked Askerov I can guarantee the board would be neurotic over his disappointing current season.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Moving from #28 to get a guy who was picked #20 is a big jump, if you need to find a willing trade partner.

The Gusev trade basically killed any chance for us to make any significant move like that. People here propose trades to move up involving picks & prospects but that never happens, you move up with picks.

We would have needed to have still had 2021 #36 pick to make any big move up like that.

Not having #37 pick in 2020, and we didn’t have our 3rd (#68) because of the Gusev trade either, made moving up very difficult that year too. Even with the extra 1st firsts, it’s tough to make a trade up when our next pick was #84.

And we picked Daws with the 2020 #84 pick.

And if we picked Askerov I can guarantee the board would be neurotic over his disappointing current season.

Jarry f***ed us.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
No it isn't, that's just bad drafting. Drafting BPA is how you end up with Zadina over Quinn Hughes. I can play that game too. Bottom line is there's no such thing as bpa vs need, its just quality drafting, period.

I'm not sure if it was you who brought up the bpa vs need thing awhile ago but I definitely have mentioned zadina vs hughes and it's a classic passing over a player in a position of giant need for someone they thought was bpa.

I guess put another way, I highly doubt Montreal had Kotkaniemi #10 on their list but decided to pick him because he was a C. They prob had him where, you know, they drafted him. Again, just quality drafting.

FYI, Detroit wasn’t going to draft Hughes even if Zadina was gone, the defenseman they had targeted was Evan Bouchard (tall! RHD!).

And now Holland has him in Edmonton.

And Zadina not producing in the NHL is a bit of mystery to many, congrats if you personally called that I guess.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hammond was f***ing atrocious, like up there with Gillies against both Tampa (at home) and Edmonton, but I'd welcome more games from him.

The reason he's needed is to get Gillies out of the NHL action and back to the AHL, not to keep Gillies from playing more games and continue Daws being the starter for the remainder of the year.

Gillies isn’t going anywhere. Daws is the only goalie allowed to go back to the AHL.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
@NJDevs26

Were you at the game? I know you seem to attend quite a bit of games among posters here

Were the boos at the end of regulation for the missed call or were they the fans showing displeasure at the quick 4 goal blown lead?

They were booing the team.

Reactions: Bleedred

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sadly I wasn't too far off...the Devils' team save percentage is now a robust .884

NHL leaguewide save percentages in the '80's ranged from .873 to .880 per year, if it wasn't for Daws having a few good games at the Rock we'd be right at that level.

I will point out that Detroit has .885 SV% and Seattle is .878 and all but 3-4 games were played by both of their starters.

And Seattle just gave Grubauer a 6 year/5.9m deal and Driedger a 3 year/3.5m deal to get that. So that makes me feel better.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gillies isn’t going anywhere. Daws is the only goalie allowed to go back to the AHL.
This was an error on my part. I typed Gillies instead of Daws. Daws is who I meant when I posted about Hammond being needed so Gillies could go back to the AHL.

I’m sure that’s not the first time I’ve done that haha.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's always out there when things get ugly. He's not Ty Smith bad on defense but he certainly isn't far behind him. Thing is Smith is smaller and alot less experienced. I'm sorry but Severson is pretty much the finished product of what he will be as a player.
Severson plays 23:40 leads the team in total ice time by +2:30, so he’s out there a lot, particularly in tough moments, not just “when things get ugly”.

Smith plays 17:08 and is sheltered third pairing defenseman.

Sorry but using +/- and, I don’t know, the “eye test”?, without considering usage or pairing or competition, or any useful stats, is sketchy as f***.

Reactions: Hisch13r

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I agree that he's a finished product, but that finished product is a top 4 defenseman that is a positive on the ice most of the time, but makes mistakes that some people constantly harp on while ignoring the good things he does most of the time.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This team isn’t going anywhere under the Shero failure Tom Fitzgerald and his slow to react ass.
:thumbu:

after every loss we should trade one roster player regardless of the return. the strategy is called revolving door. can't be any less effective. :skeptic:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
"Regardless of how bad the goalie is" ?

That's interesting because, to me at least, the level of the goalie behind you ABSOLUTELY impacts your capacity to not give up leads.

What are they supposed to do, not allow any shots to the potential 2022 Stanley Cup winning Florida Panthers? That's not realistic. Most of the goals scored on us in the third weren't a result of a defensive breakdown or a huge mistake, they were mostly shots from the outside that an NHL caliber goaltender stops.

Our team isn't perfect and we have things to tweak and work on for SURE, goaltending isn't the ONLY thing (although it's definitely the biggest problem). I have a hard time getting on them too much when we put 6 on the board and most of the goals scored on us were perimeter shots that are usually stopped.
block every shot

ok, if you can't block it, you screen your goalie and .... :badidea:

• Haha
Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad