Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire John Marino for Ty Smith & a 2023 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Solid hockey trade. Addresses the defense which, at the risk of bleeding a war from another thread here, definitely impacted the poor goaltending. Now we're getting far more balanced with Smith2 and Marino. We have a lot of offense-first D. This helps.

I was in love with the idea of trading Smith1 for a Necas or similar, since I think our forward depth is still a few years from really hitting it, but Marino is a great pick up. Pens must have needed offense from the back line.

Only gripe - I hate losing the 3rd. Couldn't Pittsburgh have tossed in a 4th or something to help balance it a touch? I know draft position doesn't really matter, but it smarts that a 1st round guy can't get a 6th round guy even up.

IF anything it shows how his value plummeted in year 2. I still believe in Ty Smith and think he can be a solid if unspectacular player in this league and wish him the very best.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Why does this mean Severson is going? I know he is UFA next year, but the team clearly want to compete next year. They need three good pairs. I think this was more about cutting bait on Smith and getting value for him.

That’s not to say they are going to re-sign Sevs. But I could see them playing out the deal let him walk and let Nemac take his spot next year.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Embarrassment of Riches.

Hamilton, Siegenthaler, Severson, Graves, Marino, Smith2. Probably still room for one of Okhotiouk, Bahl, or Nemec to make the team - maybe even two of, if Smith is really Geertson's replacement.

With the D upgrades, and the coaching upgrades, and the goaltending upgrades... this team could surprise you next year.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t think they trade Sevo yet and then depending on the situation at the deadline they either keep him or trade him. If we’re doing really well and in a playoff spot they keep him for the playoffs.

If we’re maybe a bit outside and/or Nemec has gotten an opportunity due to injuries and looks capable then they may trade him at the deadline.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I’ll admit I don’t know anything about this guy but man it’s crazy few years ago everyone on here thought smith was the best d man in that first round. Now he’s gone. Can’t always believe the hype around draft picks
Another one of those guys that the “scouts” swear up and down has good skating and the guy was in mud every time he stepped on the ice. Just like Larsson. I seriously have no idea how so-called professional scouts get a trait like that so wrong.

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Nice deal, like everyone else, I assume this means Severson is leaving which I don't necessarily agree with, but Marino is about as good of a fit as you can get for a replacement

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This also lets us not rush Nemac and let him develop a bit more in the AHL. I'm sure he could've made a good push to make it, but between (likely) playing 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL or (likely) top pairing minutes in the AHL, I think the latter would be more beneficial.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don’t think they trade Sevo yet and then depending on the situation at the deadline they either keep him or trade him. If we’re doing really well and in a playoff spot they keep him for the playoffs.

If we’re maybe a bit outside and/or Nemec has gotten an opportunity due to injuries and looks capable then they may trade him at the deadline.
Trade him and sometbing else for legit top line talent

Reactions: SempreMilan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad