• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Feels a bit odd to be talking about which bottom 6 fwd to protect but it’s kind of cool at the same time. Personally, fan of all three players (Mikey, Nate, Kuok) and their roles on the team now and potentially in the future. No idea who to protect but I doubt Fitz would have to pay too much if he wanted to pay off the Krak to keep them unless they’re really enamored with whoever gets exposed. I think they all stay with little fanfare. My sunny side take.

On an odder note: had a dream this weekend where Nate Bastian was dating the actress Zendaya and we were having dinner. They gave me a ride home, she drove, somewhere in Bloomfield, NJ.

No idea why her, haven’t watch her in anything or thought about her at all since the last Spider-Man, but Nate, probably from all the recent “expose or not expose” him talk. And I was nowhere near NJ at the time. You guys are my alibi, ok?

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I think there is a lot of sentiment similar to yours. We want to keep Bastian.

I've mentioned it a couple times, but I'd look to pay Seattle to take Butcher or Johnsson, guys who they may find more attractive anyway.
I’m not a fan of paying Seattle to take someone. The way I see it is our top 9 wingers in a year or two will be 6 of the following group: Holtz, Foote, Bratt, Zacha, Mercer, Sharangovich, Koukannen, Thompson, Clarke and possibly a veteran addition by Fitz or another prospect that comes out of nowhere/drafted this year. Maybe Mercer projects as 3C if they don’t keep him on the wing, but that still leaves us with a glut of wingers.

I’m probably too old school and feel like we need a good checking/banging fourth line, but Nate checks a box that this team desperately needs. We’re too soft and easy to push around against the bigger teams and, while our future d prospects look like they’ll be bigger and meaner than our current group, we need someone like Nate to keep the Tom Wilson’s of the world in check.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’m not a fan of paying Seattle to take someone. The way I see it is our top 9 wingers in a year or two will be 6 of the following group: Holtz, Foote, Bratt, Zacha, Mercer, Sharangovich, Koukannen, Thompson, Clarke and possibly a veteran addition by Fitz or another prospect that comes out of nowhere/drafted this year. Maybe Mercer projects as 3C if they don’t keep him on the wing, but that still leaves us with a glut of wingers.

I’m probably too old school and feel like we need a good checking/banging fourth line, but Nate checks a box that this team desperately needs. We’re too soft and easy to push around against the bigger teams and, while our future d prospects look like they’ll be bigger and meaner than our current group, we need someone like Nate to keep the Tom Wilson’s of the world in check.
So why not pay a 4th, which at it's best you hope turns into a Nate type player 5 years from now, to make sure you keep him?

Plus the bro factor that I mention in the team thread.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I’ve been torn between Bastian and Kuok as being exposed to Seattle in expansion, but I’ve come to the conclusion I want to protect Nate.
I’m really loving the chemistry the Wood-Mikey-Nate line has and they can change the momentum of the game. I know people have said that Nate is a dime-a-dozen player, but I think the chemistry he and his BFF have is a little understated.
Although I like what Kuok has done, I feel like our pipeline is loaded with better alternatives such as Foote, Mercer, Clarke, Thompson and obviously Holtz.
I agree. I am a fan of what both McLeod and bastian can bring to this team. I would protect both players over wood and kuokanen. I know many wouldn’t. It would be nice to pay Seattle to take johnsson or butcher... that would be ideal. If we can’t, then I’m exposing one of wood or kuokanen and protecting McLeod and bastian.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Apart from that, if you’re not sold on Kuokkanen or think we have too many playmaking wingers just flip him, you don’t have to lose him for nothing.

Expansion draft being what it is, how many teams can add a forward and not lose one of the same caliber as Kuokkanen and trade something of similar value back to NJ? I presume finding a trading partner will be difficult. I expect NJ will likely have to bite the bullet and just expose whoever they have to and hope that SEA chooses Butcher or Johnsson.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Expansion draft being what it is, how many teams can add a forward and not lose one of the same caliber as Kuokkanen and trade something of similar value back to NJ? I presume finding a trading partner will be difficult. I expect NJ will likely have to bite the bullet and just expose whoever they have to and hope that SEA chooses Butcher or Johnsson.

You can always find a taker for a winger on a 40 point pace in his age 22 season. The Sharks found a taker for Mirco Mueller before the last expansion draft.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
McLeod has played some tough minutes this season but he's still poor territorially - he's obviously playing 3rd line minutes now, but he should not be thought of as a 3rd line center. Just too many holes in his game. I think I'd gamble and expose him over Bastian.

Centers are harder to find then wings.....Want to keep both but I think McLeod has the higher chance of being selected by Seattle so I would protect him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad