3 of something

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
5, 13,17 Both 86 and 37 were fine choices but I thought I would spread the wealth particularly since Tonight’s Attending Media screwed Carrick out of his third star. Let the dude throws some pucks! Who knows what happens to him next year? Monsters.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
McLeod, Hughes, Zacha
McLeod turning into a top rate pugilist has been quite the pleasant surprise.

Really softens the blow of him not being a top rate offensive player. Face off prowess as well. Really like his game, very much an intangible player which provides a great complement to the higher end offensive players on the team.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

Really softens the blow of him not being a top rate offensive player. Face off prowess as well. Really like his game, very much an intangible player which provides a great complement to the higher end offensive players on the team.
Even not being the most offensive guy he's still on pace for 14 goals in a full season and when you consider everything he brings that's a hell of a 4th line center. Very nice to see, maybe he can be a Scott Laughton type which we would all be thrilled with.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Even not being the most offensive guy he's still on pace for 14 goals in a full season and when you consider everything he brings that's a hell of a 4th line center. Very nice to see, maybe he can be a Scott Laughton type which we would all be thrilled with.
I see him more as a 3rd liner. That is his role now, and while you can say "that's on a bad team" I think he will grow along with the team and be a good 3rd line guy going fwd.

And I note his fighting above, but it really is his overall physical game, whether it's dropping a strong player like Couturier on a 50/50 hit, or blasting Zibanejad early in the season(in each case backing up those hits by then beating up the guy who came in defense), but he's a big physical guy, hard worker, good skater, with a ton of speed and defensive smarts. That's a great base to work off of, and I think the offensive game will grow off of that base.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
McLeod has played some tough minutes this season but he's still poor territorially - he's obviously playing 3rd line minutes now, but he should not be thought of as a 3rd line center. Just too many holes in his game. I think I'd gamble and expose him over Bastian.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

I’ve been torn between Bastian and Kuok as being exposed to Seattle in expansion, but I’ve come to the conclusion I want to protect Nate.
I’m really loving the chemistry the Wood-Mikey-Nate line has and they can change the momentum of the game. I know people have said that Nate is a dime-a-dozen player, but I think the chemistry he and his BFF have is a little understated.
Although I like what Kuok has done, I feel like our pipeline is loaded with better alternatives such as Foote, Mercer, Clarke, Thompson and obviously Holtz.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I’ve been torn between Bastian and Kuok as being exposed to Seattle in expansion, but I’ve come to the conclusion I want to protect Nate.
I’m really loving the chemistry the Wood-Mikey-Nate line has and they can change the momentum of the game. I know people have said that Nate is a dime-a-dozen player, but I think the chemistry he and his BFF have is a little understated.
Although I like what Kuok has done, I feel like our pipeline is loaded with better alternatives such as Foote, Mercer, Clarke, Thompson and obviously Holtz.
In no scenario would I ever expose Kuokkanen. Seattle takes him 100% if he is.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
McLeod has played some tough minutes this season but he's still poor territorially - he's obviously playing 3rd line minutes now, but he should not be thought of as a 3rd line center. Just too many holes in his game. I think I'd gamble and expose him over Bastian.
Expose McLeod? No way. Too many holes? Just not seeing it.

And McLeod has played ridiculously tough minutes, offensive faceoff rate in the 20's I think. I think Hughes would have good #'s anyways but he's in the 60's in terms of offensive faceoffs. Unfair to compare the 2 players corsi #'s.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think it is kind of close between the two, I'd def protect Kouk on pure on ice ability, but I think Blender is right in that Seattlle would surely take Kouk, where as Bastian could slip through, and that is significant.

What would it take to pay off Seattle to take Butch or Johnsson?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

And McLeod has played ridiculously tough minutes, offensive faceoff rate in the 20's I think. I think Hughes would have good #'s anyways but he's in the 60's in terms of offensive faceoffs. Unfair to compare the 2 players corsi #'s.

How can you 'not see it'? McLeod is poor positionally and struggles to carry the puck. He's got size and speed and he's managed to score some goals this year, but he has enormous limitations. Love what he did to Couturier last night, and that's the thing - you can see the package of skills that led him to be drafted high, but there's just limited instincts and too much wasted energy. I just can't see him figuring it out, though, there's just too many things to fix.

He's been a poor terrtorial player throughout his career, hasn't changed this year. Zone start is a minor component of territoriality - most shifts begin on the fly or in the neutral zone.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I always believed that McLeod could be a faster Zajac. He needs to be a bit better/faster at decision making though. There were a few times last night where he flat out just made a bad pass when he easily could have chipped it out.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think it is kind of close between the two, I'd def protect Kouk on pure on ice ability, but I think Blender is right in that Seattlle would surely take Kouk, where as Bastian could slip through, and that is significant.

What would it take to pay off Seattle to take Butch or Johnsson?
Kuokkanen is playing at a 0.5 point per game pace as a rookie and is workhorse with very good advanced stats. We'd be insane to ever expose him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How can you 'not see it'? McLeod is poor positionally and struggles to carry the puck. He's got size and speed and he's managed to score some goals this year, but he has enormous limitations. Love what he did to Couturier last night, and that's the thing - you can see the package of skills that led him to be drafted high, but there's just limited instincts and too much wasted energy. I just can't see him figuring it out, though, there's just too many things to fix.

He's been a poor terrtorial player throughout his career, hasn't changed this year. Zone start is a minor component of territoriality - most shifts begin on the fly or in the neutral zone.
Zone starts may be a minor component when comparing guys who are 55% vs 45%. It's not a minor component when a guy has more then 2x's as many defensive zone faceoffs as offensive.

Conversely, a guy like Hughes, who is not good in the faceoff dot, if he is taking 2x as many defensive faceoffs, as opposed to currently being near 2x as many offensive faceoffs, certainly his corsi #'s would not be as good.

Additionally, according to puckIQ McLeod also plays 44% of his minutes against elite comp,(and has a ozone faceoff rate of 25% against elite comp). Where as Hughes is at 29%(55% ozone rate). This skews the #'s as well. See McLeod's 43% corsi vs Elite comp, while 52% vs lower level comp. So when I see Hughes at an overall corsi of 57% and McLeod at 47%, I'm recognizing those #'s are heavily skewed.

And am I saying McLeod is a complete player, of course not, I'm saying he could grow into a good 3rd line Center. But I mentioned what he brings above, speed, physicality, hustle, face offs, defensive play and yeah fighting ability. He checks a lot of boxes.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I like all three, it’s a tough decision for me. McLeod is a fourth liner right now but he’s turning into above average one already with a lot of intangibles and since he just turned 23 I’m curious what he does with a full normal season. I kind of love Bastian, he’s a smart strong player with both good defensive and offensive instincts, he works hard, and he pairs well with McLeod and others. It would suck to lose him but in the end McLeod is a center and it’s his line. Bastian is a complimentary checking winger, he’s rounding into an excellent one, but I would keep McLeod over him. His physical play is tough to lose, it’s his key feature obviously, Maltsev is huge too but he’s just not a hitter, he uses his size to protect the puck. (I mean, Mikhail could at least hit a little more lol.)

I wouldn’t want to lose Kuokkanen though, even though his “playmaking winger” aspect will annoy when more goals would be nice he has legit middle winger offensive and defensive skills, particularly as a forechecker. I think he’s about to turn into a very cheap productive middle six forward and I don’t know if you can give that away to keep Bastian. He just compliments lines well and if it gets more crowded at winger he’ll have real trade value with more of a scoring track record. (Fitz should get him under a cheap multiyear deal, he’s worth the risk and it would be a good value contract, I will be pissed if he gives him a dumb one year show me deal.) I see an argument for all three players though. (Mainly because I have a soft spot for Bastian who is arguably the obvious choice lol.)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I like all three, it’s a tough decision for me. McLeod is a fourth liner right now but he’s turning into above average one already with a lot of intangibles and since he just turned 23 I’m curious what he does with a full normal season. I kind of love Bastian, he’s a smart strong player with both good defensive and offensive instincts, he works hard, and he pairs well with McLeod and others. It would suck to lose him but in the end McLeod is a center and it’s his line. Bastian is a complimentary checking winger, he’s rounding into an excellent one, but I would keep McLeod over him. His physical play is tough to lose, it’s his key feature obviously, Maltsev is huge too but he’s just not a hitter, he uses his size to protect the puck. (I mean, Mikhail could at least hit a little more lol.)

I wouldn’t want to lose Kuokkanen though, even though his “playmaking winger” aspect will annoy when more goals would be nice he has legit middle winger offensive and defensive skills, particularly as a forechecker. I think he’s about to turn into a very cheap productive middle six forward and I don’t know if you can give that away to keep Bastian. He just compliments lines well and if it gets more crowded at winger he’ll have real trade value with more of a scoring track record. (Fitz should get him under a cheap multiyear deal, he’s worth the risk and it would be a good value contract, I will be pissed if he gives him a dumb one year show me deal.) I see an argument for all three players though. (Mainly because I have a soft spot for Bastian who is arguably the obvious choice lol.)
I think there is a lot of sentiment similar to yours. We want to keep Bastian.

I've mentioned it a couple times, but I'd look to pay Seattle to take Butcher or Johnsson, guys who they may find more attractive anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad