Post-Game Talk: Devils 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
C'mon this was not about losing rather about not showing up to play . We all know 82-0 is hard to do but would 80-2 be too tough to ask for??
But the issue is these type of non effort, les misrable games are happening too often for a team with cup aspirations

6a01116888abb7970c01b7c7b0a85c970b-600wi.jpg

[Insert GDT inspiration sound effect here]

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
As for the arguments of needing to be consistent, the vast number of playoff series that go to seven games kind of suggests that the 'consistency' being asked for just isn't possible. 40% is a big number.

Honestly, I'd be inclined to point the finger first and foremost at special teams given A. we outscored at 5-on-5 and B. our special teams have been bad all year. A top team should not have bottom-quartile PK and PP over most of a season. I'd have to think (well, *hope* really) that the team will be working hard on that down the stretch.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nashville would be a very scary team to play in the playoffs. I believe, out of their last 15 games, they've won most of them. They would be a very tough out for the Jets, and no walk in the park, for whatever team plays them. I don't know "exactly" how many games in a row they won, but it's quite a few. Haven't checked any stats, just listening to sports broadcasters, saying how well their doing. They beat the Jets quite easy.
Agreed. I’ve never been one of those who believed we need first. Just get there healthy and rested. We have to get through the same 3 teams in our division no matter if we are first second or third. Momentum in the playoffs takes on its own life often in stark contrast how a regular season ends for a team.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Re: hand-wringing after a loss

Jets have 20 losses this year. Only 3 teams have fewer. 5 teams have the same number

I feel like when we lose to a team like Dallas, a certain number of people will say "we're not contenders, we can't beat playoff teams". But if we lose to New Jersey, people will say "we can't bear teams lower than us in the standings, we're not contenders"

Exactly who are we supposed to lose to? Or are we not supposed to ever lose?

As for not playing well... it happens to every team. If you think it's not going to happen to the Jets, you're delusional. It's normal, relax

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nothing wrong with that at all. I like to vent as well when the Jets play like crap. When the Jets play well and win, I'm happy and generally not even thinking about HFBoards.

I am the opposite so we compliment each other well.

In real life when I feel sick I want to be left alone and my wife is the opposite.

When I vent I feel worse.

When the team sucks like last night the last place I want to be is this place. It is tough enough after winz lately. I like to wallow in joy and move on as fast as possible when I am pissed off.

I use to bartend for years and you get the type that like a drink when they are having a rough day, and the folks who want to drink when they are having a good day. Of course there is third type that drink all the time no matter what the mood. :laugh:

Different strokes

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
That was an absolute stinker.

Don't agree with people who said it was a special teams loss, we stunk 5v5 too Larry Bro was just very good.

Do think we've gotten away from the type of game that was so successful in the middle of the season where we were winning tight checking games. Not sure why that is really.

On to the next.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Special teams are going to have to be cleaned up heading into the playoffs, the pp is not what is should be with talent on this team and pk is way to passive. Last night couldn't hit the net on the pp and couldn't clear the zone on the pk.

Reactions: Jets 31
Nov 24, 2006
Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.

The Central is nuts with three teams locked at 93 points, but damn, Nashville has been crushing it lately. The race to the end will be something.

Looking forward to a better game on Saturday.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In terms of the powerplay, Toffoli isn't Vilardi in that spot, that's for sure.

I mean he's a triggerman and should be used as one to get the most out of him.

I'd like him on unit two with Perfetti feeding him one timers.

I think it's time to put complimentary players together on two strong units and give thr hotter unit more of the ice time.

Anyhow the playoffs will really show us who this team is. It's looking like there will be no easy outs. The players are going to have to show that they are up to the task.

Reactions: GNP

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
In terms of the powerplay, Toffoli isn't Vilardi in that spot, that's for sure.
Toffoli was doing weird stuff there, it was mass confusion, we had two guys trying to be in the same spot at times. I'm liking his goal production but really questioning the hockey IQ.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I mean if my calling out people like yourself that only comes here to complain and ignores this place when winning bothers you then you know you can also block me? that is another option.

there is a bunch of people that criticize how the jets play and I don't quote them, they also come here and post when things are going good
I have to say, pgts after going through and 'cleaning up' your feed are a lot easier to read. Mysteriously, all the people who just come here to bitch after a loss have POOF DISAPPEARED

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Can't say the reason was travel distance, time between games or start time for this one. It was just a sub par effort for more than half the contest.

Winnipeg is in a division race between Colorado and Dallas and neither team is going to do them any favors. The Jets have arguably the toughest remaining schedule and there isn't a lot of runway left.

I'm not angry, nor am I worried, I just want the division title. I don't particularly care about the first round match up. Dallas likely isn't favorable but ultimately, it would be nice to see something other than a string of 0's when you check out the Jets Wikipedia page.

The playoffs have already started as far as I'm concerned. Win 1 Lose 1 is good enough to take a series if you strike first. It's not going to be good enough to finish first in the Central.

If they don't, it's not the end of the world, and no, my expectation wasn't for them to do so at the start of the season. They're right in the thick of it though, they also had a big games in hand advantage at one point. Now that they have a chance at topping the division, I crave it. I'll have the same carnal desire emerge, if not a more ravenous one, the deeper the Jets go in the playoffs. I guess it is fair to say that new expectations can come with new circumstances.

The time for playing consistent hockey has got to be soon, if not now. It should be an interesting weekend.

Ehlers had a beauty.

Can't fault LB.

Jake Allen is a prick.
But, the playoffs HAVEN'T started.

You can want the Jets to win the division (I do too) but playing a series of different teams with different levels of motivation is nothing like a playoff series.

The Jets have been home and cooled forever, and yes, winning the division is a bit of a motivator but it's hardly the same as trying to snag a wildcard spot (jersey) or winning a playoff game.

I get the sense this Jets team will have no problem playing their style in the playoffs, consistently, against strong opponents. We won't know if I'm right or not til the post season starts

The Hurricanes hold the best record since the break at 16-5. The Jets have the 6th best record since the break.

Not too shabby! What do some of you people expect?
We also beat those hurricanes recently

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Special teams are going to have to be cleaned up heading into the playoffs, the pp is not what is should be with talent on this team and pk is way to passive. Last night couldn't hit the net on the pp and couldn't clear the zone on the pk.
I think they're heading in the right direction, and I think the player adds have helped.

I'd love to see the Jets special teams ranks post asb. We were near the bottom for half the season in both, but 21st in both prior to last night. That's a significant climb.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I think they're heading in the right direction, and I think the player adds have helped.

I'd love to see the Jets special teams ranks post asb. We were near the bottom for half the season in both, but 21st in both prior to last night. That's a significant climb.
They definitely have had some better games on the teams after the asb but last night was a disaster. A goal on the pp and a kill or two and the result might of been different.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They definitely have had some better games on the teams after the asb but last night was a disaster. A goal on the pp and a kill or two and the result might of been different.
Oh yeah no doubt! The first one sucked - we were seconds from killing it.

I do like that the PP is far more fluid, that will serve us well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Post asb we are still bottom 10 in scoring chance generation on the pp. This has been offset by us converting 26% of our shots which is good enough for third in the league since then.

I'd expect our finishing to regress unless we start generating more chances.

Reactions: kellhunter

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Post asb we are still bottom 10 in scoring chance generation on the pp. This has been offset by us converting 26% of our shots which is good enough for third in the league since then.

I'd expect our finishing to regress unless we start generating more chances.
So third in the league! Great!

I don't really bother with the scoring chance generation data because I don't know how it's compiled, by whom, or it's scientific soundness.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So third in the league! Great!

I don't really bother with the scoring chance generation data because I don't know how it's compiled, by whom, or it's scientific soundness.

Yeah it's hard to know. I think it says something, how much is up for interpretation.

I'm just basing it on the facr that for most of the year our pp hasn't been great and neither were our metrics. Now our pp is running hot but the metrics are still not great. Is this just a hot streak, or is there something else that hasn't been properly caught in the metrics.

We shall see over the final dozen games.

Edit:
Also sample size is only 8 games, so not really large enough to form a solid opinion.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah it's hard to know. I think it says something, how much is up for interpretation.

I'm just basing it on the facr that for most of the year our pp hasn't been great and neither were our metrics. Now our pp is running hot but the metrics are still not great. Is this just a hot streak, or is there something else that hasn't been properly caught in the metrics.

We shall see over the final dozen games.

Edit:
Also sample size is only 8 games, so not really large enough to form a solid opinion.
Agreed on all points!

I know eye test blah blah blah but what I've seen is a lot more movement on the PP and possession time which correlates with our improvement.

As for PK, I think we are more aggressive when appropriate, and we've done better at clearing the puck when we get the chance (last night notwithstanding).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad