Post-Game Talk: Devils 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Listen, I’m never going to be “that” fan that hates on my Jets bros and sisters who cheer for the same team that I cheer for. So I get where you’re coming from or where another fan upset with the outcome is coming from. I want a W like you, like anyone who cheers on the same team I do.

Ultimately we all want to see the team do well and play as consistent as possible

This wasn’t a great game for the jets - I think anyone even the most stoic fan will feel some discontentment with a loss even if it’s a hard fought loss. We want to see the team win

But

For some it’s always “the Jets played poorly” and never looking at the job the other team did, or acknowledging where things went wrong, only berating them…that’s not a realistic take. I had felt similarly at times earlier this year and I had to take a step back and reflect on why I had such dynamic feelings, even had to rewatch some games, and realize where I was wrong and have since accepted a season isn’t going to be perfect, down to the very end. The Jets are going to lose some games in the playoffs, some of those might be stinkers (we hope not but sometimes the momentum isn’t with us)

I watched the last canucks stinker live, I spent $200 to the canucks org to watch their team
Beat down my team. But games like that will happen. The previous game we took it to them. Other “contenders” have laid goose eggs or have had periods of inconsistency, it happens to not just the Jets

This game wasn’t a blowout - there were a lot of weird puck bounces, bad passes, and ultimately special teams is was really decided the game. Their PK didn’t clear the zone. Gave the devils too much time. People forget how much high end skill is on the devils team.

Now, to say “make it seem like fan a or b is crazy”, if your position in the same paragraph is “a little bit worried” and stressing the team is “VERY” inconsistent, I don’t think that is a balanced perspective. It isn’t one that reflects - I mean objectively reflects - a team fighting for first in a tough division.

It also doesn’t give any respect to the team across from them. Sometimes the other team is just better, and the devils have many players I would love to have on the Jets that showed up and played well for their team tonight.

One needs to keep expectations in reality with an nhl season. Stressing “VERY” inconsistent play is simply not true. You’re still talking about a top team, and you also probably don’t watch other nhl top teams enough either - this is not something the Jets are singular in doing. It happens to Boston it happens to New York rangers it happens to the canucks it even happens to the avalanche and the stars. Preds recently have been on a tear but they have looked downright bad at times earlier this year.

My point stands, and I’m sorry if you disagree with it. People really come out swinging hard with these losses and they’re not usually as bad as people claim.

Look at the winning PGTs - they’re empty. Where are the same fans coming out celebrating the win?

I say with all due respect as a fellow fan - if yours or any fans’ position was you’re a tad bit worried and there’s some inconsistencies in their play, at times, we’d agree on that (I do however disagree with “VERY inconsistent”)….If your stance is one that can see that they had some bad bounces or some plays didn’t connect or they whiffed on pucks or they tried too hard to make the perfect play or some other uncharacteristic play (I say uncharacteristic because if you look at the games the Jets have won, and given they have won more games than they have lost this season, you can see what their “characteristic” traits are), we’d agree on that. In this case, the Devils were one of the best teams last year. This year they were letdown only by goaltending. they still have very high end talent and they are not an easy W; they should not be expected to be an easy W. take away the special teams, despite the shot volume, this would’ve been a lot closer of a game. Our players know they didn’t play their best, just listen to the post game interviews.

And - Even if the Jets were the best team in the league, they could still be the Boston Bruins of last year in the first round. Nothing is guaranteed. even with the loss today, this is still one of the better Jets teams we as fans have ever had the pleasure of watching; we can’t lose sight of that either …
To sum it up. It is never as bad as it seems; never as good as it seems and only one team wins the cup so we should roll with the punches!

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
This is team inconsistent. This is why they will get bounced in the playoffs unless they admit this was a scheduled loss because they all got wrecked in NYC after the win
I’m not sure how they can be labelled inconsistent while having the best winning percentage in the west and being 3rd overall.

The opposite is true, the Jets game screams consistency. Sadly for Jets fans there’s parody in the NHL.

Last edited:

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I’m not sure how they can be labelled inconsistent while having the best winning percentage in the west and being 3rd overall.

The opposite is true, the Jets game screams consistency. Sadly for Jets fans there’s parody the NHL.
They are 13-8 since the all star break, which is average. When they lose it is typically because they fail to show up and they have rarely played as well as they did back in December.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
C'mon this was not about losing rather about not showing up to play . We all know 82-0 is hard to do but would 80-2 be too tough to ask for??
But the issue is these type of non effort, les misrable games are happening too often for a team with cup aspirations
You'll note that apparently only 3 or 4 teams in the entire league "show up to play" more often than us

82 games is a f***ing grind

I guess you never have a bad day at work

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
So on arguably the toughest trip of the season we have 4/6 points, that's not to shabby, I said at the beginning 5-7pts. would be an excellent road trip, almost there
1 out of 5 teams on this road trip are actually in the Playoffs yet here you are claiming its the toughest? C’mon man.

Reactions: Atoyot

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

The opposite is true, the Jets game screams consistency. Sadly for Jets fans there’s parody the NHL.
The mistake that people make when they over-react about our inconsistency is that they assume that every other team is consistent, which is completely false

If the best teams were consistently awesome, they'd be miles ahead of us in the standings

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Looks like the Eastern Conference also got the memo on the playbook to handle the Jets with home ice advantage. Match up your best offensive line against the Jets top line- and basically a guarantee that you'll come out ahead in the scoring chances. The Devils coach did not even try to deploy his top line against our 2nd 3rd or 4th lines despite having home ice lol. This is the biggest question mark for this team going into the playoffs and they need to find a solution to get more out of their 16-17 mins a night at 5v5 players, if it is not Ehlers then they have to consider killing some sacred cows like breaking up that 3rd line or trying someone like Barron or Perfetti up there.
The top line was pretty good in the Rags game -

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Nashville would be a very scary team to play in the playoffs. I believe, out of their last 15 games, they've won most of them. They would be a very tough out for the Jets, and no walk in the park, for whatever team plays them. I don't know "exactly" how many games in a row they won, but it's quite a few. Haven't checked any stats, just listening to sports broadcasters, saying how well their doing. They beat the Jets quite easy.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
They are 13-8 since the all star break, which is average. When they lose it is typically because they fail to show up and they have rarely played as well as they did back in December.
The Hurricanes hold the best record since the break at 16-5. The Jets have the 6th best record since the break.

Not too shabby! What do some of you people expect?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Human nature takes hold even on a hockey forum, we get way to high when we win and way to low when we lose. This team at the beginning of the season was penciled in by most as a WC team and yet we are fighting for first. Personally I thought the Jets would in tough to even get a WC spot so what they've done so far is more than exceptional to me.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Outshot by Devils, Jersey at their best, nothing to see here folks..
Yea, a healthyish NJ team is still a very very good hockey team. That top 6 they have, even without Toffoli, is super nasty. Their goaltending before getting Allen, cost them at least 10-12 points in the standings. Even with the injuries they have had, including to their defense as of late and missing their best Dman in Hamilton (since the end of Nov), they would easily be in the third spot in the Metro if the had gotten a goalie earlier. Considering all that, it's actualyl ridiclous they are still as close as they are to a playoff spot and have even a slight chance of making it.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So 93 points means the top three in the Central are all tied up, Jets still have a game in hand on the Stars. This fight is still going to go right down to the last week of the season.
Well the Stars have the easier path only 4 tough games while Avs have 7 tough games and the Jets have the most with 8 tough games but the good thing Jets play both the Avs and Stars once.
Seriously I don't think it matters where any of these 3 teams place with the way the Preds are playing all four teams will be playing 2 tough series to get out of the central.

Reactions: GNP and Buffdog

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
C'mon this was not about losing rather about not showing up to play . We all know 82-0 is hard to do but would 80-2 be too tough to ask for??
But the issue is these type of non effort, les misrable games are happening too often for a team with cup aspirations
Do you really think going 80-2 isn't too much to ask for ? Come on Dude. The most wins EVER in a NHL season is 65 , and that's only been done 1 time in NHL history. The next most is 62 . The NHL has alot of close teams because of the salary cap, it's not easy to win games .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad