Post-Game Talk: Devils 3 - Islander 0: The Bernier and Hedberg Story

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol word for word this is the stuff people were saying about Marty in January last year when the benching thread popped up. And then Marty took the team to the Finals.

He's not sitting, end of discussion. Hedberg isn't keeping up a .980 save percentage if he starts playing every game, just like Marty wasn't keeping up his .980 after the first two games. And the last two games really weren't Marty's fault anyway, what bad goals was he giving up other than the dopey mistake in OT against the Isles (which is sometimes going to happen when you play the puck every thirty seconds)?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Hedberg had an even strength save percentage .08 higher than Brodeur in 11-12 and 10-11 and .03 worse in 09-10. (PP and PK sv% vary pretty wildly and show little correlation year to year, implying they have more to do with the team than the goalie).

Things point to him simply been stopping pucks better than Marty lately, though I would obviously love more data to confirm this, especially from Moose.

Yup.

Nothing wrong with giving Hedberg a bigger workload. That doesn't mean "bench" Marty permanently, just increase Hedberg's turns in the rotation for a bit and see how it goes.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
lol word for word this is the stuff people were saying about Marty in January last year when the benching thread popped up. And then Marty took the team to the Finals.

He's not sitting, end of discussion. Hedberg isn't keeping up a .980 save percentage if he starts playing every game, just like Marty wasn't keeping up his .980 after the first two games. And the last two games really weren't Marty's fault anyway, what bad goals was he giving up other than the dopey mistake in OT against the Isles (which is sometimes going to happen when you play the puck every thirty seconds)?

All some are suggesting is that Hedberg should get some more starts for a while and see how it goes.

Not sure why people have such an issue with that suggestion.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nothing wrong with giving them a more even workload. This is the reason we all wanted Moose back this year, he provides us equal level goaltending as the backup. He could end up playing well into his 40s I feel like, he has not had to hold the workload that Marty has his entire career.

apice3*

I have felt safer with Moose in net pretty much ever since he got here. His style of play is just better than Brodeur's in today's NHL. His lateral movement is incredible for a 40 year old.

The only time I had the feeling that Brodeur was unbeatable was in last year's playoffs. I would watch games and truly felt that there was no way a team was going to score 5v5 on Brodeur.

I've said it before, Brodeur's best is better than Hedberg's best so we need Brodeur for the playoffs, but Hedberg's workload should be increased.

apice3*

Also, that Grabner breakaway is just more proof that Kovy should not be on the point.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Agreed. Depth made the Devils successful at the end of last season.

Josefson is the one that frustrates me the most though. With a killer instinct he would a legit top 6 center. There's improvement, he's starting to own the neutral zone with his skating for example, but once the blue line is crossed, he's soft and undecided with the puck. My concern is that players don't act as scorers at 22. At this age, you're good at that or you're just not.

I want kid to prove me wrong.

He is 22 but he has also never really played a large string of consecutive games due to injury. His development has been delayed because of those injuries...If you look at his stat line he has barely played a full season of hockey: 77 5 15 20 +10.

If you look at that as a 20 point rookie season while being +10 that is not that bad...When you factor in the injuries and the delays he's had to deal with in getting his career started, that is pretty good.

I think a young Devil center stays in the lineup by being solid defensively first and Josefson has done that extremely well. I agree he is going to have to start putting up some numbers but for where he is in his development I don't think there is too much to worry about. I like to see him get a full season under his belt before we make a final judgement.

apice3*

I knew Josefson wasn't that experienced but I wasn't aware he hasn't even played 82 games yet. That's pretty insane.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Ride the Moose while he is hot.

I completely agree with this however I would not be shocked at all if Marty starts against the Rangers. Personally I think Hedberg should start every game until he loses. It's not that I think Marty has been playing bad...it's just that Moose has been playing unbelievable.

Oroku Saki*

Every player is going to make a mistake here and there. We won 3-0, I'm not gonna nitpick.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In an 8 game rotation, I'd give Marty 5 starts and Moose 3 starts as a general rule. Maybe more if he earns it.

That's 30 for Marty and 18 for Moose over a 48 game season.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm curious how many of Hedberg's starts come on the second game of back-to-backs compared to the first. The Devils, anecdotally of course, seem like they play better in the second game, and I have lots of theories for why that might be.

It's interesting to think whether the Devils play better because Moose is in, or whether Moose looks better because the Devils play better.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

The Moose pitched a shut-out, he deserves the next game.

Oroku Saki*

I'm curious how many of Hedberg's starts come on the second game of back-to-backs compared to the first. The Devils, anecdotally of course, seem like they play better in the second game, and I have lots of theories for why that might be. One of which could obviously be that Moose tends to stop more pucks.

I believe Moose battles for pucks better then Marty. Marty never gives up but he gets caught out of position sometimes and it's too late. Moose always seems like he can fight for a save even though he's sprawled out across the crease.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I believe Moose battles for pucks better then Marty. Marty never gives up but he gets caught out of position sometimes and it's too late. Moose always seems like he can fight for a save even though he's sprawled out across the crease.

While some may disagree, I think the team plays entirely different defensively with Marty in net. He plays the puck like a 3rd Dman so they don't come back as far and that leads to a different breakout style from our zone and less support when the odd mistake happens handling the puck. Moose also is incredible at coming up huge in a cold start where Marty is better playing more. They compliment each other perfectly so I don't see the need to suddenly drag either one out of their zone by messing up that 3:1 ratio of starts.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

You start the goaltender that will give a better shot of winning the game, period. Moose pitched a shutout and by the looks of things, saved our ***** multiple times.

I love Marty but you can't take away the fact that Hedberg played well either and there has to come a time where your track record won't dictate who starts and who sits. I rather go with "what have you done for me lately" when talking about two 40 year old netminders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad