Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I still believe that Jesper Bratt can join Hischier and Hughes as elite offensive talents. He seemed like he was busting out before Covid hit three weeks ago. If that's the case, and if this showcase by Zacha is real (I know, I know) we might be much closer than we thought. I already think this team has more offensive talent than any Devils team since '11-'12.

I appreciate how well Johnsson has played, but I would really like to see Bratt-Hughes-Zacha at some point. I think it could dominate.

Gusev - Hischier - Zacha was my suggestion the other day, but I could see Bratt - Hughes - Zacha being just as electric.

Putting Zacha in a pure shooting role really mitigates most of his deficiencies. If he's floating on a line with Bratt and Jack, odds are he'll find some space to catch a pass and get a quick shot off. All of the opponent's attention will be on Bratt and Jack, anyway. Zacha's "quiet" game and sneaky shot could really complement that dynamic.

As for Johnsson, he'd probably fit right in with Nico and Palmieri. I'm not too worried about him.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think Jack fits that description, but even so this team reminds me how the Blues are built, four fast and solid lines, I don't think there is any reason this team can't reach the top down the road.

Agreed. This style can get you far. But, as evidenced by the rags all those years, getting over the top like this is tougher than when you have a line or two of really high end talent.

xigon

Jun 13, 2019
I’m still waiting for this. has this ever gotten updates?
upload_2021-2-20_11-3-56.jpeg

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I am not sure if the organization disagrees with you with respect to Maltsev and Merkley. They both were not on the opening night roster. Just looking at how they use him, I get the feeling the organization thinks Merkley is an AHL/NHL tweener type. Why worry about the development of a player like that? Maltsev has played all of 3 NHL games due to injuries. They have put him in some tough spots and he is doing something the team needs - he is winning some FOs. I have a hard time believing playing these 3 NHL games has hurt his development.

To me it just seems that you have an issue with Bastian on the team. Ruff seems to like him and he is not projected to be a high production type of player. I doubt it makes any difference to the team long term if Bastian is up a year early.
I was an early fan of Bastian's and still an, so its not anything specific to him

Id say the best way to describe it is I want to make sure its the end of the losing culture (i know we arent losing this year, im speaking to previous seasons). I think Shero buying Grabner and Maroon at the deadline really did a number for everyones confidence back then

Id love to make a similar move but with some term left (2-3 years) like a Johnsson move. More competition never hurt anyone plus it beats simply adding another 18yr old prospect or two who wont be around for 4-5 seasons (since ive referenced moving middle round picks/prospects)

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This tight schedule really f***s with their ability to practice the PP.

It's something that needs practice time to get going. Espcially with so many new faces on it now.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Goose and Murray need to come back tomorrow. Need both in the lineup.

Rango has got to come out. Would take Butcher out too, even though I haven't loved Vatanen so far either.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Game tomorrow is now at 2pm.on NBC as the outdoor game has ice issues and can't be played in the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad