Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I really want to see a McLeod - Wood combo for the PK. might as well scare the other team in terms of our speed.

At this point, what the hell do you have to lose by putting Wood on the PK?

Is he really that inept defensively that he can't play the PK at this point? Have to figure his speed would offset some of that. Ruff trusts Sharangovich, Maltsev and Bastian out there on the PK (going as far as having a Maltsev/Bastian combo out there at the end of a game with a 6 on 4 situation) but Wood doesn't get a lick of PK time? If Kovalchuk was able to adapt to playing on the PK there's got to be some hope for Wood.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Outside of the Hughes line (And by that, I mean Johnsson and Huges and whoever you throw at RW), I'm down for trying anything with the forward lines.

Is he really that inept defensively that he can't play the PK at this point? Have to figure his speed would offset some of that. Ruff trusts Sharangovich, Maltsev and Bastian out there on the PK (going as far as having a Maltsev/Bastian combo out there at the end of a game with a 6 on 4 situation) but Wood doesn't get a lick of PK time? If Kovalchuk was able to adapt to playing on the PK there's got to be some hope for Wood.

I wonder if it's just to limit his minutes. Most of his game is going really fast; maybe it's just to save his energy so he can Sonic the Hedgehog at even strength.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Interesting to see Wood emphasize the shots the team got vs. Buffalo in his presser. That man is well aware of how he will get paid if he gets paid.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Yeah PK has been very underwhelming here, which is a shame because he’s a terrific guy off the ice but unfortunately that doesn’t win games.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
So finish your thought. Are you implying Ruff needs to go?
Unlike a lot of posters, I try to be realistic. Zero chance that happens, so why discuss it?

I made it pretty clear at the time of hire I didn't like Ruff, but obviously he's here for at least 2 years.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I don't know. I'd rather have a guy who is quick and can start stop rather than burning our dragster out on the pk...

But there is something to say about how dangerous he'd be with open ice.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Just dropping in, quick question. What happened to Gusev's point totals?

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Whatever could get Luke Hughes on this team

Though ill always root for wins as that helps the team more than tanking each year

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Those "which UFA should we sign?" discussions, Palmieri or Gusev, seem trivial at the moment. Neither seem likely right now.

To be fair, Palmieri is always streaky throughout a season, but still typically ends up with 25+ goals and 45+points, so it's not like this is new territory for him. Gusev there really isn't much of a track record, but given he was slow to get going last year he may just be a slow starter. Which sucks in a shortened season because you just have less games for guys to get going. If it takes him like 20+ games to get going, that's like a third or more of the season.

Reactions: Darkauron

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
To be fair, Palmieri is always streaky throughout a season, but still typically ends up with 25+ goals and 45+points, so it's not like this is new territory for him. Gusev there really isn't much of a track record, but given he was slow to get going last year he may just be a slow starter. Which sucks in a shortened season because you just have less games for guys to get going. If it takes him like 20+ games to get going, that's like a third or more of the season.

Is Gusev a slow starter or just a player who accumulated points in games that were for the most part meaningless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad