Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If they want to resign Lehner, they’re not keeping Flower around

I didn't say they were keeping him around.

If he’s splitting duties with Blackwood, I don’t see any issues for a 37 year old goaltender.

I didn't say anything about his age or his performance moving forward.

These are the types of deals we need to make. We’d be getting a solid mentor for Blackwood, a legit asset to eat 14M$ over 2 years giving them the shot to resign the #1 goalie they really want for nothing else but cap space. It fixes our problem and we can gain an asset on top of it.

These types of deals, yes. Again, I've advocated for using cap space as an asset. I don't believe that we are buying out Cory, I don't believe that we would pay that much for the goaltenders all told. You're talking 7.5 hit (6.5 real dollars, which is super important), 3M for Cory's buy out, and probably close to 3 million on a bridge deal for Blackwood. If we take on MAF, which I'm fine with, I think Cory goes back, which negates any potential negative value MAF would have. So you're likely not getting a sweetener worth while. If we do buy out Cory, I would expect us to shoot smaller in terms of backup goalie; think Reimer in Carolina. Minor cap hit with even smaller real cash figure.

Also, their money is kind of just fine. They have 6 million in space right now which would be enough to re-sign Lehner long term, who seems to want long term security more than anything. Their UFAs are largely role players; guys like Merrill can go. They can retain what they need to on MAF to make him a reasonable asset for somebody. Retaining 2 million will not kill them.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Maybe Vegas returns the picks NJ paid for Gusev? Hard to know if Fleury is ready to accept another time share or if he still sees himself as a frontline starter. If the latter, I don't want his agent anywhere near a young team.

I'd really love to get that pick back somehow just so we could put out good offer sheets for Cernak or Dunn

Reactions: My3Sons

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
never bad to have someone who was actually successful at this level / experienced as a player as a coach. nothing can hurt at this point.

Reactions: Darkauron

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm curious if he's had his finger prints on any specific players that have developed in Pitt into productive players.

Pitt obviously has the luxury of two of the best players of this generation at center as well, that certainly helps things.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It would be nice if we could break this Pit cast off obsession we have had since Shero took over...

That said, I don't mind the Recchi hire.

Well, Recchi has a ton of clout and is a winner.

Unlike almost every other PIT retread we took on under Shero.

I like this move a lot.

for old times sake!! :scared:

hynes
fitzgerald
nasreddine

stempniak
kennedy
farnham
warsofsky
bennett
lovejoy
gibbons
dea
agostino
tangradi

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
The point is we need to be looking to sign guys like Dillon to supplement guys like Severson. And just because those guys will be available does not mean the Devils will be able to get even 1 of them. Plenty of other teams need DMen and have expendable assets just like we do.

and I am not sure what Dadonov has to do with anything as he is UFA in a few weeks.

With the (very) long list of available defensemen available in free agency this summer that I listed yesterday, and the (very) little amount of teams with a lot of cap room to sign these said UFA defensemen, I think it is very possible the Devils would be able to include Severson in a deal for Laine, and then sign 3 of Krug, Barrie, Vatanen, Greene, Gudas, Tanev, Dillon, Hamonic, Brodie, Hainsey, Shattenkirk, Schultz, Demelo, Braun, and Borowiecki to replace the loss of Severson as well as address the need for defensemen.

Say you trade Severson, Boqvist, 18th overall, and 20th overall for Laine. Then you sign one of Barrie/Brodie/Shattenkirk/Schultz to replace Severson, one of Krug/Dillon/Tanev/Vatanen to pair with the defenseman you just signed, and then one of Greene/Hainsey/Boroweicki/Demelo/Braun to play on the 3rd pair. Isn't that very realistic in this flat cap offseason where there are a huge glut of UFA defensemen and not a lot of teams with room to sign them?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Recchi knows how to win, and it's great that we now have a voice like that behind the bench.

Now, I really want a guy who knows how to play like a Devil. Round out this bench with a Brylin, Madden or Elias type and I'd be ecstatic.

Reactions: Guadana

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
With the (very) long list of available defensemen available in free agency this summer that I listed yesterday, and the (very) little amount of teams with a lot of cap room to sign these said UFA defensemen, I think it is very possible the Devils would be able to include Severson in a deal for Laine, and then sign 3 of Krug, Barrie, Vatanen, Greene, Gudas, Tanev, Dillon, Hamonic, Brodie, Hainsey, Shattenkirk, Schultz, Demelo, Braun, and Borowiecki to replace the loss of Severson as well as address the need for defensemen.

Say you trade Severson, Boqvist, 18th overall, and 20th overall for Laine. Then you sign one of Barrie/Brodie/Shattenkirk/Schultz to replace Severson, one of Krug/Dillon/Tanev/Vatanen to pair with the defenseman you just signed, and then one of Greene/Hainsey/Boroweicki/Demelo/Braun to play on the 3rd pair. Isn't that very realistic in this flat cap offseason where there are a huge glut of UFA defensemen and not a lot of teams with room to sign them?

Like I said man, that just isn't realistic.

I absolutely HATE this "we'll trade this guy and then just sign anotehr guy to replace the guy we just traded" line of thinking. It never works out the way you want.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
Like I said man, that just isn't realistic.

I absolutely HATE this "we'll trade this guy and then just sign anotehr guy to replace the guy we just traded" line of thinking. It never works out the way you want.

Except it does many time.. And sure, even if it doesn't, you do realize we aren't winning the 2021 Stanley Cup right? It's just not happening. So having a hole there isn't the worst thing when you created that hole by acquiring a 22 year old superstar who currently averages 37 goals per 82. And is only getting better.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The point is we need to be looking to sign guys like Dillon to supplement guys like Severson. And just because those guys will be available does not mean the Devils will be able to get even 1 of them. Plenty of other teams need DMen and have expendable assets just like we do.

and I am not sure what Dadonov has to do with anything as he is UFA in a few weeks.

Zadorov, my bad.

The point is if we can acquire a top #4 dman because we have assets and most importantly because we have a shit load of cap space, it puts us in the drivers seat if we do want to trade for, or sign, one or three dmen.

Damon Severson is not the next coming of Jesus Christ and wouldn’t be that hard to replace. If that’s the guy Winnipeg wants as the main piece, you pull the trigger and look to replace his above average offensive game and his mediocre defensive game elsewhere.

I don’t think you know just how good Patrick Laine really is and I’m certain you’re giving way too much credit to a guy you’ve watched play with us for close to 6 years now.

I’ll just ask you this, would we lose a step if we were to lose Severson and replace him with Vatanen? I know we have to upgrade our blueline but losing a top #4 dman in favour of a 22 year old goal machine is perfectly fine by me if we go out and add some solid depth on the backline as well.

The NHL doesn’t a limit on the number of moves a team can make per year, so I don’t know why were so worried we couldn’t find a replacement and more help on our blueline by taking advantage of cap strapped teams, the expansion draft and free agency.

On a more realistic note, someone like Anthony Mantha would be an ideal target and wouldn’t cost as much. We would also get to keep Severson, which would make everyone on here jump for joy!

Reactions: MikeyFlynn

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
On a more realistic note, someone like Anthony Mantha would be an ideal target and wouldn’t cost as much. We would also get to keep Severson, which would make everyone on here jump for joy!

Unless you talk to Detroit fans. Seriously, whenever they put him in trade proposals, the ask is insane....like nothing I would ever dream of giving up. I think when they broached it for us, they asked for two firsts, which I just would never do for him.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The thing about the Laine trade is that the hypothetical trade proposed (Severson, Boqvist, 18 & 20) probably isn't even enough to get the foot in the door of negotiations, so it's kind of silly to keep beating the prospect of getting him at that price point into the ground. I just don't think that's a realistic compensation package.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Unless you talk to Detroit fans. Seriously, whenever they put him in trade proposals, the ask is insane....like nothing I would ever dream of giving up. I think when they broached it for us, they asked for two firsts, which I just would never do for him.

Well the good news is that Fitzgerald doesn’t have to negotiate with anyone on HF boards. The other good news is that Detroit is looking for picks and prospects and I for one can see Yzerman being interested in a Boqvist/Zacha/etc + 18th or 20th overall pick for his bulky winger.

That for me would be a deal that would benefit both teams. We get some much needed help up front by adding size and goals in Mantha and Detroit keeps on stockpiling assets for their rebuild.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The thing about the Laine trade is that the hypothetical trade proposed (Severson, Boqvist, 18 & 20) probably isn't even enough to get the foot in the door of negotiations, so it's kind of silly to keep beating the prospect of getting him at that price point into the ground. I just don't think that's a realistic compensation package.

This I agree with. They need a 2nd line center and a top#4 dman.

We can offer them Severson but we’re still missing half of their puzzle they want in return for Laine. Carolina has both pieces... it’s just a matter of do they actually want Patrick Laine?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
@AlexTheDevilsFan actually the reason those teams keep getting bounced is combination of crappy organization, garbage defense, and / or garbage goaltending. The Canucks are top heavy as well (maybe not much as the oilers though) and almost got to the finals. Difference is they actually play some defense and got good goaltending. I imagine their coach is alright too, don't know anything about him.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
Well the good news is that Fitzgerald doesn’t have to negotiate with anyone on HF boards. The other good news is that Detroit is looking for picks and prospects and I for one can see Yzerman being interested in a Boqvist/Zacha/etc + 18th or 20th overall pick for his bulky winger.

That for me would be a deal that would benefit both teams. We get some much needed help up front by adding size and goals in Mantha and Detroit keeps on stockpiling assets for their rebuild.

Mantha is too old for the Devils to give up assets to acquire. As Fitzgerald stated, we should be adding players in the age range of Jack (19) and Nico (21). Laine (22) fits that bill perfectly. Mantha (26) does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad